Ok given what I have for my setup (Epi LP silverburst w/Crate GLX212) what pedals or whatever would I need to get the sound and tone of eddie. Im on a budget so I cant go and get the EVH pedals. What would yall recommend?
A new amp would do it. You won't be able to replicate the brown sound with a transistor amp like that.

You could try to play with the EQ but meh.

Try to dime the mids and keep the bass high and the highs low.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
go for a used 5150 combo possibly?
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
go for a used 5150 combo possibly?

5150's are not the be all end all. They don't do EVH. For EVH, you need a Marshall Voiced amp like a JCM800. Crank your mids and treble, and roll back your bass. Set your drive around 5 or 6 and tweak it to taste. Then, you need a fairly bright, crunchy humbucker for your pickup, with a lot of presence and a good mid bump, while keeping plenty tight bass response and medium high output.
See I dont know much when it comes to amps. I was lookin at the 5150's on ebay but I didnt know what good price was on them since they were so far spaced out. So I just found this crate at the pawn shop for $250 so I snatched it up and it works perfectly.
No i was just making a suggestion I've played one once and didn't really like it actually. But I would think it would to Van Halen pretty well considering its Eddies amp.

You might wanna try ceriatone Plexi or a Used JCM 800
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by robertstnnnr33
See I dont know much when it comes to amps. I was lookin at the 5150's on ebay but I didnt know what good price was on them since they were so far spaced out. So I just found this crate at the pawn shop for $250 so I snatched it up and it works perfectly.

Quick amp lesson. Tube amps are 1000x than solid states. They provide fuller, more robust and natural sounds. If you want to get eddies tone, your going to need something voiced like a marshall JCM800. Pedals can't achieve that tone
For the first album tone try adding quite a bit of reverb and phaser. Other than that, I'd put the mid on full, treble and bass just above the half mark, but you've really got to see what works with your amp. Also try using tonnes of compression.
Last edited by Les Paul Ell at Mar 6, 2008,
Quote by robertstnnnr33
how much does a used JCM800 run

You could probably pick up the head for about 800 used.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
yea like i said im on a budget and that would be kinda exceding it. there is other stuff i plan on doin like replacing my pick ups i have the factory stock im thinkin bout gettin some seymour duncan or emgs. I play very diverse types of music
Quote by robertstnnnr33
yea like i said im on a budget and that would be kinda exceding it. there is other stuff i plan on doin like replacing my pick ups i have the factory stock im thinkin bout gettin some seymour duncan or emgs. I play very diverse types of music

Pickups don't make that much of a big difference.

If you insist on pickups though, get something that has a nice mid spike. It'll probably be easier to achieve the Brown Sound that way.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Edit:I realize that the TS stated he's on a budget, & can only get marginally near an EVH sound, esp w/o phaser, flanger, or echo, but I decided to post anyway, because this is the only way to nail it.

Depends on how picky you are about the EVH tone. Do want the real EVH brown sound, or the 5150 tone (which IMO is not nearly as good). I've been after that tone for years, & have tried dozens of amps,pickups,pedals,guitars, & cabs. I finally nailed the VH1 tone almost exactly, with all the richness, air, & depth that goes with it, & at almost any volume using a Mojave Scorpion 50W non-master volume head (connected to a load box instead of a speaker) re-amped into a separate power amp.
There are no pedals that will give you that tone, only pedals that will mimic his phaser/flanger settings. Your best bet if you want the cheapest genuine REAL brown sound would probably be a cranked NON-MASTER VOLUME (this is key) Ceriatone 50W or 100W plexi into a load box (like a Hot Plate set to "load", then into a Crate Power Block (cheap power amp which drives your cab). You'll need an OD/dist & EQ (w/ boosted mids) in front of the amp, as well as a phaser. Between the Ceriatone & Power Block, you put the echo/reverb. The flanger can go in front or between the amps, whatever sounds best to you. Use a medium output pickup like a re-issue PAF, approx 8.5K ohms.
Again, this depends on how close you want the tone, because if you can play the VH songs really well, it'll sound Eddie-ish on almost any decent metal setup w/ boosted mids. You'll need to play around w/ reverb & echo settings so they are very conspicuous, but not dominating the tone.

Sorry about the long post, but this is the real deal.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Last edited by riffhog at Mar 6, 2008,
Quote by robertstnnnr33
Thanks it seems like you really hit it on the head.

It took years to figure all that stuff out!
The main thing is that EVH will sound like EVH no matter what setup he's playing. I've heard a local VH tribute band guitarist (Terry Lauderdale-serious badass) screwing around playing VH through a $150 US (ebay) Fender Princeton 112+ w/ all the controls dimed, & it sounded exactly like VH2. Just straight into the amp, no FX at all.
He's got every nuance of Eddie's technique duplicated so well, you'd swear you're hearing Eddie! It's like they say, 80-90% is the player & maybe 10-20% is the gear.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

yea i just found a youtube video where eddie was saying people always wanted the brown sound but it wasnt anything special he just cranked every setting
Pardon me for asking which might be a stupid question, but do you think an EVH tone is possible with my peavey classic 50?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by riffhog
It's like they say, 80-90% is the player & maybe 10-20% is the gear.

Yeah, this statement is true. If you had Eddie Van Halen's tone, as in all his equipment. Your tone would sound like his, well it would be his, but you wouldn't sound like him because you would probably play a little different. (Which isn't a bad thing, to me at least. )

I like his tone too. He used a Plexi, right? Although Plexi's get REALLY loud in order to distort. So, if you can afford this, I think its an 18 watt Plexi, but I hear those have a lower head room (I think is what they call it) and it's quieter.

I'm trying to get a Two Channel JCM800 as well. They usually go for around $800-Mid$1000, as the guy somewhere above me said.

Quote by robertstnnnr33
yea i just found a youtube video where eddie was saying people always wanted the brown sound but it wasnt anything special he just cranked every setting

Eddie has lied about tons of things concerning his gear just to f#@k with people. He's said in interviews that he cranked his Variac to 130-140 volts to watch the tubes melt while getting his brown sound, when in reality he was lowering the voltage to around 85 volts. He also said he boiled his strings & dried them in the sun to pre-stretch them so they wouldn't go out of tune w/ his primitive whammy bar. Countless numbers of people believed crocks of sh!t like this. His setup was pretty far from simple (my setup I mentioned previously is a simpler version of EVH's).
He may have dimed every setting, but he lowered the voltage to minimze wear & damage, & it definitely was not that simple.

Edit: It IS kind of funny that Terry got that killer VH sound from a Fender Princeton 112+ dimed though. I have one of those amps, & my Mojave rig sounds way more like VH!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard

Last edited by riffhog at Mar 6, 2008,
Riffhog: 100% right. Ive been trying to get the EVH tone for a while now as well, not as long as you (I dont think) but Ive been searching. On a budget, if you want to get a moderate like EVH tone, get a multi effects pedal and play like Eddie! Really, unless your using his wide vibrato, and pinch harmonics, you won't be able to sound like Eddie. You might SOUND like him, but you wont really sound like him... get it?
My favorite EVH like tone at the moment is a modded JCM 800 that is variaced (sp?). If you can also get an attenuator to help drive the tubes harder, you will benefit from it!
you can get as close to his tone as you want but you cant replicate the way he plays the man is one of a kind... his pick attack and teqniqes play a big roll in the sound just the touch he has assd a sound as well