Page 1 of 2
Firebread
UG's Jimi Hendrix Guru
1,632 IQ
Is anyone else a big fan of this guy? I personally think he is one of the greatest guitarists I have ever heard. I just stumbled on him maybe two weeks ago and have been enjoying his music thoroughly since.
Feed your mind.
Who66
From Blown Speakers
1,973 IQ
he's underrated as hell. excellent player. tasty* slide work.
Carswell98
*heavy sigh*
393 IQ
He is one of my favorite musicians ever, the man was a great performer and a better guitarist.

I have 4 of his albums but Irish Tour is his masterpiece.
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
spanishbattery
21 IQ
Try the Montreaux Jazz festival DVD, awesome. It covers the three eras that he played there, from raw bluesman to seasoned pro (put on a bit of weight then mind)
Carswell98
*heavy sigh*
393 IQ
Quote by spanishbattery
Try the Montreaux Jazz festival DVD, awesome. It covers the three eras that he played there, from raw bluesman to seasoned pro (put on a bit of weight then mind)

oh yeah, I'll look into it

i have a sort of career spanning sample, and I like both, his last album Wheels on Wheels, is a folk blues masterpiece, I'm in love with it
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

ze monsta
I wonder why I stay
419 IQ
My dad saw him several times. But then again my dad has also seen Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, Howlin' Wolf, Big Bill Broonzy and loadsa other awesome blues players. I'm so jealous of him....
imgooley
PLAY IT ****ING LOUD
4,866 IQ
Quote by ze monsta
My dad saw him several times. But then again my dad has also seen Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, Howlin' Wolf, Big Bill Broonzy and loadsa other awesome blues players. I'm so jealous of him....

What I wouldn't give to be your daddy........
TheDev01dOne
Hard Time Killin' Floor
1,081 IQ
Yeah Rory Gallagher was quite awesome, true his Live at Montreux DVD is ****ing amazing, that was the first thing I ever got of his and it rules. I have loads of bootleg shows of his from a guy on Soulseek who has probably hundreds of them.. When he was on it, he was amazing.. but when he was sucking he really did suck.

Most older people I know from that generation don't really like him. My GF's dad is a good guitar player and seen all these guys live said he was just crazy self-destructive and apparently really short tempered..

No denying he could play that guitar when he wanted to though, Cradle Rock or OOTWP are probably my favourite songs of his.
meh!
Doin' DAT FUNKY DANCE
2,037 IQ
Rory gallagher was excellent, really liked him.

However, his band was just...boring and that's a shame, cause that really turns me off listening to him sometimes (though I do anyway).
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
TheDev01dOne
Hard Time Killin' Floor
1,081 IQ
I gotta disagree there, his bass player is one of my favourite bass players ever. Fancy and interesting but still rock solid when he had to be. He didn't run around crazy or anything but he did his part ectremely well.

His drummer was probably average though and his organ player was boring I'll admit. But still overall I think they were pretty good.
Firebread
UG's Jimi Hendrix Guru
1,632 IQ
Quote by TheDev01dOne
I gotta disagree there, his bass player is one of my favourite bass players ever. Fancy and interesting but still rock solid when he had to be. He didn't run around crazy or anything but he did his part ectremely well.

His drummer was probably average though and his organ player was boring I'll admit. But still overall I think they were pretty good.

If you didn't say that about the bass player I was gonna. I think that his bass player is amazing. His drummer isn't stand out, but he does his job.
Feed your mind.
Metallica-EX50
Registered Thrasher
182 IQ
he's underrated as hell. excellent player. tasty* slide work.

ditto

id say he could match jimi hendrix
meh!
Doin' DAT FUNKY DANCE
2,037 IQ
I don't hear it in the bass player, he doesn't do anything for me.
Firebread
UG's Jimi Hendrix Guru
1,632 IQ
Quote by meh!
I don't hear it in the bass player, he doesn't do anything for me.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LSzsDWTc4mY

Check that out, there's a bass solo. I think he's pretty good, he certainly has a good time up there.
Feed your mind.
Firebread
UG's Jimi Hendrix Guru
1,632 IQ
Quote by gopherthegreat
hes a great guitarist, but his music never hooked me

I think he has a lot of great hooks in his music. And damn I reply fast.
Feed your mind.
gopherthegreat
592 IQ
Quote by Firebread
I think he has a lot of great hooks in his music. And damn I reply fast.

i noticed that

Jack my swag
Firebread
UG's Jimi Hendrix Guru
1,632 IQ
Quote by gopherthegreat
i noticed that

Merely quoted for more irony.
Feed your mind.
Carswell98
*heavy sigh*
393 IQ
Quote by Firebread

Check that out, there's a bass solo. I think he's pretty good, he certainly has a good time up there.

oh my ****ing god, I reallllly need that DVD

edit

AAHHHHHHH

I can't stop watching it

must..... buy.... Octave..... pedal now
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Last edited by Carswell98 at Mar 8, 2008,
Firebread
UG's Jimi Hendrix Guru
1,632 IQ
Quote by Carswell98
oh my ****ing god, I reallllly need that DVD

edit

AAHHHHHHH

I can't stop watching it

must..... buy.... Octave..... pedal now

Ya that's one of my favorite performances by him. Check these out to

Cradle Rock- http://youtube.com/watch?v=-k4iocWURPk
To Much Alcohol (Slide acoustic blues)- http://youtube.com/watch?v=z1zsRRt1FWE
Bullfrog Blues- http://youtube.com/watch?v=33Jaodra7AY
Feed your mind.
meh!
Doin' DAT FUNKY DANCE
2,037 IQ
Quote by Firebread

meh, really, nothing special to me. Sorry
Firebread
UG's Jimi Hendrix Guru
1,632 IQ
Quote by meh!
meh, really, nothing special to me. Sorry

Oh well, guess your not gonna be persuaded. No accounting for taste I suppose. =P
Feed your mind.
Carswell98
*heavy sigh*
393 IQ
Quote by Firebread
Ya that's one of my favorite performances by him. Check these out to

Cradle Rock- http://youtube.com/watch?v=-k4iocWURPk
To Much Alcohol (Slide acoustic blues)- http://youtube.com/watch?v=z1zsRRt1FWE
Bullfrog Blues- http://youtube.com/watch?v=33Jaodra7AY

Rory was all about live, for me his studio stuff was always just kinda meh

but his live stuff is brilliant, that is why Irish Tour is one of my favorite albums ever
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Firebread
UG's Jimi Hendrix Guru
1,632 IQ
Quote by Carswell98
Rory was all about live, for me his studio stuff was always just kinda meh

but his live stuff is brilliant, that is why Irish Tour is one of my favorite albums ever

Ya his live stuff is when it really comes out.
Feed your mind.
meh!
Doin' DAT FUNKY DANCE
2,037 IQ
There's an excellent little set of I think it's four live albums that you can get. He really just goes all out when he plays.
johnny_tapia
Definitely Maybe..
1,944 IQ
Quote by meh!
There's an excellent little set of I think it's four live albums that you can get. He really just goes all out when he plays.

Linky?

Also his song "Hands Off" is brilliant
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
SomeEvilDude
Government Conspiracy
627 IQ
Quote by meh!

Is that the 'Meeting With The G-Men' set? They're all bootlegs that were officially released.

I've only got one of them, called 'Meeting With The G-Man', it's class; really good cover of Dylan's 'Don't Think Twice It's Alright' on it, and, more importantly, my favourite Gallagher song, 'Mean Disposition'; not heard another version of it and I'm not sure if he wrote, but he rips it upj so well on the 'Meeting With The G-Man' album I've got.

Seriously underrated guitar player, absolutely brilliant talent.

EDIT: Links: Let's Go To Work: Live In Europe, Irish Tour, another one I'm not sure about, and the bootleg album I've got on it's own.

The G-Men set: Jesus Christ, look at the price of that one: £169.
Last edited by SomeEvilDude at Mar 9, 2008,
johnny_tapia
Definitely Maybe..
1,944 IQ
Quote by SomeEvilDude

I've only got one of them, called 'Meeting With The G-Man', it's class; really good cover of Dylan's 'Don't Think Twice It's Alright' on it, and, more importantly, my favourite Gallagher song, 'Mean Disposition'; not heard another version of it and I'm not sure if he wrote, but he rips it upj so well on the 'Meeting With The G-Man' album I've got.

That's the cd that I have. It's really good
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
meh!
Doin' DAT FUNKY DANCE
2,037 IQ
Quote by SomeEvilDude
Is that the 'Meeting With The G-Men' set? They're all bootlegs that were officially released.

Seriously underrated guitar player, absolutely brilliant talent.

EDIT: Links: Let's Go To Work: Live In Europe, Irish Tour, another one I'm not sure about, and the bootleg album I've got on it's own.

The G-Men set: Jesus Christ, look at the price of that one: £169.

Aye, that's the one. It's a quality set.
Phill-Rock
UG's Scheming Ruffian
1,575 IQ
I love his more rock orientated songs e.g. Bad Penny, Shadow Play etc.

He was a brilliant guitarist, but I'm not overly fond of a lot of the songs he released. Though he is one of my favourite guitarists based on the smaller volume of masterworks.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
dgme92
A pretty butterfly.
685 IQ
Rory Gallagher is ridiculously good. A great guitar player, and a simply AMAZING songwriter, both musically and lyrically. The saddest loss music has ever suffered, full stop.
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
Dalron
Discovering the Blues
65 IQ
Quote by ze monsta

I'm jealous of him too!!

Just watched my first Rory Gallagher video on YouTube and liked it so much I watched it again and again and again ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CZNuTeq9hs
strawforest007
1,695 IQ
He's basically a superb musician. A very sad loss to the world. Youtube has brought up all kinds of gems of live performances and I'm thankful for that!
strawforest007
1,695 IQ
Sorry if I'm bringing up a dead thread here (not intentional). I've only just fully read through this thread. It's great to hear that the Wheels album is liked as it didn't receive great reviews from critics or fans. I'm personally not a fond of it, but it's a crucial part of the collection. Lonesome Highway (and the Refraining part) is a favouite (someone here on UG has done a very good cover of it);

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/slashrules!!!/music/play275884

Some of you say that Gerry McAvoy's bass isn't great which,in fairness he isn't the greatest bassist, but, he is solid and that was the point of the Rory Gallagher Band I feel, as with the rest of the band,so that Rory was in the limelights playing all the fancy stuff. As for boring, I can see your point if you've listened to a lot of bootlegs from the same era (particularly the organ/piano [Lou Martin] and Rod De'Ath [brilliant name!] era) where the shows tended to get samey. The short-lived 71-72 trio line-up with the late Wilgar Campbell on drums is superb, as are his later and darker years (again back to just a trio passing through several drummers) from the late seventies until his sad passing.

If anyone wants advice on any Rory material I'll gladly help. I don't claim to be an expert, but I'm simply obsessed. Finally, not to brag, but I've got that 3CD officially released bootleg set.
MOOSE_CCR99
MOOSE
1,127 IQ
Rorys one of the greatest players ever. Hes fiercly underated, but hes up there with the best of em. I dunno about you guys but thats a pretty tight band and Gerry McAvoys amazing (and the most fun bassist to watch EVER). Ive seen some interviews of him and hes so calm and polite even though he gets asked the worst questions ever he comes off like a really smart guy. Check out the Rory Gallagher live at the rockpalast DVD set, it shows a few of his preformances at the festival over the years along with those interviews I was talking about. In the 1990 show he jams with jack bruce on some tunes including politition. I highly recomend that DVD and any other live rory you can get your hands on (his studio stuffs amazing too but nothing outshines his live preformances).
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Phill-Rock
UG's Scheming Ruffian
1,575 IQ
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zW0yxUAVzwI&feature=related

Shadowplay Probably my favourite Rory song. Bad Penny is up there in the same league and style though.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
urik
UG Freak
4,011 IQ
Oooh Tatoo'd Lady and A Million Miles Away. Could someone top that kind of awesome?
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Carswell98
*heavy sigh*
393 IQ
^

I wonder who > both of those songs
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

strawforest007
1,695 IQ
Depends on the version of the song. I Wonder Who - the Belfast '84 version. A Million Miles Away - just compare the studio and irish tour. He did occasionally play it as a three-piece after dismissing Lou Martin's keys from the band. Bad Penny - Montreux '85. It's difficult and futile trying to pick favourite Gallagher songs, particularly from live peformances due to the variety and vast amount of them over the years. Ever so many gems though. The acoustic slide version of Secret Agent on 'Me & My Guitar' with his National is sublime. OGWT versions of songs go without saying as do the Rockpalast performances. Personally I've always enjoyed most of his songs. Even his work with Taste isn't mentioned nearly enough. Same Old Story, Morning Sun, Sugar Mama. I could go on all day. I'm obsessed.