Not too long ago I bought a shure sm57 mic and a fast track pro interface. I like them both a lot. However, I've found when if I mic my amp while using distortion, the sound is really terrible. I've messed with the EQ, moved the mic around, but it doesn't help much. I recorded a riff I just wrote and put it on my profile so you could hear the tone. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can make it sound better?
You may not need as much volume or distortion as you'd expect...try reducing the volume, first the gain on the microphone preamp then the amp itself.
I don't actually have a pre amp for the mic. My interface has a built in pre amp.
It sounds... chunky to me. I know the sm57 will give it a bit of a crunchier sound, but that's more than just mic coloring. What I'd recommend is to decrease the gain on your preamp (not the interface), lower the mid just a tad and boost the highs a bit. Give that a shot and put up another clip for us.
Quote by les_paul_01
In Soviet Russia, song copyrights you!
Besides the interface and mic what's your other gear? Amp software etc? On the FT Pro you should see little LED lights above the gain knob (next to the input your plugged into). One of those is the clip indicator, if your clipping you need to back off it a little bit. Also experiment with the volume of your amp and mic position. You don't have to have ear splitting levels to record via mic. You'll just drown the mic and get unwanted distortion.
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Quote by Death-Speak
Besides the interface and mic what's your other gear? Amp software etc? On the FT Pro you should see little LED lights above the gain knob (next to the input your plugged into). One of those is the clip indicator, if your clipping you need to back off it a little bit. Also experiment with the volume of your amp and mic position. You don't have to have ear splitting levels to record via mic. You'll just drown the mic and get unwanted distortion.

yeah, I forgot to mention I"m playing through a peavey classic 30. I'm using Reaper right now for software. Yeah, I know about that. However, it barely even lights up. I had to turn the gain up on my interface in addition to turning my volume up to 3 or 4 to get it that loud. That doesn't sound like much, but on the classic 30 3 is quite loud. As I said in my first post, I did mess with the mic placement.
What about the Inst/Line toggle? Obviously if you have an intrument plugged it need to be on intrument, but for the mic it'll need to set to line. Once you have that set adjust the gain on the FT Pro so your meter almost or just hits red at the loudest part of the riff.

I'm not familiar with Reaper but on the track your recording does it have a meter?
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Last edited by Death-Speak at Mar 7, 2008,
Wow, i had completely forgotten about the inst/line button. Heh, thanks. I'll have to try it again when I get a chance..