Epi LP Prophecy GX + LP Custom Maple EMGs
MIJ Soloist XL '93 =]
MIJ Fender Strat Kahler
Squire tele '94?
Warlock platinum '90? old shape

Laney VC15

Jackhammer
TRADES????
The Hellraiser by alot, at least the one I played.

Every guitar is different remember.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Both are very good but Jackson supposedly have "weaker" truss rods. I love my Jackson but have never personally tried either of those guitars. And ofc, you would agree that playing them both would be the only way to know which one you like more, right?
HAHAH EVERYONE that chose the RR3 is a fan boy or has never even touched a hellraiser. I have owned both and the Schecter is unbeatable.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

Quote by Vanquish
HAHAH EVERYONE that chose the RR3 is a fan boy or has never even touched a hellraiser. I have owned both and the Schecter is unbeatable.

The pot calls the kettle black

Jackson is MIJ, and is built a lot better than the Hellraiser, plus the handshaped neck is better. Gives the guitar more character than the mass produced stuff Schecter makes.
I love the quality of my Jackson, but my next guitar will probably be a Schecter. The generalization I hear on UG when comparing Jacksons verses Schecter is that the Schecters have better design elements for the money (like neck though construction) but that Jackson (Pro line or better) has better attention to detail and are more reliable. My own opinion is you're not likely to notice the difference. I'd get the one you want most.
The Hellraiser DESTROYS the RR3 - the Jackson feels like to toy to me.
ESP EC-1000
Schecter Demon
Ibanez RG350DX
Ibanez SZ720FM
Fender Standard Strat
BC Rich MM Warlock
Jay Turser JTB-445
Takamine Jasmine C33
Crate Blackheart 5W
Traynor T10/B
Metal Muff
I've played both and ended up purchasing the Hellraiser myself. Better features and construction in my opinion.

The best guitar in the world... is the one you like the best.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Jackson is OVER THE TOP OVER THE TOP!

No one probably gets that joke...and it's not really all that funny even if you do get it.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
How the f*ck are you gonna get a cat to bark?

---------------------------5------8-----7-
----------------5-------------------------
------------------1-3-3-------/6----/5----
-1/3--1-1h3-------------------------------

Matt Freeman>You
Quote by TheBassMan3

No one probably gets that joke...and it's not really all that funny even if you do get it.

Right now it's killing time

Also bad joke
Quote by FRDesign
Ide rather have an RR3. Duncans, and MIJ. Plus it has a thin neck.

Thats a bad thing considering the Hellraiser is MIK and it rapes the hell out of the quality on a japanese guitar.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

...hardware doesn't and never did make a good guitar.

I've found every Jacksons from the pro or MG series (i.e all the Japananese made Jacksons) to be fantastic value and use good timbers. I've found Schecters to be well built. But not extraordinary. And the woods were of way less quality than Jackson's.
Quote by Pott
...hardware doesn't and never did make a good guitar.

I've found every Jacksons from the pro or MG series (i.e all the Japananese made Jacksons) to be fantastic value and use good timbers. I've found Schecters to be well built. But not extraordinary. And the woods were of way less quality than Jackson's.

And how exactly do you know this?
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by TheBassMan3

Thats that gay bullet for my valentine song...lol
Quote by Hakael
And how exactly do you know this?

By listening. Something which seems to be forgotten nowadays Just play your guitars unamplified and listen to the wood. Hardware unfortunately WILL slightly influence the tone, but at least you take away all electronical factors.
That's funny, I played a MIJ Soloist at Ken Stanton on the same amp and cab and it sounded thin compared to the Hellraiser I played there right afterwords. It's funny how Jackson puts a JB pup in an Alder guitar.. Crappy tone IMO.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

I agree with that. The JB isn't the best complement. A 250K pot improves things but it IS a bright tone.

However keep in mind this: the soloist is NOT much of a rythm guitar, and most Jacksons aren't! The woods used enhance mids and high end mostly, it's a guitar made to cut through a mix and feel like your own dick. The Hellraisers pobably have a slightly thicker/bigger rythm tone.
i have a rr3 and i would recomend it ive never played a schecter hellraise but ive heard good things about them if you can try them out thats what i would do, but from my experience i would say jackson is better just because thats what i use.
Quote by Pott
By listening. Something which seems to be forgotten nowadays Just play your guitars unamplified and listen to the wood. Hardware unfortunately WILL slightly influence the tone, but at least you take away all electronical factors.

That makes it subjective to the person listening to it then. Does not mean they use worse wood.

I try all the guitars without an amp at the store, at least for the most part. I do that to listen for any odd issues the guitar might have, like rattling, loose parts.

I've preferred the tone of many of the Schecter guitars I've tried to Epiphone, Jackson, and Ibanez.

By your convictions, I could easily state that those three use subpar wood in comparison to the Schecters.
i've owned a hellraiser and now i own a rr3. i love/d them both but i got bored of the superstrat shape. i love the fact that the rr3 is made in jap and i love the thinness and smoothness of the neck but i love the set neck and better fret access on the schecter. go try them out and decide for urself.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by Hakael
That makes it subjective to the person listening to it then. Does not mean they use worse wood.

I try all the guitars without an amp at the store, at least for the most part. I do that to listen for any odd issues the guitar might have, like rattling, loose parts.

I've preferred the tone of many of the Schecter guitars I've tried to Epiphone, Jackson, and Ibanez.

By your convictions, I could easily state that those three use subpar wood in comparison to the Schecters.

Sound is. Timber quality is not. Ultimately of course it translates to sound, so you've got a point. All I'm saying is, in my experience, Jacksons use woods that resonate more, longer, with a harmonically richer content. If it's not what you want, so be it, go for the duller sounding guitars. Don't listen with your eyes though.

Also, rattles and loose parts can always be changed and problems gotten rid off. You're stuck with the wood though. I don't listen and go for setup faults as I can correct them myself. Woods is what matters to me.
Quote by Pott
Sound is. Timber quality is not. Ultimately of course it translates to sound, so you've got a point. All I'm saying is, in my experience, Jacksons use woods that resonate more, longer, with a harmonically richer content. If it's not what you want, so be it, go for the duller sounding guitars. Don't listen with your eyes though.

Also, rattles and loose parts can always be changed and problems gotten rid off. You're stuck with the wood though. I don't listen and go for setup faults as I can correct them myself. Woods is what matters to me.

I'm aware that rattles and loose parts can be fixed/changed. Setup faults I can fix myself as well. What I should have made more clear, is that by checking for those faults, I'm also given a good idea of how the wood sounds. Wood matters to me to, and I've heard some rather bad sounding Jackson's (and other guitars) in comparison. Taking tone, resonance, and sustain in question.

What does that mean? Good AND bad wood sometimes make it into guitars. On average, I've preferred the tone of Schecters. Have they always been better in comparisons? No. My point, before you buy, really give it a try and make your own decisions.
I own a Jackson RR3 and I admit, it is quite a good guitar. I've tried out a Schecter Hellraiser in store, and despite all the great rants and raves about it, I was majorly disappointed with the guitar. The neck feels very thick and awkward in my hand (then again, I am used to Ibanez Wizard necks) and the sound was average at best. However, this could have been the poor set up (the guitar was at the front and it WAS Soundcontrol...).
Quote by Hakael
I'm aware that rattles and loose parts can be fixed/changed. Setup faults I can fix myself as well. What I should have made more clear, is that by checking for those faults, I'm also given a good idea of how the wood sounds. Wood matters to me to, and I've heard some rather bad sounding Jackson's (and other guitars) in comparison. Taking tone, resonance, and sustain in question.

What does that mean? Good AND bad wood sometimes make it into guitars. On average, I've preferred the tone of Schecters. Have they always been better in comparisons? No. My point, before you buy, really give it a try and make your own decisions.

I entirely agree with you of course. All I was saying is that I've had better experiences with Jacksons. Better built in general I felt overall than the Schecters. I've found binding issues and wiring issues with Schecters. Never had a bad Jackson. I've played more Schecters overall. Mostly S and Hellraisers models but they're all made in the same factory (the Diamond Series that is). All you had to read into this is that overall I found Jackson to be more consistent.

If a guitar doesn't resonate but still sounds great, it's still good for me.
Jackson by a LONG shot.

its really inarguable.

let's be honest here guys, fanboys aside.
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
Well assuming that you are listening to the wood as Pott suggests, they're made of woods on opposite ends of the spectrum: Alder and Mahogany, so they will sound entirely different. Alder will be brighter and Mahogany will be "duller," aka darker or deeper.

Personally I vote for the Hellraiser, but it depends on if you're aiming more for soloing or for a good all-around metal guitar.
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.
jacksons= awsome lead guitars, but not so amazing rythm guitars
schecters= pretty good lead, but crazy good rythm guitars

it depends what you plan on playing, if you want to tear it up and shred peoples faces off while putting a good riff or two into the mix the jackson is the way to go, their necks are made or soloing, but not so much for rythm guitar because sometimes it is too thin, but because of this thin-ness it is gives superb upper fret access compared to the shecter.

schecters are made more for rythm because of the thicker necks and the darker sounding pickups(which can always be changed), also the wood doesnt resonate as much as a jackson which wouldnt give very good lead tones compared to a jackson.

so i go with jackson but it really is total preference and how YOU want to play and what feels right to YOU not to us.
Last edited by ironman1478 at Mar 14, 2008,
Quote by ironman1478
jacksons= awsome lead guitars, but not so amazing rythm guitars
schecters= pretty good lead, but crazy good rythm guitars

it depends what you plan on playing, if you want to tear it up and shred peoples faces off while putting a good riff or two into the mix the jackson is the way to go, their necks are made or soloing, but not so much for rythm guitar because sometimes it is too thin, but because of this thin-ness it is gives superb upper fret access compared to the shecter.

schecters are made more for rythm because of the thicker necks and the darker sounding pickups(which can always be changed), also the wood doesnt resonate as much as a jackson which wouldnt give very good lead tones compared to a jackson.

so i go with jackson but it really is total preference and how YOU want to play and what feels right to YOU not to us.

That analogy sucked; Jeff Loomis is way better than your average metal lead guitarist, and you know it...
And Schecter has darker sounding pickups?! wtf!? EMGs and Duncan JB's aren't bright enough for you?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by IbanezPsycho
My vote is the Hellraiser...

Seconded.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Thirded
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

I would go for the Jackson, but if it was a C-1 Classic instead of the Hellraiser, i might change my mind...
Fender American Vintage '62 Jaguar
Fender Crafted in Japan '62 Telecaster
THD Flexi-50 + Vox V112HTV Handwired Cab
hellraiser, they play like buttah
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
RR3 is superior to hellreaiser. Specialy for shreding.
Quote by Spellcaster
Yes I have sigged myself.
Page 1 of 2