I started sweep picking recently and i want to make sure i dont learn the wrong way. Does it matter if I have my thumb over the neck like a blues guitarist when i sweep or do I need to hold the neck in the classical postition? Also, in addition to rolling my left hand fingers, should I mute anything with my picking hand?
if you can play ok with your thumb like that then its fine. and it might help to mute strings, if you have any extra noise... if you dont i wouldnt worry about it.
well, to make sure you are learning the right way, first of all you have to be comfortable so play only in a position you feel comfortable at all time, when i do sweeps from the 5th string, my left thumb is a lil bit over the neck, but as i play, it slides to the back of the neck. What i do with my picking hand is to mute is the strings as i go up in the strings, i use the part between my pinky and the beginning of the palm(end of wrist), i do that only when im ascending
I'm pretty sure whatever is most comfortable for you will work. I have my thumb not over the top of the neck, but not on the the back. Kind of in the middle.
Quote by lp_breaker
well, to make sure you are learning the right way, first of all you have to be comfortable so play only in a position you feel comfortable at all time, when i do sweeps from the 5th string, my left thumb is a lil bit over the neck, but as i play, it slides to the back of the neck. What i do with my picking hand is to mute is the strings as i go up in the strings, i use the part between my pinky and the beginning of the palm(end of wrist), i do that only when im ascending

that almost exactly how i do it.

as far as for you OP....do what is comfortable. Fingerings are more important to learn correctly than thumb position.

for muting, make sure to roll your fingers, and lift each finger off each note played quickly as you ascend and descend. also try to roll your wrist too, on pick hand, so your pick will smoothly glide over the strings both ways

i kind of drag my pick hand acrross the strings as I ascend to make sure i havent left anything unmuted too. and to control excess noise (high gain etc).

but MOST IMPORTANTLY:

i know you want to do it perfectly immediately, but you wont. Please just take it very slow, and try to keep it as clean as you can. IT WILL come to you eventually with practice. and IT IS like anything else, one day after a lot of practice youll pick up the guitar and say "wtf when did I start doing this well?" lol.

GL!!!

long live shred.
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
Quote by nvranka

"wtf when did I start doing this well?" lol.

heh, i thought that when i could play the tapping part to the solo to one by metallica.
seriously...im sure its the same for everyone, but i swear ill practice something like sweeping or "____" w/e, and then one day ill randomly just do it, and be like WTF?
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels