Page 1 of 3
Biased threads about differing opinions are dumb.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
a lot of good music stems from personal experience and emotion? it isn't all "egotistical jerks spewing out their emo life stories."
Quote by bTOMd
How can you make serious lyrics without personal experiences?

That's a terrible question.

Why do you think KISS made "I Want to Rock n Roll All Night"?
Because they liked to go surfing?
No they liked to rock n roll all night.

You=great.

Quote by MyDesertRose
but kiss suck

Opinions. Learn what the hell they are.
Someone's never heard of Blues...
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by teegman
why do musicians continue to write such gibberish?

who in their right mind wants to buy an album when all it contains is an egotistical jerk spewing out their emo life story?

what do you guys think of this?

Are you the also guy who doesn't like melody?
"That Hidde's a cool guy" -Abe Lincoln
"Hidde? Yeah we jam all the time" -Steve Vai
"Remember that time when burt jumped out of the tree and into the river? Good times!" -Jesus

So I heard you liek profiles?
I disagree... personal lyrics make some of the best songs, like tears in heaven by Clapton.
how can you not write lyrics about personal experiences

would i write a song about skydiving if ive never done it...wouldnt be doing it justice
(im watching mythbusters about skydiving)

doof
~ Purchase your tickets; I'm kicking your crosses down ~
if you guys havent recognized teegman as a stupid troll by now you might as well quit the internet
So Elliott Smith is shit?

and not inspirational in any way because of his lyrics of personal experience?

wow, this thread fails...
Oh f*ck it,
I'm gonna have a party.
I had the blankest year,
I watched life turn into a TV show.
It was totally weird.
Quote by InTheFlesh!
a lot of good music stems from personal experience and emotion?

Of course musical ideas stem from personal experiences and emotions. Lyrics about those experiences on the other hand are boring, unimportant and mostly adopted by immature artists who like to patronize their audience.
i'm not a metal head, but other than metal, pretty much every new band i hear is complete crap. they're all generic, and the lyrics are all the same. just talking about their love life or relationships or whatever, whether it's emo or not.

my two friends and i are resurrecting our old band, and we're going to have lyrics, but just make them about taco bell or halo or whatever. we're going to put the vox through a bunch of effects or whatever and keep it at the same volume as the other instruments, so the vox will hopefully be more of an instrument than a lead thing or whatever. that's the idea, anyway.
You have to write about personal stuff. If you don't and write about stuff you dont know about then most of the time you wont know what the hell youre talking about.

Which is why 99% of artists just write about drug use anyway.
Quote by teegman
Of course musical ideas stem from personal experiences and emotions. Lyrics about those experiences on the other hand are boring, unimportant and mostly adopted by immature artists who like to patronize their audience.

*holds gun up to side of head and pulls trigger* lets put some chords together about the way we feel about something and put different lyrics in there
~ Purchase your tickets; I'm kicking your crosses down ~
Quote by teegman
tears in heaven isn't a good song, it's a redundant musician making money out of the death of his 4yrold son.

o god. ive seen this argument somewhere before. you are obviously a soulless monster to even think that. your thread failed, and now YOU fail. quit while your....i dont wanna say ahead because that would give this thread validity.....quit while youre.....closer to being succesful than you are at this moment.
Well to be fair, some of my favorite songs have lyrics that have no meaning and are a string of cool words and stuff and that's cool but I like personal lyrics too. I guess lyrics really aren't THAT incredibly important to me at all when it comes down to it. I wish Teegman wouldn't make these thread's though 'cuz they just end up with everyone BUT Teegman looking like and idiot because he argues his point so logically....
I see that you are obviously oblivious to the economics of music: People, as a whole, will listen to whatever they want, regardless of your attempts to "convert the heathens".

Quote by Beakwithteeth
he argues his point so logically....

He argues on logics that is inherently unprovable. He might as well be arguing on false logics.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
you need personal experience's
however when everyone of your songs is :my girfriend dumped me, my mommy hates me, etc." then i agree with you but you still need experiences to write about
Quote by andy_thomas
Were you by any chance, exposing your scrotum to an open flame?
Sat in your room
And laughed out loud
Suddenly the laughter died
W were caught in an eye to eye
Sat on the floor
And did we sit close
I could smell your thoughts and thought
Do you want to touch a lot like me
Too scared to say a thing
Left your house and kicked myself
Put those feelings on a shelf to die
Guess I'm not a gambling type
But think of what the two of us had lost
Had lost...

Needed some time
To think it out
Seven-Eleven parking lot
Toothless woman turned and stopped
I gave her a dime
And a Chesterfield
She leaned down and kissed my cheek
I was scared but it felt sweet
Felt so sweet...
She asked me if I had a name
Told her I was glued up on some chick
Sat and smoked against the wall
Drank a beer
Felt the chill of fall
Of fall...

I took my car and drove it down
The hill by your house
Drove so fast
The wind it couldn't cool me down
So I turned it around
Came back up
You were waiting on your step
Steam showing off your breath
And water in your eyes
Pulled each other into one
Parkas clinging on the lawn
And kissed right there

Said "All my chicks they smoke these things"
And handed you a Chesterfield King
Held your hand and watched TV
Traced the little lines along your palm
Your palm...

I took my car and drove it down
The hill by your house
Drove so fast
The wind it couldn't cool me down
So I turned it around
Came back up
You were waiting on your step
Steam showing off your breath
And water in your eyes
Pulled each other into one
Parkas clinging on the lawn
And kissed right there
Right there...
Right there

Another response to TS's question could be, "Why do people write poetry?"
kill all humans
Quote by Xiaoxi

He argues on logics that is inherently unprovable. He might as well be arguing on false logics.

No logic when it comes to music or art is proveable. Teegman apparently listens to music with his head while most people listen with their heart, or a combination of the two. I am part of the latter but there is no way to defeat him logically so arguing your point is inevitably going to make you look like the stupid one, trust me I have seen it happen.
Quote by Xiaoxi
I see that you are obviously oblivious to the economics of music: People, as a whole, will listen to whatever they want, regardless of your attempts to "convert the heathens".

A majority of people will listen to what's thrown at them the most and have little to no incentive to search outside what is easily accessible and what fits their 'musical comfort zone'.

A vast majority are completely oblivious to the tenacity, integrity or originality of the artists they listen to, and, being realistic about it, really don't give a **** either.

Thus the world revolves.

I'm just trying to do my bit to higher standards of an oft bastardized artform.
What're you supposed to write them about? I tend to write stories about other people, but they always wind up reflecting me and people I know. Though, those are usually just where I get ideas, and then wind up with stories involving dead mothers, and homeless guys being crazy and thinking their guitar is their daughter.. But anyway.
Quote by ANTHRAX†
So Elliott Smith is shit?

and not inspirational in any way because of his lyrics of personal experience?

Why do you people always bring up musicians that not everyone likes?
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Presumably because said musicians are writing the music for their own personal enjoyment or money. Or as some sort of cartharsis or whatever. I highly doubt they see it as a driving force behind the actual music.
Quote by Beakwithteeth
No logic when it comes to music or art is proveable. Teegman apparently listens to music with his head while most people listen with their heart, or a combination of the two. I am part of the latter but there is no way to defeat him logically so arguing your point is inevitably going to make you look like the stupid one, trust me I have seen it happen.

So just because some people can't make a good argument against him, I'm automatically in the wrong as well?

Listening to music "with his head" is incredibly arbitrary. As an aspiring composition and jazz major, I also listen to music "with my head" for musical analysis, yet I fail to see what this has to do with holding your opinion above everyone else's. The fact of the matter is, even if you establish ideals about music, there will be millions of others who disagree or just plain don't care about your opinions on music. Any attempt to show people the "right" way is futile and a waste of time and effort.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by teegman
I AM IN-VIN-CIBLE!

- Boris

Well you make thread's that are invincible, that's for sure.
What you guys don't understand is that Teegman actually listens to a lot of Michael Jackson, loves melody and acoustic guitars, personal lyrics, and is just on some strange dadaist artistic experiment.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by Xiaoxi
So just because some people can't make a good argument against him, I'm automatically in the wrong as well?

Listening to music "with his head" is incredibly arbitrary. As an aspiring composition and jazz major, I also listen to music "with my head" for musical analysis, yet I fail to see what this has to do with holding your opinion above everyone else's. The fact of the matter is, even if you establish ideals about music, there will be millions of others who disagree or just plain don't care about your opinions on music. Any attempt to show people the "right" way is futile and a waste of time and effort.

I know, I don't agree with Teegman I am saying that you arguing with him is going to get you nowhere. I listen to music with my head too but what I mean is he entirely does. Like why do you listen to music that has acoustic instruments? There is really no logical reason, more of a just because.

But then again he probably IS an art expiriment so I retract everything I have said.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
What you guys don't understand is that Teegman actually listens to a lot of Michael Jackson, loves melody and acoustic guitars, personal lyrics, and is just on some strange dadaist artistic experiment.

Thriller is an EXCELLENT album.
Quote by teegman
A majority of people will listen to what's thrown at them the most and have little to no incentive to search outside what is easily accessible and what fits their 'musical comfort zone'.

A vast majority are completely oblivious to the tenacity, integrity or originality of the artists they listen to, and, being realistic about it, really don't give a **** either.

I agree with that many people have no incentive to search for something different. It is because they are satisfied with the quality of music as it is. However, it doesn't just pertain to pop music. It can pertain to almost any style of music. One who tends to listen to one style of music tend to stay within that circle. It becomes a native taste that can sometimes be inflexible. Yet even in that circumstance, what diminishes the equity of these people's opinions compared to yours?

It is also true that many people don't appreciate music little more than on the surface. This is because music is not a staple for everyone. Just as you may find biochemistry or 19th century English literature or architecture to be of little interest or value to you, there are many who are passionate about those subjects. Should you feel passionate about these subjects as well just because others do? Ultimately, music is just another subject. No one person can take everything into their spectrum of interest. It is simply ridiculous for you to expect that everyone should share your interest on the same level.

Quote by Beakwithteeth
I know, I don't agree with Teegman I am saying that you arguing with him is going to get you nowhere. I listen to music with my head too but what I mean is he entirely does. Like why do you listen to music that has acoustic instruments? There is really no logical reason, more of a just because.

So why am I necessarily the stupid one? Ever consider that he's the idiot for posing the questions and using untestable logics in the first place?

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Mar 6, 2008,
Page 1 of 3