Ok i finally got a strap for my strat today. I really love the way it looks but as soon as i put it on my guitar and put around my neck, i couldnt play anything. It doesnt feel natural at all after playing for so long sitting down. I couldnt find a good position for my fretting hand. I tried adjusting the strap, holding the guitar at different angles, nothing has helped. I also can't see the fretboard now which poses a problem being a beginner. I know one day i won't need to look at it but now i have to. Any suggestions?
with my bc rich when i play with the strap i sit the odd v-shape at the bottom on my thigh when i solo. it the only way i can play lower comfortably
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
Just mess around with it's length until you find a comfortable spot. I usually keep mine around my waist, I don't like it real low because then its too hard to reach the damn frets, and too high hurts my arm when I go to the upper frets.
2004 Fender American HSS Strat
Hughes And Kettner Switchblade
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epi LP Classic
Epi G-400
Yamaha acoustic
Boss DD-3 Delay
B.Y.O.C. MXR Distortion+
Vox Wah
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Everyone has the same problem you do when you start trying to play standing up, just practice it a lot and it should become more natural
I have a problem that my guitar strap will randomly fall off the guitar and I have to catch the guitar to keep it from smashing into the ground :/

Dunno if this is due to cheap strap or wrong type of strap or what. I bought the cloth strap for like $5. Plan on buying a nicer leather one at some point. My buddy said to just duct tape it on but this would look pretty ghetto I think :p
Quote by Aitrus
I have a problem that my guitar strap will randomly fall off the guitar and I have to catch the guitar to keep it from smashing into the ground :/

That's why strap lock systems exist.
If you can afford it, try to find a local leather worker, and have them make a strap, if they make belts etc. they will probably make a strap for you, plus the thick leather wont break, especially good if you have a heavy guitar, and mabye some strap lockes to keep your guitar from slipping.
sigh...
Never heard of a strap lock!

Guess that and a guitar cleaning kit are my next purchases when I hit the guitar shop next time.
Yeah i used to have the same problem, dont worry you'll get used to it, just keep practising playing standing up
Quote by Aitrus
Never heard of a strap lock!

Guess that and a guitar cleaning kit are my next purchases when I hit the guitar shop next time.

Remember to buy some fingerease

(okay... if you haven't read scar tissue you won't get that)
Quote by rabidguitarist
Please don't ruin this thread. Transvestitism is serious business.
Quote by GoDrex
it takes getting used to - just keep trying, eventually it will feel normal.

by the way - around your neck? It should be over your shoulder and across your back.

I guess i worded that wrong. It's not hanging around my neck. I wear it like you said^^.
When I first started playing standing up. Someone gave me one of the best tips I ever got. Hike that **** up. It's all personal preference really, but I find that if my guitar is like... right above my waist it gives me the best fret access and all that junk.

Although it makes you look like a dweeb.

Keep at it.
Only people who hold the guitar down to their knees are guitarists who are just playing for looks, not because they like it. Play with it at the same height it would be if you were sitting down, if you love guitar you wont sacrifice sound for looks.
I was a little disappointed when I went to get a strap lock and found out I would have to drill holes or some **** into my guitar to install them. Not an ideal solution for a noob :p

I did however wedge a bread pick over the strap and it has reduced how often the strap falls off dramatically.

My friend suggested duct tape as another alternative ><
My Gear
Epi Les Paul
Roland Microcube
Boss DS-1 pedal
Shure SM57
M-Audio Fasttrack
drill holes? i use dimarzio strap locks and all you do is unscrew the strap buttons, put the appropriate strap pieces over the holes and screw the buttons back in. think mine were 30 bucks, but well worth it. never, had a problem with them. but if you're that worried about it, any decent guitar store should be willing to do it for you, for only a couple of bucks(or free, if you bought the strap from them)

and id stay away from duct tape. you really want that glue all over your precious?
Last edited by tdopz at Apr 28, 2008,
My dad made a kick ass "strap lock" that looks great.

He drilled holes in the centers of two quarters...yeah, it costs $0.50.

Then, he took the screw out of my guitar's strap studs, placed a quarter on top of the stud and then put the screw through the quarter/stud and screwed it back into the guitar.

It works perfectly, you may have to make the strap holes a tiny bit bigger to fit them over the quarters though.
Quote by OsokDracul
My dad made a kick ass "strap lock" that looks great.

He drilled holes in the centers of two quarters...yeah, it costs $0.50.

Then, he took the screw out of my guitar's strap studs, placed a quarter on top of the stud and then put the screw through the quarter/stud and screwed it back into the guitar.

It works perfectly, you may have to make the strap holes a tiny bit bigger to fit them over the quarters though.

You could just use washers. Then it costs about 10 cents.
^ Yeah, that was the first choice, but we couldn't find any around the house that were big enough AND had a smaller opening than the head of the screw. Plus, the quarters are shiny and look really good on the guitar.
Bring the strap up until it's more comfortable and then you can work your way down to a cooler looking level without sacrificing how clean you play.....I where mine around belt level all the time and my bass a little below the belt....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
If you don't have these already, get strap locks. If you don't get them when playing your guitar might fall off the strap, and land on the floor. This could cause serious damage to your guitar. Please get strap locks if you don't already have them before something bad happens to your guitar.

I know this isn't the answer to your question, but it is about guitar straps. And I thought this was very important and could save your guitar from something that could be avoided.