i have a line 6 hd150, i think its really good i love the distortion sound and the clean sound. i just want to know if theres any other amp out there that has even more extreme high gain distortion.
From the clips I've heard, the Diezel VH4 gets pretty damn dirty. (It also happens to be my dream amp.)
::Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
::Fender MIM HSS Strat w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb and killbutton
::Digitech Whammy, ZVEX Fuzz Factory, EHX MicroSynth, Kaoss Pad 3,
Boss GE-7, Fulltone OCD, Digitech Digidelay, MXR EVH Phase 90, FoxxTone FuzzWahVolume
Randall
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
It's not all about how much distortion when you play metal you know?

Plenty of amps can achieve as much gain as your Line 6. The Peavey Triple XXX and JSX have tones of gain. So do Mesa/Boogie amps, Bogners, Randall and ENGL amps.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Bogner,
Solando,
Peavey,
ENGL,
Framus,
Diezel,
Mako.

So in short, yes

Quote by stephen_rettie
comparing anything to a line 6 spider is pretty worthless in my opinion
but i go either bogner uberschall, or hughes n kettner triamp

Don't generalise
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Last edited by Yngwi3 at Mar 6, 2008,
Quote by Eladamri
+1
I have one, there is nothing to top it. Not only for gain but for quality of tone all through the sound.

Splawn Nitro?
Mako Mak2?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Pretty sure Krank is really high gain. But it's not all about gain, I can shoot my gain through the roof with my EMG gain booster, that's not a problem. I just sounds like crap with way too much gain. You just need enough to get the sound you want, too much gain can sound over saturated and can feedback incessantly, no matter where you are. More gain is not necessarily better.
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
Um, my Mesa has a sheitload of gain on tap, but I don't take it past about 6. It still rips my nuts off with the master on 3.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
I have heard that the Switchblade is a very good amp. Much better than any spider...
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
ya, i love the switchblade. i'm saving up for one right now, but i dont have the room for it in my house (wo is me).
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Line6 Vetta 2 has a ****load of gain; just look at meshuggah's tone.
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
yea but people keep saying that line6 makes bad amps and stuff like that. me i have a spider 3 hd150 and i really like it ,people keep saying this amp is better or that amp is better,im just trying to find a amp that has good distortion cause metal is really all i play.
you don't need insane amounts of gain for metal.
My Gear
Edwards E-LP-98LTC
Ibanez RG 321 MH
Jackson DK2M with tonezone
Mesa Mark III
Tech 21 Trademark 10
Dood get teh MG. The overdrive is crushing and it's a Marshall which means it's automatically good.

/sarcasm
just about any amp with a good distortion pedal infront of it should do fine.
Quote by Glimsom
Well, there was that horrible accident with Metallica, where the entire band had their Metal amputated. =P
I think the point is the TS doesnt want to have to use a pedal for his gain. Iv been playing 15 years and tried a myriad of pedals and nothing comes close to a great high gain amp.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Quote by Slayer566
you don't need insane amounts of gain for metal.

+1

If you play really accurately you don't need as much gain to get the really gainy sound.

Paul Gilbert anyone?

Of all the high end tube amps i've played, the Mark IV seems to have the most gain by far. It is one of the few amps I really don't need an OD with.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
ENGL SE! Or VHT Pitbull
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
plenty of amps can get a more natural heaviness then the HD147. and then even more so by force feeding it some nasty pedals.

Be forewarned that more distortion usually means less clarity. and ironically less heaviness.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
im surprised no one's mentioned 5150s....i thought they were "the brOotalzzz"
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by slash_rocks2005
im surprised no one's mentioned 5150s....i thought they were "the brOotalzzz"

exactly. br0otalzzz indeed.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by IbanezPsycho
+1

5150 and 6505 are insane....

Roger combo is pretty br00tals too not as bruewtal as the head though
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
I can't honestly imagine anyone using the max amount of gain on a 5150, I thought around 3 was MORE then enough for what I was playing on it
Quote by Silky Smooth
I can't honestly imagine anyone using the max amount of gain on a 5150, I thought around 3 was MORE then enough for what I was playing on it

the Mark IV has just as much gain, if not more, and the gain is usable up to 10.

Still then, neither amp should go over like 7 with the gain...it's just overkill.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
the Mark IV has just as much gain, if not more, and the gain is usable up to 10.

Still then, neither amp should go over like 7 with the gain...it's just overkill.

I really need to play a Mark IV...
Quote by thrilla13w

Quote by Slaytanic1993
i don`t know what kind of metal your playing but i own a Line6 75HD 1/2 stack... not for long hopfully LOL but anyway gain is nothing if your guitar sounds like mud.... i`m trying out a Marshall JCM900 and it`s got ALOT of gain if your using EMG`s with the PA2 and it`s crystal clear to me... WAYYYY better then the Line 6, i`m finding it to be great for thrash... i don`t think it`d make a very good death metal amp maybe if you de-tuned your guitar which i`m not gonna try.

and IronMaiden7117 LMFAO OMG... that siggy of yours is a epic WIN!!! HAHA
Quote by JMTrio134
I'm surprised no one has suggested getting a good tube amp and a sweet dist. pedal?

Do you mean something like the Classic 30 and Damage control?

Thats a horrible way to go.

If you play metal, and you have the money, buy something meant for metal, not trying to piece together a usable rig from something unusable by itself. Now if you're strapped for cash and want something to achieve a certain tone, buying something cheaper and buying things to enhance it works fine.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Man thats gotta sound pretty bad though on 10 haha

I can't imagine the kind of tone that would produce
Quote by MESAexplorer

i that part.

and on topic, uhm, the amp with the 'most' gain really depends on each person. what's more important is how well it handles a high amount of gain.

take a marshall mg, it has a lot of gain at around 9'o clock, and then after that it doesn't change much besides getting noisier and less clear.
take a decent/great amp, and most likely it's gain character changes as the gain is pushed more.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008