Which of these basses is the best buy? I'm looking for a mastodon sound (from Leviathan).

Fender Prophecy II
Fender American Standard Jazz
Ibanez SRX700
Godlyke Deity 4-string bass
Yamaha RBX Series Bass
Fender American Standard Jazz. I love those things.
I like Fall Out Boy.
That is all.
Those are very different basses you've listed, with rather different price ranges. And I think the Prophecy is discontinued.

Try out what you can find, but don't limit yourself to those basses.

And you won't get a Leviathan sound without effects and amps being taken into consideration.
If it was me I'd take the Fender American Standard Jazz Bass
"If I was any cooler I'd be froze">>>Me

Epiphone Les Paul Custom,
Yamaha: FG-405
Yamaha: FX370C TBS
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz & Fretless Jazz
Vox AD30VT
Traynor DynaBass 200T
Hohner Button Accordian
Digitech RP350
As deliriumbassist said, his sound is a lot more due to his effects and his amps than his basses. Get whatever feels comfortable and sounds good clean.
Quote by smb
As deliriumbassist said, his sound is a lot more due to his effects and his amps than his basses. Get whatever feels comfortable and sounds good clean.

agreed, I didn't even read the part about Mastodon. I was just going by which bass I like.
"If I was any cooler I'd be froze">>>Me

Epiphone Les Paul Custom,
Yamaha: FG-405
Yamaha: FX370C TBS
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz & Fretless Jazz
Vox AD30VT
Traynor DynaBass 200T
Hohner Button Accordian
Digitech RP350
I never get the Leviathan love...even Blood Mountain is better IMO

I'd like to get Troy's tone on Remission though - Mother Puncher or Behemoth sound would be awesomeness.
May I ask where you have access to a Fender Prophecy II?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by godsmackdone
Which of these basses is the best buy? I'm looking for a mastodon sound (from Leviathan).

Fender Prophecy II
Fender American Standard Jazz
Ibanez SRX700
Godlyke Deity 4-string bass
Yamaha RBX Series Bass

The Fender Prophecy II is a great bass, and I've seen one go for $500 used. Nice and punchy, solid feeling instrument. Not bad. However, it's damn hard to find one because it's discontinued.

Seeing as how that's Troy's most used bass for touring, I'd probably go for that... if you can find one.

I don't know what bass he used in studio for Leviathan, but I know he used the Godlyke for Blood Mountain. Godlykes are pretty damn expensive, and I'm going to assume that you don't have that great of a rig and therefore should get a cheaper bass and use the other money to upgrade your amp setup.
Quote by thefitz
May I ask where you have access to a Fender Prophecy II?

this is weird! i use a Fender Prophecy I as a back-up at church. not sure what year, but it's not bad. it's active, with a P/J pup config. transparent red with gold h-ware. and except for the American flag sticker on it, it's in really nice shape. so, to the TS,
i can't tell you which bass is right for you, but i can tell you, i would not trade my Fender (standard like) Hwy 1 Jazz, for it. but it would be my second choice.

Edit: sorry, it's not a Prophecy II, about the same but doesn't have the "Wick" looking horns. they're more standard shaped, but with rounded edges. more Ibanez'ish.
Last edited by 83lespaulstudio at Mar 7, 2008,
Quote by MV4824
I'd say go for the jazz bass, considering you haven't said what style of music you wish to play - jazz basses are universal.

If he wants a Mastodon sound, it kinda implies he's going to be playing weird slightly jazz influenced slightly prog metal.
Quote by Charlatan_001
The Fender Prophecy II is a great bass, and I've seen one go for $500 used. Nice and punchy, solid feeling instrument. Not bad. However, it's damn hard to find one because it's discontinued.

Seeing as how that's Troy's most used bass for touring, I'd probably go for that... if you can find one.

I don't know what bass he used in studio for Leviathan, but I know he used the Godlyke for Blood Mountain. Godlykes are pretty damn expensive, and I'm going to assume that you don't have that great of a rig and therefore should get a cheaper bass and use the other money to upgrade your amp setup.

Truth is, i got a schecter stilletto custom 5 string...i really like it, but i'm kinda just learning bass and i don't really need the 5th string right now...i have a beringer ultrabass 300 watt amp, so...i guess my question now is to upgrade to which amp for under 1000? And also what's the basic settings for the tone that Troy uses?
Last edited by godsmackdone at Mar 7, 2008,
Quote by Deliriumbassist
If he wants a Mastodon sound, it kinda implies he's going to be playing weird slightly jazz influenced slightly prog metal.

I'm looking for an all around metal sound

fav bands = A7X, Tool, NIN, LoG, AILD