So what about it? I read this

"Van Halen is well known for boiling new string sets before installation. This contributes to both the playability and tone of the strings.

I boil the strings so they stretch, because if you just put them on and clamp it down, the strings stretch out on the guitar. I just take a pack and let it boil for 20 minutes in the hot water. And then I dry them in the sun, because otherwise they rust."

Any problems with this? Sounds good to me. I also this about floyd rose tremolos,

"If the strings are not properly stretched before locking them in place at the nut, heavy string bending can cause a string (usually the high E string) to stretch beyond the ability of the fine tuner to compensate. This then requires the nut to be unlocked and the string re-adjusted."

I have this problem a lot so I figure boiling is a good solution
Boiling is honestly more of a bassist thing, to clean and brighten up the strings (since bass strings are expensive to replace).

You can do it, but you could also just stretch your strings.

*shrug* Up to you.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot

You can do it, but you could also just stretch your strings.

*shrug* Up to you.

You mean literally grab them and stretch them?
It might work better, but I'm pretty sure that you'd be doing the same thing anyways if you just got through it normally.

A lot of artists make up huge crocks of shit about their tone anyways so I doubt he actually does it. If he does, then more power to him.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
put them on and tune them up. then bend them as much as possible, then retune and repeat until the strings don't go out of tune.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
thats true.. i boil my strings , and they dont stretch at all when i put them on.
if i put a pack of strings on that i dont boil... they stretch on the guitar and go out of tune, and etc.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
put them on and tune them up. then bend them as much as possible, then retune and repeat until the strings don't go out of tune.

^^^
Just stretch them like everyone else....and when I mean stretch them, I mean really stretch them. Sometimes I pick up my guitar by a single string, though usually I just pull on it repeatedly.
Quote by strings-N-stuff
Try to deepfry them. That might work

Oh god, dont say that, I live in the west of scotland and there will be a chip shop offering deep-fried guitar strings soon if they hear about it.

Ive never boiled strings, I normally just stretch them and do extreme bends when I first put them on. Seems to sort them out.
Gear:
PRS Tremonti SE with PRS USA Tremonti pickups
2001 Ibanez RG470
Peavey Bandit 112
Fender Superchamp XD
USA Jackson SL1
mmm nothin like good old fried strings :P
Gear:
Hagstrom Viking cherry
Crate B15 bass amp
Squier SQ MB-5 5-String Bass
Epi Valve Junior head
Russian Muff
FAB Chorus

I HAVE THE RED PUBIS
Crock pot for 2 hours on high. JK

Can't be worth all the work, plus you're creating dishes...
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
It might work better, but I'm pretty sure that you'd be doing the same thing anyways if you just got through it normally.

A lot of artists make up huge crocks of shit about their tone anyways so I doubt he actually does it. If he does, then more power to him.

+1 about the artist comment...
Quote by _BucketHead_
How pedantic can you get. Just put the bloody strings on and play

he'll change strings for every show, and maybe he doesn't like the feel of new strings.

If you can afford to do these weird things, why not do them?

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by I_Am_Iron_Man
More hassle than it's worth.

I agree. It takes all of 5 minutes to stretch the strings after you install them. Seriously, boiling? Come on now
I've heard it doesn't do much to guitar strings because they're too small. Apparently it does help bass strings a lot though. My bassist did it when he was recording his parts for our demo.
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
my friend does boil strings on his bass but i don't see him doing to his guitar.
Ibanez RG1570
B.C. Rich KKV
Jackson RR3
Jackson RR5
Ibanez S320
Ibanez S520EX
Vox AD50VT-XL
Dunlop Zakk Wylde Wah
Marshall 2203KK
Marshall 1960A 4x12 Cab
Boss ML-2 Metalcore
Coffin Case Blooddrive
Guitar strings are 6 bucks a set bass strings are almost 20. And bass strings are all wound so boiling them would save money and probably work. But as 3 of the strings on a guitar are unwound boiling wont put the plating back on so wouldnt do any good to make them last longer. As for boiling them to stretch them then dry them in the sun. Stretching on the guitar is alot faster and less work. And EVH has admitted in articles he said alot of things to send people the wrong way trying to copy something he did. I remember something about him increasing the voltage fed to his amps when he really reduced it. Wonder how many people fried amps following that advice.
I always string up then grab each string at the 12th fret and give it a tug up to stretch em in.

Re-tune and do the same thing until your strings stay in pitch
Quote by pepsi1187
if i put a pack of strings on that i dont boil... they stretch on the guitar and go out of tune, and etc.

..... isnt that whats supposed to happen?
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
The 20 minutes it takes to boil them, you could be stretching them manually and getting them in tune.
High as tits
boiling strings is a stupid idea, it dates back to the times when strings weren't cheap and weren't piss easy to get hold of. In the 60's guitarists sometimes didn't know when they'd be able to get new strings so they had to do whatever was needed to get as much life out of them as possible and boiling could be used as a temporary measure to get another gig or two out of a set.

It's utterly pointless nowadays.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Suicidal_Brick
The 20 minutes it takes to boil them, you could be stretching them manually and getting them in tune.

that' doesn't change the feel of them. which is one of the reasons why EVH boils his strings according to that article.

Quote by element4433