Top 10 songs chosen to orbit Earth
Article from: Agence France-Presse

* Font size: Decrease Increase
* Email article: Email
* Print article: Print

From correspondents in Paris

March 06, 2008 01:10pm

ASTRONAUTS on the International Space Station (ISS) are to get an unusual treat - an MP3 player loaded with a playlist of songs specially chosen for people in orbit.
The top ten was selected by a 14-year-old Norwegian girl, Therese Miljeteig, who won a competition staged by the European Space Agency (ESA).

Her prize is to watch the launch this weekend of ESA's space freighter, the Automated Transfer Vehicle (ATV), at the Kourou space base, French Guiana.

After launch, the cargo ship will dock automatically in low Earth orbit with the ISS, bringing food, water and other essentials to the ISS crew, as well as clothing and other personal items.

This was the winning selection, which beat out 1000 rivals from 10 countries:

- Here Comes The Sun - Beatles

- Come Fly With Me - Frank Sinatra

- Rocket Man - Elton John

- Up Where We Belong - Joe Cocker and Jennifer Warnes

- Imagine - John Lennon

- Flashdance - What A Feeling - Irene Cara

- Walk of Life - Dire Straits

- Fly - Celine Dion

- Rockin' All Over The World - Status Quo

- I Believe I Can Fly - R Kelly

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23328864-5001028,00.html

When I opened the article I hoped to find some cheap music.
I was surprised when I found out that the girl picked Frank Sinatra, The Beatles, John Lennon, Dire Straits, Irene Cara...
Great list IMO.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by urik
I was surprised when I found out that the girl picked Frank Sinatra, The Beatles, John Lennon, Dire Straits, Irene Cara...

Those are countered by Celine Dion.

-SD
Wait, the astronauts can afford to recharge the battery, but can't afford to request some songs?

and couldn't we file transfer them the songs or something? If we have communications, couldnt we just stream it to them? And if you're sending an MP3 player, why only 14 songs? I'm confused.
Good artists but the choices? Meh... kinda plain.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
They're not exactly unobvious choices for this situation.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Being stuck in a spacecraft listening to R.Kelly, and Celine Dion this is why they make the big buck folks! I sure in hell wouldn't.
She should have included Space Oddity by David Bowie. That would have been pretty funny.
Quote by Kensai
Forget about her, she seems complicated. Who wants a girl who answers in riddles? I'm not the fucking sfinx.

Quote by Rambo-Conny
Woah, woah. Back the hell up.

Polo shirt?

Sunglasses?

Of course he got all the girls, he's Rick Astley.