How is it that people are most likely to focus on one problem in their lives in spite of having so many good things going on for them. For example: College student in a good university, comes from well-off family, does well in school, but is terribly depressed because of a frustrating girl/boyfriend.

In the same way, how is it that people are most likely to overlook one good thing in their lives because of having so many other problems? Example: Kid who lives in depressed area, worries about getting shot when s/he steps outside, gets beaten up in school, cannot appreciate the fact the he still gets to eat thrice a day.

I'm not generalizing as I am sure UGers [most] have deeper perspective of things but is it human nature to be automatically focused, drawn I should say, to the negative aspects of situations more than positive ones?

Incontentment maybe?
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
Yes. Maybe thats part of why they only show bad stuff on the news...
I believe in Rock and Roll. Can I get an Amen?

Quote by rizo299
A drunk guy on the the bus asked me if i remembered the 60's. I told him i was 17 then he told me that everyone remembers the 60's.

I thought about it, and frankly, I couldn't fault his logic.
fair enough
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
I agree.. I have a great life and yet for a while I was in total depression over a girl.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Because too many bitchy little middle-class kids are raised to believe the world owes them something. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.

/stealing quotes.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
maybe because were used to the things that are going for us, but depression from a bf/gf would be more current.
Quote by rcw110131
Don't be gay you retard.
being happy / used to something is normal. so to be upset or depressed about something is an anomaly, so the focus is on that due to the fact we're not normally used to it and take happiness etc for-granted.
Gear:
Mesa Dual Rectifier
Mesa 4x12 Cab
Marshall 4x12 Cab

Gibson SG Standard + Bare KnucklePickups - Warpigs
Gould Les Paul + BKP's - Crawlers
See Through Acrylic Strat

Zakk Wylda Wah
Original Crybaby
Boss Flanger
Boss Phase Shifter
human nature it is, my nature it aint.... but it was before i guess, i dont really get as depressed about **** anymore
BE HAPPY

Quote by ajmasterjaydude
so this kid at my school microwaved brussel sprouts for lunch, and when he was about to eat them one of them exploded on his face and burned him. i like turtles

in a thread about malmsteen^
im the opposite of the first example you gave. i have a good relationship, lots of close freinds, generally happy, but i come from a poor family and i want to go to college desperately.
My live set-up:
72 Tele Custom
TC Electronics Polytune
MXR Dynacomp
deviever Shoe Gazer
Way Huge Red Llama Clone
Effector13 Soda Meiser
Vintage Proco Rat
DOD Buzzbox
Dwarfcraft Robot Devil
EA Tremolo
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Traynor YBA-2B
Quote by doctorums
im the opposite of the first example you gave. i have a good relationship, lots of close freinds, generally happy, but i come from a poor family and i want to go to college desperately.

Which do you focus more on?
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by kikaykitko
Which do you focus more on?

at the moment i'm homeless and unemployed so i need to work on those first. thank jebus for public libraries.
My live set-up:
72 Tele Custom
TC Electronics Polytune
MXR Dynacomp
deviever Shoe Gazer
Way Huge Red Llama Clone
Effector13 Soda Meiser
Vintage Proco Rat
DOD Buzzbox
Dwarfcraft Robot Devil
EA Tremolo
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Traynor YBA-2B
Quote by doctorums
at the moment i'm homeless and unemployed so i need to work on those first. thank jebus for public libraries.

Oh..my..I hope things get better for you.
Quote by Jackal58
The same reason when you multiply a negative by a positive you get a negative!

Well...maybe not the exact same reason...but if you win the lottery and find the love of your life and have a beautiful family and own large piles of gold and money, you'd still be distraught if someone rings you up and says your mum's died
Some people wait a lifetime, some simply accept...

...Some of us crash land, some of us eject...

...Some restore the blood flow, some just let it go and bleed...

...Some of us obsess, some move on to something new
Perception is all relative. If you have spent all of your life getting 3 meals a day, you only feel different about the subject if you get fewer or more per day. The brain has a habit of accepting and ignoring constants.

In some situations, otherwise fortunate people will complain about individual grieviances in their life as a show of modesty, and as a way of finding common ground with others.
As soon as you realize that everyone dies eventually, it makes it that much easier to focus on the good things in life.
Is it a bad thing if one of your testicles is larger then the other two?
Quote by blue_strat
Perception is all relative. If you have spent all of your life getting 3 meals a day, you only feel different about the subject if you get fewer or more per day. The brain has a habit of accepting and ignoring constants.

In some situations, otherwise fortunate people will complain about individual grieviances in their life as a show of modesty, and as a way of finding common ground with others.

Makes a lot of sense.
Quote by Jackal58
According to Maslow's hierarchy of needs, the primary concern for humans is to first satisfy physiological needs such as food, water, air, sex, excretion. Then once those are satisfied, safety and security become the main concern. After that, friendship, family, and feelings of belonging. Then people need self-esteem and something to value in life like a career or a hobby. The final tier is self actualization, but that is pretty rare (think Jesus or Ghandi).

Long answer for a simple question - its just human nature. We aren't supposed to worry about getting food if it is available. And similarly, if it's not available then we shouldn't be worried about getting shot walking downtown.

If you're financially stable and don't have to worry about getting enough food or being safe, the next thing you have to worry about is being in a relationship.
This is actually a fair thread for once
Quote by darkstar2466

I love you.

Quote by rabidguitarist

Can I be your adopted parent? I'd love you like a real son.

"Arguing over the internet is like the special olympics. No matter who wins, your both still retards." - A man of many muffins
Quote by Michael_Hunt
According to Maslow's hierarchy of needs, the primary concern for humans is to first satisfy physiological needs such as food, water, air, sex, excretion. Then once those are satisfied, safety and security become the main concern. After that, friendship, family, and feelings of belonging. Then people need self-esteem and something to value in life like a career or a hobby. The final tier is self actualization, but that is pretty rare (think Jesus or Ghandi).

Long answer for a simple question - its just human nature. We aren't supposed to worry about getting food if it is available. And similarly, if it's not available then we shouldn't be worried about getting shot walking downtown.

If you're financially stable and don't have to worry about getting enough food or being safe, the next thing you have to worry about is being in a relationship.

Haven't seen that in awhile

Doesnt that mean we're never content because there's always something we don't have and we want?
Quote by Jackal58