Page 1 of 3
I decided to finally make a thread on them (him?), since we talk about it a lot in the A Perfect Circle thread...

For those of you who don't know, ASHES dIVIDE is Billy Howerdell (of A Perfect Circle fame)'s new "solo" project. He's been joined on the project by a lot of very well known musicians (including some that worked with him on A Perfect Circle).

So...discuss.
The.
nice sound they have there....i got only one question does maynards son play the cello ion this band or was i jus misinformed
Quote by marssox
nice sound they have there....i got only one question does maynards son play the cello ion this band or was i jus misinformed

According to wikipedia, its a guy called Devo Keenan, so probably, I dont know the name of Maynards son.

Paz Lenchantin will be working with him as well, I hope he gets a few more ex-APC members to collaborate, sort of mix the different sounds of their albums,. The Stone is a brilliant song, hopefully the rest will be just as good
I've been hearing The Stone lately, and it sounds pretty sweet. I might have to check out the album. When is it released?
We spent a lifetime on the
Beaches of Normandy in vain

Quote by poopsmith666
oooh look at me, i'm clincher, internet tough guy

Quote by theBaartMan
When Nostradamus predicted badassery, he spoke of clincher09.

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
Album comes out April 10th I think. I'm not sure.

Devo Keenan (Maynard's 11 year old son) played the cello on one song for the album for sure. (The Sword, I think)

Here is the video for The Stone. I already posted it in the APC thread.

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=257837505&blogID=364456823

And here is an interview/performance of some other songs from the album. (Which has been seen and discussed in the APC thread, although these videos are from a different radio station and talk about a few different things, like Maynard's sperm and cooking pasta)

Denial Waits
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVoVw1oIIQ8

Forever Can Be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WSeosRnVrg
Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

Wii Is For Queers! Co-Founder Of The "We Hate Wii" Club
Return to a Condition of Being...<-Band. Add plz!
If he named his son after THAT band... I have to question that decision.
Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

I just heard The Stone now and I have to say that I like that song. I will look out for the album.
definitely like the stone... cool song, but i'll have to go check out the rest of his music i guess considering it sounds pretty good
Quote by rockguitarist20
the stone sounds more like a traditional alternative song rather than the prog-art feel of apc.....

You say the truth. I actually think that this time Billy will be hugging the airwaves much more. That's why he needs Maynard to choose the better tracks. But no!!! He just NEEDS to go on his own and choose the "happier" tracks.

I don't think I'll be a big fan of ASHES dIVIDE. But I will check it out cause he was from APC. And APC was fucking awesome. Still is.

ASHES dIVIDE is just for those drooling female groupies that loved his muscular body in APC and can't get enough of that bald sexiness. I have something to say.

MAYNARD IS BALD TOO!!!
I think Howerdel is ALOT more weird looking then Corgan.
Quote by Article

i really like that song "the stone". they sound pretty awesome.
Quote by SteveHouse
M. Night Shyamallama

Billy Corgan doesn't even look close to Billy Howerdel actually.
They're just bald.

Corgan has a moon-shaped face.
Howerdel can fit into a devil anytime soon. Just give him horns.

APC > ASHES dIVIDE
Quote by catchtherainbow
APC > ASHES dIVIDE

True... and I find Billy's lyrics lacking a certain... flow, I guess you could say. Like in the chorus for The Stone, when he says, "...nothing does change..." I just don't like the flow of that. Sounds forced.

Well, I'm nit picking. The music is decent. But, I will pray daily for an APC album in the future. To both God and Satan...

...What? He owes me a favor.
Quote by Article

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
True... and I find Billy's lyrics lacking a certain... flow, I guess you could say. Like in the chorus for The Stone, when he says, "...nothing does change..." I just don't like the flow of that. Sounds forced.

I actually kind of like that part of The Stone...and I like the Stone lyrics in general.

Although I'm not the biggest fan of Billy's voice. It's good, but not amazing.
The.
Well there are parts in the other songs I heard (Radio station performances with Adam Monroe) where Billy's choice of words seem a little off. It isn't just The Stone.
Quote by Article

I think we've just gotten spoiled on Maynard's lyrics, that's all.

We obviousely all forget what normal lyrics should sound like.
The.
Maybe...
Quote by Article

April 8th!! The album's out!

So far,I like the guitar work and the instrumentals...did he get Josh Freese to play drums for him?

Other than that, the singing sounds like something out of Saosin.
I was so looking forward to getting this album today, I went to all the local music shops during lunch and not one had the album. I hate the mainstream-exclusive music shops here
Quote by lolcats
Quote by jemocam
Hells Angles!!!

A gang that likes geometry?

lulz
they're going on tour...uh, projekt revolution i believe..im pretty stoked to see them; they're on the f-ing main stage.

Quote by SteveHouse
M. Night Shyamallama

Quote by catchtherainbow
April 8th!! The album's out!

So far,I like the guitar work and the instrumentals...did he get Josh Freese to play drums for him?

Other than that, the singing sounds like something out of Saosin.

Yup, Josh Freese did the drums.

Anybody, feel free to have a small "review" for the album, I'd like to hear some honest opinions of it before I buy it myself.

And I just found this on the ASHES dIVIDE myspace:

"I just hired a live band to take these songs on the road. Our tour starts in early May in Florida. A few surprise last minute warmup shows should materialize in Southern California in April. The band includes Jeff Friedl on drums, Matt McJunkins on bass, and Andy Gerold on guitar. We started rehearsals this week, and have much to do to pull off the record live. It is going really well so far.

Lastly, many of you ask about the future of APC. As of right now we have no concrete plans for APC stuff. Maynard and I have talked a bit lately about "what if..." but he is currently focused on Puscifer (his new project which came out a few months ago) and I am putting all my energy into ASHES dIVIDE for the foreseeable future."

Anybody know any other the band members? I noticed Adam Monroe's name is mysteriously absent from the list. That's a little depressing.

And the "what if..." about the future of APC inspires a little bit of hope.

And as for the tour... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_F9sfjznSU
Quote by Article

I give the album a 6.5/10.
After repeated listens,the album sounds much better. The music is great, the singing just lacks cause it seems like Billy had his balls squeeze throughout the album. He should have tried to place more emotion into his singing instead of just soaring again and again and again.

Drums are awesome,all the instruments are awesome. I realised that Billy should write like he did for APC, but he sings, that'll be a killer combination.

But yeah,he still needs to learn that he can't always go so high-pitched all the way...it's not exactly high-pitched..but just very "light" feeling vocals.
Quote by Gory Snake
I was so looking forward to getting this album today, I went to all the local music shops during lunch and not one had the album. I hate the mainstream-exclusive music shops here

I know the UK release date isn't til 14th April, was it due out yesterday in Ireland?
Balls, that explains it, I looked all over the net though trying to make sure 8th April was the release date over here as well, clearly not. I found a torrent for the album anyway, I'll buy it as soon as it comes out. It's a great album, shouldn't be compared to APC though, they're 2 seperate bands even if the music was written by the same guy.
Quote by lolcats
Quote by jemocam
Hells Angles!!!

A gang that likes geometry?

lulz
I like the CD. His voice isn't the greatest though. I posted this somewhere else, but its like the music has so much emotion and feeling in it, but his voice is kind of flat?
^ You're speaking the truth. I gave a review a few posts up.
He just seems to be singing in the same pitch without alot of emotion.
He should learn to tone down his vocals instead of soaring high all the time.
I like it alot more than I thought it would. Every song isn't necessarily great all the way through, but every song has at least a cool part or two.

Vocals are definitely the weak spot. His voice, I dunno if he needs to just belt it out, or what, but it's missin just one little thing.
yes devo h keenan he is maynard;s son he kept some backvocals if I am not wrong on perfect circle too also he does play cello in ashes divide also keeps back vocal

ashes divide I still can;t conclud all I can say they good billy hawerdell he is really good guitar player also good singer I need more time as far as I've listen till now they seems to me cool I need more staff
People keep asking us where Paul is. That's a really funny question. See, if Paul was still in the band then we wouldn't have a new fucking record. That's why Paul isn't in the band anymore. (by Maynard James Keenan)
So...I just bought Keep Telling Myself It's Alright.

I'm really likin' it.

Ritual, especially. And Denial Waits.
The.
Youtube have some songs up.

So far I'm digging the music, but I don't like his voice that much.
Denial Waits, Enemies, Sword, Forever can be, and defames are great songs. His voice isn't as bad as you guys are making it out to be, were you really expecting him to have one of the top 5 voices ever?
Page 1 of 3