Page 1 of 2
No reason to just post something like "Drop-D sucks"

I do for a couple of reasons. First, it makes power chords easier. Yell at me all you want-I don't really care. I can play much faster power chords and do a lot more with them. That's mostly it on an electric, though drop-D solos can sound cool.

Acoustically, I love the deep D sound, and both of my guitars are usually in drop-D. It makes playing the G chord a pain, but its worth it for the sound.
I use drop d to play Billy Talent songs
"I was influenced to play the guitar after I saw the guy on Power Rangers do it. I figured it would be easy, since a guitar is basically a big kazoo."

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Blues Deville(For now... FOR SALE )
whole lotta rosie
Quote by DiMeTiMe
+3.141592

Quote by imgooley
It was such a good suggestion you gave him pi?

yeah, he gave me pi.
You gotta slide one finger up to the fifth fret to get your G root, while either muting or reaching all the way over and hitting the second fret on the fifth string.
Quote by Mekchrious
drop-D solos can sound cool.

How do they sound any different from regular ones?
No you don't you can just play the 6th strings open

Being in the theory forum most people here don't accept that as a "G chord", they'd either label it as a D/G or more properly the first inversion of G.
^Exactly, and inversion/inverted chords only sound right in certain places.

^^^-There is one country solo on a song I like that uses Drop-D and it rocks.
Quote by capiCrimm
Being in the theory forum most people here don't accept that as a "G chord", they'd either label it as a D/G or more properly the first inversion of G.

I think it would be G/D. And would not the first inversion of G be B D G, making the chord in question just another voicing of G (like G/D...)?
Quote by Tsunoyukami
I play in drop D whenever a song is meant to be played with the string dropped down to D, or whenever I feel like fooling around in drop D...

Pretty much.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by FLUX_
How do they sound any different from regular ones?

He may just mean that bands that use drop d tuning have cool solos lol?
Quote by juan Andrés

Sorry awful Anglish.
I personally don't like dropped tunings. If I tune down, I just go one step down or one and a half steps down.

However, the band that I play guitar for uses the tuning of drop c (cgcfad). I really don't mind it, and it makes it easier to harmonize riffs on the lower strings.
The gods you worship are Steel
At the altar of Rock N Roll you kneel
A slave who forever Rocks
Is chained in the Devil's locks
AND SLAIN BY THE BLOODY AXE I WHAIL!
I like the voicing for an open D-minor chord, and dropping to D gives me the ability to have a low bass note in there.

Other than that, I hate dropping from standard to D-standard, so I'll just drop the E string really quickly and transpose everything else.
i play the occasional FOB song which needs drop d, and some of my fav's use drop d (like silverchair). also, i just use drop d when i dont want to go all the way down to drop c or b because i always end up slightly out when i tune down without a tuner or somethin
usually when I drop my low E string to D, I drop the high E string, also.

but as far as regular ol' drop D? I never use it.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Quote by CowboyUp
I like the voicing for an open D-minor chord, and dropping to D gives me the ability to have a low bass note in there.

Other than that, I hate dropping from standard to D-standard, so I'll just drop the E string really quickly and transpose everything else.

I hate that "ITS IN C STANDARD" stuff. I play it all in E standard, it's just a different key. Sure, you can't play along with the song, but meh. Covering is for n00bs and bands, not private practice. I just take ideas.

I fixed my FR the other day, so I won't be going Drop D anymore, but I really liked it for Opeth's "The Grand Conjuration". I liked that octave chord styling and it just sounded pure ƒuckin' evil!
would covering Dream Theater be noobish? I don't think so.

Just because a song is in C standard doesn't mean iot's all like ZOMG lets drop our bands tuning to C standard so we can follow our FAVORIT BAND OMG!!
Quote by juan Andrés

Sorry awful Anglish.
To play "The End" by The Doors, which usually reminds me of how much I like Krieger's slide work, so I'll pick up my slide, and it eventually culminates in me re-tuning to Open G.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
I like using drop D to get a nice pedal tone that really sticks out. I am in love with LoG and almost all of their songs are in drop D. Drop D imitates drop C really well too for when I like to play KSE.

Drop D is a nice change.
Peavey VK112
Fish&Chips EQ
Ibanez TS9DX
Jackson Warrior JS30 upgraded EMG 81/85
Epiphone Silverburst 1966 Reissue G-400
Washburn D12N

Playing since 03-11-07
........Uber Noob Skillz
i like drop d mainly because it give you a lil bit of a deeper tone, incase you want to play metal of hard rock. I use an Eddie Van halen D-tuna with my floyd rose so i switch from standard to drop D alot.
Quote by Avedas
I fixed my FR the other day, so I won't be going Drop D anymore, but I really liked it for Opeth's "The Grand Conjuration". I liked that octave chord styling and it just sounded pure ƒuckin' evil!

That song is the only reason I ever tune to drop D lol.
How does playing something in Drop D make it suck? who cares what tuning your in, as long as your making good music it shouldnt matter. It also gives you an octave with the 4th string D which leaves your fretting hand free to play melodies all over the neck, this is really popular in fingerstyle guitar. Who cares if your playing one finger power chords if it sounds good, you can abuse power chords in standard tuning too.
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
I use drop D to play various covers but I also just recently used it to come up with a riff that I might try to expand into a song later. It just sounded cooler in D than it did in standard.
Quote by Avedas
I hate that "ITS IN C STANDARD" stuff. I play it all in E standard, it's just a different key. Sure, you can't play along with the song, but meh. Covering is for n00bs and bands, not private practice. I just take ideas.

Opeth's Ghost Reveries is in DADFAD o r for Isolation years DADFAE

I play Dop-D very rarely, it's fun but usually it's boring...I like using two ingers for powerchords rather than 1 finger.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Let's of you you guys can follow:

I play in drop D, because my band plays in drop D, because we sometimes use piano pieces, which I write, way to often in D, because that comes naturally.
when i'm doing covers that use drop d....and if i need that extra 'kick'
Quote by NGD1313
Well I don't know about solos but how about that Smoke on the Water riff. It's like...impossible.

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

I'm Jake. I'm a musician, philosopher, and exhibitionist.
Drop D is good for me because I like to do 4 string powerchord, which are a bugger to move about quickly if played in standard.

Good for DJENT.
To play "The End" by The Doors

Seconded.
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/
It's all about sound. D5 in D standard will never sound like open 3 lowest strings in Drop D. Ever wondering why, since first measures, you can recognize that song is in dropped tuning?
You said that power chords are easier. Yes. But most important is that, instead single notes, you can do same things on three strings, using the same fingering. That the reason why dropped tunings are such a good weapon, when you're the only guitarist in a band.
"That was it, a nick. Now happily paid for. [...] It was decided that it was so far away in time and influence that...well, you only get caught when you're successful. That's the game". Robert Plant
I use drop D in the songs i write because i find it easier and it gives me more time to concentrate on singing.

'67 Gibson SG Standard
MXR Phase 90 | Ibanez Tubescreamer TS9 | Vox V847A Wah-Wah
'65 Fender Bassman
I use it for easier power chords and power chord modifications like:

D|-3---3-|
A|-5---1-|
D|-3---0-|

Those aren't easy in standard. You can't even play the 2nd one.
Signature temporarily empty
Quote by Lord Of Donkeys
I use it for easier power chords and power chord modifications like:

D|-3---3-|
A|-5---1-|
D|-3---0-|

Those aren't easy in standard. You can't even play the 2nd one.

dude are you high?

that second one in D standard DGCFAD is simply

C-5
G-3
D-0
I like Drop tunings (I use D,C, and B,) because there are many more chord formations that open up with the barred power chord, look at My Curse by KSE, for example.
John Myung, the bass god with nimble, asian basketweaving fingers! \.../

Quote by Sonis3
+∞

Quote by HelloHalo
Page 1 of 2