werty22
Banned
1,095 IQ
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART?

I was just introduced to his music today. Me and a couple of people in my music theory class listened to Trout Mask Replica. I can say without doubt that it's the weirdest music I have ever heard. But I kind of like that about it. After consulting Wiki, I found that he has influenced The Sex Pistols, The Clash, Tom Waits, The Minutemen, and Gogol Bordello, among many others. He was good friends with Frank Zappa and worked closely with him. Matt Groening (creator of The Simpsons) claims that TMR is his favorite album of all time. So, what does the punk forum think of him?
Iluvpowerchords
Flau-BEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR
1,364 IQ
As much as I lurve Thomas Alan Waits, and Frank Zappa, I can honestly say I've never given Trout Mask a listen.

I'm not a huge fan of weird for weird's sake so I'm hesitant about it.

I like my experimentation with a side of pop sensibility.
original=punk
Banned
2,482 IQ
Love Mr Beefheart, well, what i've heart.

Wait...you listen to good music in music class?!?!
werty22
Banned
1,095 IQ
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
As much as I lurve Thomas Alan Waits, and Frank Zappa, I can honestly say I've never given Trout Mask a listen.

I'm not a huge fan of weird for weird's sake so I'm hesitant about it.

I like my experimentation with a side of pop sensibility.

Me too, normally. It's not something I would want to listen to that much, but it's interesting.
opivy21
Aloha! Suit up! Luau!
885 IQ
I only got into his stuff a few months ago, but I really enjoy it. I have Safe as Milk and Trout Mask Replica. Compared to TMR, Safe as Milk is tame, but without that context it's still quite strange and really good. It's similar to a lot of the other 60s pop and psychedelic music. TMR is certainly some of the stranger music I've ever heard, and some of the songs are almost unlistenable, but it has so many moments of brilliance. Also, the repeated use of the word "bulbous" - which might be the coolest word in the English language - doesn't hurt.
dannay
Banned
486 IQ
it is weird, weird ****.
"fast and boulbous! yes, the umbrella snake. also, a tin teardrop."
punkbri
punkbri
12 IQ
It is definetly interesting.I find myself wanting to hear it again every couple of months,so I guess that makes me like it.
HiImKindaNewAnd
Stupid n00b
234 IQ
*Unexplained bump*
My title should give my opinions on Captain Beefheart.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I recently had a dream that my dad died and my mum spent the life insurance payout on a new Indian dad, who told me to convert to Judaism, even though people usually change religion in September.
charliezard!
1,337 IQ
I've been into him since 6th grade. It's good music. I don't enjoy it as much as I used to though.
HiImKindaNewAnd
Stupid n00b
234 IQ
Quote by charliezard!
I've been into him since 6th grade. It's good music. I don't enjoy it as much as I used to though.

His music can be a tough listen after a few songs.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I recently had a dream that my dad died and my mum spent the life insurance payout on a new Indian dad, who told me to convert to Judaism, even though people usually change religion in September.
opivy21
Aloha! Suit up! Luau!
885 IQ
I retract what I said in my previous post about Safe as Milk being similar to other late sixties music. I think it just seems that way because of just how weird TMR is, but Safe as Milk is awesome. Everybody should check it out.

Neat video/song
HiImKindaNewAnd
Stupid n00b
234 IQ
Quote by opivy21
I retract what I said in my previous post about Safe as Milk being similar to other late sixties music. I think it just seems that way because of just how weird TMR is, but Safe as Milk is awesome. Everybody should check it out.

Neat video/song

On some days I prefer Safe as Milk, that's what I recommend for anyone getting into Captain Beefheart. Only 0.00003434% of people can enjoy TMR all the way through, it's only labeled as his best work because it's the longest and most extreme sounding.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
anarkee
oh the horror!
3,136 IQ
Oh my lordy, Captain Beefheart is quite awesome. Trout Mask Replica is one of my favourite all time albums. But then again I love the Residents, so go figure.
RizzoWashburn
Unregistered User
283 IQ
Quote by BrianApocalypse
You know what?

I've never listened.

Good story.

You should tell that at parties. People would be like "You met that lad Brian yet? He tells a great story about never listening to stuff." And the other member of the conversation will say "No I haven't, I'll go find him and engage in dialogue with him."

You'll make tons of new friends.
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
InstantAXonHero
713 IQ
Way too bizzare for my liking, I'm quite content with 'Neutral Milk Hotel'.
ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ
mbbmalcolm
24 IQ
I love Trout Mask Replica. And Captain Beefheart. But I love Frank Zappa more.
PenFighter19
82 IQ
Isnt that the guy/band (I dont know) that Robert Plant asked to be played when he was drunk at a bar and said RHCP 'sounds like a nursery rhyme?'
BrianApocalypse
Prozac Junkie
7,782 IQ
Quote by RizzoWashburn
Good story.

You should tell that at parties. People would be like "You met that lad Brian yet? He tells a great story about never listening to stuff." And the other member of the conversation will say "No I haven't, I'll go find him and engage in dialogue with him."

You'll make tons of new friends.

That was pretty good. So, what would you guys recommend checking out?
HiImKindaNewAnd
Stupid n00b
234 IQ
Quote by BrianApocalypse

That was pretty good. So, what would you guys recommend checking out?

Well, his entire discography is overshadowed by one album: Trout Mask Replica. Don't check that one out first, it's much too difficult to get into. I'd say start with Safe as Milk or Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller). Both are odd but still highly accessable...for Captain Beefheart, that is.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
HiImKindaNewAnd
Stupid n00b
234 IQ
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Many thanks

If you like those two then get TMR. It's a great album, but it takes five or seventeen listens before it sinks in. It also helps to cool down before you swim in the ice water, so to speak.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
BrianApocalypse
Prozac Junkie
7,782 IQ
Just listening to a few youtube videos:
- Ice Cream for Crow
- Electricity
- Sure 'nuff 'n yes i do
- Upon the my oh my
- Abba Zabba
BlaiseTheSlayer
Laser Cat
470 IQ
It's cool how they recorded each instrument on Trout Mask Replica in a different room of the house they were living in.
Crazier than a fish with titties.
Quote by Lord_Hondros
That was a great troll, and it made me laugh. Which then made me cause I was having a good time being scared shitless

Quote by behind_you
Grandfather clocks and jizz.
BrianApocalypse
Prozac Junkie
7,782 IQ
I almost bought Trout Mask Replica today, but decided against it as it was £10 and I have a limited disposable income (LDA) like everyone else!
Beakwithteeth
Wild and Reckless Hobo
671 IQ
Quote by HiImKindaNewAnd
If you like those two then get TMR. It's a great album, but it takes five or seventeen listens before it sinks in. It also helps to cool down before you swim in the ice water, so to speak.

I got into it on like 3rd listen. First listen I was intrigued but didn't "like" it but I found myself wanting to listen to it again and again. I learned to love it. I find I can get into really weird stuff easily though.

By the way can somebody send me Bill's Corpse off TMR? I got the album but it is missing that track.
prplhazed
40 IQ
I've started trout mask like 3 times but havent made it all the way through
Maybe someday I'll make it
HiImKindaNewAnd
Stupid n00b
234 IQ
Does anybody know why Lick My Decals Off, Baby hasn't been rereleased? I hear it's great.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse