this might seem a little silly but i've had my acoutic for about 2 years now and i was just wondering if its common or important to take it to a "guitar repairman" or whatever u wanna call it. see if everything on it is solid and how much would this cost
If you just want a tech to look it over, it may not cost you anything. If it needs work, a setup runs around $50, depending on where you go. It's a good idea to get a setup at least every year.
+1

Or learn to do it yourself. It's not difficult if you know what you're doing. In principle, guitars ought to be setup twice a year since winter/summer temparatures and humidity differences alter the way a guitar plays and feels significantly.
Some folks go straight from the music store to their favorite Luthier with every guitar they purchase.

Almost everything you buy will be in a factory generic setup or "music store" setup as my Luthier would say, and needs to have a final set of adjustments done to make it right.

This can range from a free estimate, to a $20.00 simple tune up to a $150.00 playability package and beyond.

If you're planning to be a guitar player, for fun or profit, you need to develop a relationship with a good Luthier. Taking a guitar you are generally "happy" with in for an evaluation and discussion is one of the better ways I know of to not only form that important acquaintance, but to learn a great deal more about what you own and what is possible and plausible with the instrument.
I agree with Dave on the twice a year deal the change is significant I went from nicely set to fret buzz this last fall went in had it setup everything is fine now. The luthier said he would see me in the spring. I said, "What?" He said, "it will change back in the spring due weather change."

Walt: speaking of playability setups, the funny thing is I went in to have my Martin setup to where the action is pretty much the same down the fret board or as close to that as possible. Anyway, the Martin authorized luthier stated he could not set it up the way I wanted due to the factory specifications. He said that my guitar was already setup to those specs since the first setup he done for me. I asked what about my specifications he said if he lowered the action any more he could lose his authorization and the guitar would not be covered under the warranty. I mean I've come acustomed to the setup but I thought I would have a little more freedom with the guitar I guess.
Quote by seper611
this might seem a little silly but i've had my acoutic for about 2 years now and i was just wondering if its common or important to take it to a "guitar repairman" or whatever u wanna call it. see if everything on it is solid and how much would this cost

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Acoustic guitars do need taken to a luthier for fretwork and other adjustments from time time to time, but if your guitar is still playing just fine right now then there is no need to take it to the shop right now.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by tyenser
I agree with Dave on the twice a year deal the change is significant I went from nicely set to fret buzz this last fall went in had it setup everything is fine now. The luthier said he would see me in the spring. I said, "What?" He said, "it will change back in the spring due weather change."

Walt: speaking of playability setups, the funny thing is I went in to have my Martin setup to where the action is pretty much the same down the fret board or as close to that as possible. Anyway, the Martin authorized luthier stated he could not set it up the way I wanted due to the factory specifications. He said that my guitar was already setup to those specs since the first setup he done for me. I asked what about my specifications he said if he lowered the action any more he could lose his authorization and the guitar would not be covered under the warranty. I mean I've come acustomed to the setup but I thought I would have a little more freedom with the guitar I guess.

I deal with a Luthier that knows who the Customer is.
my guitar center has tech's that are always there but i dont know how there turnaround is or the quiality of there work but chances are there busy and at least know what there doing. i would recomend watching them work for a while see how they treat an insturment while they are servicing it from a distance and then aproach and inquire as to having work done if you feel there worthy. Long story short yes you can deffinitly get your guitar setup and they will restring and usually clean/polish your guitar and install new strings while they are at it.