Well I've been playing for over a year and it's finally about time I get a pedal board. What are some essential pedals I need to get? I'm not asking for brand names, just specific effects. Brand names reccomendations are more tthan welcome but please explain the type of effect(s) it gives. Thanks!
Modulation effects: Chorus, Flange, Wah, Phase, Delay.
Distortion/Fuzz.
Overdrive.
Volume pedal.

That's all I can think of right now.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Depends on what kinda music you will be playing.....also if you already have built-in effects in your amp, such as reverb or distortion, then you won't need a pedal unless you think you need something better
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Distortion/Fuzz.
Overdrive.
Volume pedal.

i don't know if those are essential. TS, what kind of music do you play/what kind of gear do you have now?
i personally recommend just like a digitech rp 250. now i know most of the effects arent as good as the real thing, but lets face it, were not pro muscians our distortion doesnt need to be perfect. however i will say the wah on it is ridiculously bad beyond belief.
"Tuning... who the f*** needs tuning?!"
A distortion, the intensity depends on what you want to play. A reverb is usually good to have, unless you have it on your amp. A delay is excellent to have, and it can really help your sound. Personally, I would say a chorus, because it is a really useful effect, and really sounds great. Also, an octave shifter is really nice to have.

If you are looking for some crazier sounds, go with a Wah, Phaser, Flanger, or a Tremolo.
My Old Progressive Metal Band:
Acrasia
For fans of Between The Buried and Me, Dream Theater, Cynic.

My New Progressive Rock/Djent Band:
Wings Denied
For fans of Deftones, Tesseract, Periphery, Karnivool, Cynic.
Mostly rock/hard rock/alternative, etc. Some of my fav. bands Zeppelin, Chili Peppers, TOOL, Pumpkins, Floyd, GnR, basically all the good stuff. Currently I use a Schecter and I'm using a cheap ass Spyder 3 amp. I plan on upgrading a new amp w/ the pedals.h
Quote by CousticStrangla
What does Chorus do?

My model makes my guitar sound like the Vienna Boys' Choir but I think I got ripped off.

What it does is take the sound from the guitar and creates a sound very similar (not exactly the same) in pitch and timbre, so it sounds fuller and almost shimmery in a way.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Distortion/Fuzz.
Overdrive.
Volume pedal.

I definitely don't think a flanger, wah or phase is essential at all. I'd say delay is very worthwhile and chorus is good too at times. Generally one good overdrive pedal is a must, but eventually the best thing ends up being a good guitar + good amp with no pedals in between.
Quote by DaDude450
i personally recommend just like a digitech rp 250. now i know most of the effects arent as good as the real thing, but lets face it, were not pro muscians our distortion doesnt need to be perfect. however i will say the wah on it is ridiculously bad beyond belief.

+1 for the RP 250 (oh, and +1000 for the crappy wah!) Seriously though, for the money this is a great multi effects pedal and more. A very good place to start.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Gibson DC Pro Custom shop
Fender American Stratocaster - Vintage custom
Fender Squier Strat
Fender Standard Telecaster
I think it varies from person to person really. The essential things really should be:

Overdrive/solo boost,
EQ.

I think anything after that is just your preference. Things like wah for instance, never seem essential to me.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Kurapica
I think it varies from person to person really. The essential things really should be:

Overdrive/solo boost,
EQ.

I think anything after that is just your preference. Things like wah for instance, never seem essential to me.

Unless you need to hide behind one like Kirk...
TS9 Tube Screamer
Good Wa'h
Delay
Reverb
Distortion
Flanger
Phaser, and
EQ
Live Rig:
Ibanez Rg 150R w/ Duncan 59s
Marshall JCM2000 TSL60 Head
Mark IV Combo
Marshall 1960a Cab w/ Vintage 30s
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige w/ Duncan 59s
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Currently in Ontario, Canada.

I'd say the only somewhat essential effect would be an overdrive or distortion, depending on how much gain you need, this depends on which amp you have, once I got my H&K I stopped using distortion pedals mostly, but with my previous amp I needed a distortion pedal to get any kind of gain on it.

All other effects are not essential(in my opinion anyways), fun to mess around with and stuff, but definitely not essential.
2004 Fender American HSS Strat
Hughes And Kettner Switchblade
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epi LP Classic
Epi G-400
Yamaha acoustic
Boss DD-3 Delay
B.Y.O.C. MXR Distortion+
Vox Wah
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
If you haven't found yourself in need of any effects so far, chances are you dont need them. If your amp doesn't do it then maybe get distortion/overdrive and reverb.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
The first pedal i bought was a distortion box. That was because i was using a solid state amp. When i got my Laney, i went and got my overdrive, and later, my tubescreamer. I don't care much for modulations, but if you play metal and alot of wah-ey sounds, a wah might be good.
Fender American Vintage '62 Jaguar
Fender Crafted in Japan '62 Telecaster
THD Flexi-50 + Vox V112HTV Handwired Cab
There are no "essential" pedals as such. just what you want to get.

My pedalboard, once complete, will go like this:

Danelectro Talkbox (first in line because when switched on it routes the signal elsewhere)
Wah (Old beaten up "Jen-Electronica" crybaby i found for £15)
Distortion (boss DS-2, i don't care if people think it sucks, i like the sound, i'm getting one.)
Overdrive (Marshall JH-1 in overdrive mode)
Chorus (EHX Small clone - i don't really consider myself needing chorus that much but i'm literally DYING for one of these, absolutely brilliant sound)
Delay/Echo (old beaten up Danelectro DE-1 someone sold me for £2 )

and thats all i want. for reverb i use my amps footswitchable reverb.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
wah wah pedal gain or fuzz maybe a delay.... those are always funn
He said he had a Spyder 3 amp. He was going to upgrade with pedals. Why isn't anyone suggesting a new amp.
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
At the moment I only have a distortion pedal but my teacher has this multieffects board that can do some amazing things and I will definetly be getting something like it when I have the money. His cost a few hundred £. But it is definetly worth it, it has every effect you will ever need and it can even alter your sound so you dont have to detune your guitar unless your using drop tuning or something
Quote by Kurapica

Overdrive/solo boost,
EQ.

Best advice here. Start simple and easy. May be think about a delay pedal as well.

First things first... upgrade to a good valve amp. Work on your chops/technique. That is more important than having a giant board of pedals... once you are feeling proficient... then move to the pedals.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Your crappy amp achieved a purposely crappy tone? I'll alert the presses.