I recently just found out that my step father owns some land that is full of White Ash trees. They are not Northern White Ash(not sure if there is a difference, thats part of my question), we live in the south.

Is there a difference in the type according to region?

Is it a good tone wood?

What types(if it is usable as a tone wood) of guitars are known for using this type of wood?

I guess i would just like to know some basic info on this type of wood. I am interested in building a guitar(elec.) one day and would just like to know if this wood is of decent standards.

P.S., i do have the ability and tools to cut the wood into usable sizes.

Thanks for reading guys.
epic7734
Yes region makes a difference to the type of wood,

many guitars are made of ash particulaly swamp ash, I have never heard of white ash specifically though,

as long as it is properly dried it should be good to go.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
I think white ash as a slithly brighter sound than swamp ash
Quote by Sguit
I think white ash as a slithly brighter sound than swamp ash

I believe you are right. I was able to find info on Wiki about northern White Ash and that it has been used by Fender in some of their Tele's. I was just hoping that the difference in regions would be an issue.

EDIT:For the curing of the wood, can it be kiln dried? Or does it need to be dried over time?
epic7734
Last edited by epic7734 at Mar 6, 2008,
^ yeah im sure it can be kin dried, i've bought a body and 2 neck blanks and they both had . kiln dried stamped on them.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
As long as its kiln dried properly yes thats fine, and be sure to leave it in your house for at least a week to adjust to your climate (if you live right next to where it was cut and dried this prob isnt an issue, but from some where like cut in canada and used in US would be)

Also region is not an issue, it mearly gives the wood a certain characteristic.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man