hey, for pep band and a state basketball tourney, me (bass) and drummer joked around with some songs, and joked around with Are You Gonna Be My Girl by Jet...and just so happened we were on Fox News that night for that......is there any copyright stuff that we should be worried about?
haha umm i dont think so as long as you werent making money off it, plus people cover songs all the time, and no1 cares rlly as long as u dont make money off it...

w00t
Quote by britneyspears69
I got my first guitar recently and people are telling me to get pickups. I don't get it. What do they do? Do they help you when you drop your pick?
Quote by guitarsolo_17
hey, for pep band and a state basketball tourney, me (bass) and drummer joked around with some songs, and joked around with Are You Gonna Be My Girl by Jet...and just so happened we were on Fox News that night for that......is there any copyright stuff that we should be worried about?

I don't think so because you're not recording it as an official cover... but in all honesty i have no idea

Sorry for the lack of help.
they probably thought you were good, i wouldnt worry about it.

its not like you realeased under your name, it was a cover
sacrificial beaver of the laney cult

~Gear~

Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
ESP LTD F-2005
Laney VH100R *with free cab*
Roland Cube 60
Cort Acoustic
Reporters will jump on anything to write about it - that's how they get paid. I've seen loads of bands improv on songs like that; it probably isn't that big a problem.
i would highly doubt it considering 1)you werent passing it off as your own 2) you probably didnt play the whole thing 3) someone would have to be a complete jackass to sue college kids for something like that..
If you got sued for it, you could sue Jet for ripping off Iggy Pop
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
You are going to start being followed around by 5 men, all named Mr. Smith. Next thing you know, the police are kicking down your doors, and destroying all your ****. You will never be seen from/heard of again.

Moral of the story: Don't fu ck with the RIAA.
"...And I'm pretty sure what you did to my children's snowman is illegal, if not, sodomy."
-Stephen Colbert: 'The Colbert Report'
They won't care unless you were making money off their song, in which case they'd be asking for a slice. I guess Jet just see it as publicity.
Quote by guitarsolo_17

No, you'll be fine.
Terms and Conditions apply.
First of all the responsibility is with the broadcaster, if anyone had to pay fees to license use of the song it would be them (and maybe they did).

But if it's just a very short clip, it will come under "Fair use", which is a bit of a legal minefield and not likely that they would be challenged on it.
if bands couldn't make money for playing other peoples songs , cover bands would be obsolete
Quote by guitarsolo_17

no. weird al makes a living off doing that. if worst comes to worst, theyll make you apologize.
Quote by DaStrat0blast3r
no. weird al makes a living off doing that. if worst comes to worst, theyll make you apologize.

He asks for permission.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Quote by Lamrick21
i would highly doubt it considering 1)you werent passing it off as your own 2) you probably didnt play the whole thing 3) someone would have to be a complete jackass to sue college kids for something like that..

k...college kids......but i'm a freshman in high school.
Quote by maccas666
You got a link to the report?
I would like to see it

no, sorry, i didn't even see it., cuz it was live, and i was playing it, not watching tv