I'm thinking about getting a guitar with a tremolo, and I've heard that locking floating tremolos (like a floyd rose) are good, but annoying to tune and restring. Would it be worth it for me to get a guitar with one if I don't really use a tremolo that much?
Well, if you don't use it much, yes. But I urge you to at least give it a try. You can always block it to dive only, which takes out a lot of the hassle.
do you often switch tunings? even going from standard to drop d is enough to throw everything out of tune.
Quote by CJRocker
Well, if you don't use it much, yes. But I urge you to at least give it a try. You can always block it to dive only, which takes out a lot of the hassle.

+1. Listen to him.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Buy only Edge Pro/Zero Resistance/Original Floyd Rose trems. Licensed trems are extremely bad and last only for a bit.

If you don't want to dish out $1000 or so, then get a Ibanez S with Zero Resistance, it doesn't use knife edge, takes ball-end, holds tune better than most trems in that $ range, but have less pull-up range. If you can afford more that $1k, then knock yourself out since most of those have either Edge Pro (Ibanez) or Original Floyd Rose (others).
No man is your friend, no man is your enemy, but every man is your teacher.

When he asked for John Myung, John Myung said:"Who the hell is John Myung?"

Proud User of Ibanez, Korg, Rocktron, ENGL
Quote by woodsballplayer
do you often switch tunings? even going from standard to drop d is enough to throw everything out of tune.

Isnt that what the EVH D-Tuner is for?

But id say you might as well give it a shot, They arent as difficult as people make them out to be. you just wouldnt want to have to Re- String or Tune at a show.
Quote by CJRocker

+1

Also most bridges have there issue's at least with a floyd you can get a really low action if needed and its fun to mess around with at times... Also i like the way they feel when palm muting, more flat and comfortable..