I really want to start building an effects collection so I can have any tone I need. I've been doing tons of research and I know a good bit about what I want. I just don't know about rack gear. Do you guys think it is worth saving up for some nice rack effects/modelers and a good switching system or just get all the stompboxes I need? I know that rack effects aren't necessarily nicer than pedals, but they just have a reputation for being a bit higher quality.

Also as a side note, I was wondering where would a multi-fx/modeling unit go in an effects chain? Since they usually have both distortion and modulation effects, along with compressors and noise gates, I don't know whether to have them in the effects loop, or just go straight in. Thanks.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
I have a Rocktron Expression and I use in in the effects loop on my DC 5. I tried it in front of the JCM800 and it sounded like hell. It has no distortion or overdrive effects in it and with a midimate is very convenient to use. That's my thing with pedals they are easier to get the sound you want without a lot of tinkering, but with the rocktron you can tweak your sound at home store it and use the midimate foot board for quick access to your settings.
Quote by Ir8sob
I have a Rocktron Expression and I use in in the effects loop on my DC 5. I tried it in front of the JCM800 and it sounded like hell. It has no distortion or overdrive effects in it and with a midimate is very convenient to use. That's my thing with pedals they are easier to get the sound you want without a lot of tinkering, but with the rocktron you can tweak your sound at home store it and use the midimate foot board for quick access to your settings.

Yeah I've heard a lot about the Rocktron and I've looked into it. That also sounds like just what I need since I usually just tweak the amp models in garageband and only use a few of my preset tones. How well do you think the Rocktron would compare to something like the Line 6 Podxt Pro or the TC electronic G-major. Those are the 3 that I have had my eye one.
Anyone know anything about em?

I also was wondering if there is a way to set up midi switching to both the rack unit and my amps channel switch at the same time. Like I press one button and it switches to the lead channel on my amp and a couple of effects come on at the same time.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
Last edited by USAPeavey at Mar 6, 2008,