What are the main differences in these two. I know the 5150 isnt made anymore, but is there any other significant difference in sound?
I assume they just changed the name after heir EVH endorsement was over. Might be a few trivial differences in components but I can't imagine anyone could tell the difference.
the 5150 sounds better aparently, i've never tried them out but i want a 5150
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
Quote by ChaoticVengence
the 5150 sounds better aparently, i've never tried them out but i want a 5150

That's a bit weird considering they are the same thing.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

same thing, diff. name.
Shecter Jolly Roger w/EMGs 81/85
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor
Boss BR600 Recorder
Quote by Vanquish
That's a bit weird considering they are the same thing.

I'm pretty sure the older ones use different transformers and other componants compared to the new ones. The both sound relatively the same though.

It's pretty much like that with all amps. An older Marshall Mark II will probably sound better than a 1987x Reissue.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
except they aren't reissues....they're the same amp with a different name due to trademark issues with Eddie Van Halen.
Gibson Special Faded SG with EMG 81 in the bridge
Peavey 6505
Hughes and Kettner 4x12
Maxon OD 808
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
Boss Tu-2 Chromatic tuner
Boss Ph-3 Phase Shifter
Quote by thoreau
except they aren't reissues....they're the same amp with a different name due to trademark issues with Eddie Van Halen.

I know they aren't but it's been almost 2 decades you know? They aren't going to be using the same parts in the 6505 amps.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
A lot of people say the original 5150 sounds better than the 6505, however, the only reason behind this is that the original "block letter" amps came with better tubes stock than the later runs. Other than that they're the same.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Internally its the same parts. Eddie is doing his own thing now so the 5150 would be trademark infringement. So they changed the name. The 5150 still has that aura around it so it "sounds" better. And its a bit hard to judge 2 amps you have never actually heard as being better or worse.