Page 1 of 2
I was going to go to the store and try one out and i dont want to sound dumb to the guy im talking to so i want to say it right is it:

EYE - buh - nez
EE - buh - nez
ee - BAH - nez

ive heard people say it all these ways. I personally say it the first way but i dont know whats right
eye-buh-nez, at least that's how i do it
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
I use to say EYE-Banes lol . Eye-buh-nez is the way to go.
Quote by RazorbackDevil
This man is cool in my book. He apparently likes boobs as much as me.
Quote by cerveza
as does that one.
+1
Quote by .Will.
+100
Quote by Lamrick21
yeah ill +1 that one.

i smell a hate thread brewing!
You think that matters up until you find out it's actually ( or at least was originally ) a Japanese company.
EYE-buh-nez
Quote by Green RATM Day

Electric - you plug it into a power outlet in the wall and the music comes from little speakers in the guitar.

Quote by The Raven
^ Bugger! You win this time Dark Ra - Hey! Thats partially my name dammit! I challenge you... to a gentleman's dual!

All My Equipment
I was going to go to the store and try one out and i dont want to sound dumb to the guy im talking to so i want to say it right

i felt the same way about behringer amps.

oh, and everyone i know says eye-bah-nez
Last edited by pwrmax at Mar 6, 2008,
ih-bahn-yez
Gear:
Fender Standard Telecaster Electric Guitar Ash
Bugera 333XL 212
Dunlop Original Cry Baby >> Korg Pitchblack Tuner >> MXR Carbon Copy >> Boss DS-1
If you want to pronounce it correctly it's ee-BAH-nez, however nobody's going to care if you say EYE-bah-nez.

However, if you pronounce Les Paul "Lay Paul" you'll rightly get laughed out of the shop
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by TheQuailman
ee-ba-NEZ for me. Kinda "spanish" sounding. All sillables are pretty short for me.

It was originally a Spanish company.
EYE - buh - nez is what I say.
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
Ee-buh-nez. Absolutely everybody here pronounces it like that.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
I pronounce it Eye-buh-nez.

I suppose it all depends on where you come from. A bit like pronouncing potato and tomato. People will say it differently depending on where there from.
Eye-Buh- Nez

But my dad pronounces it:

I(as in did)-buh-nez
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
The original pronunciation was with an "ee" sound...since it's a Japanese owned company and no longer Spanish the pronunciation is now "eye".
Quote by smb
The original pronunciation was with an "ee" sound...since it's a Japanese owned company and no longer Spanish the pronunciation is now "eye".
Actually, I believe the Japanese would probably pronounce it ee-bah-nez

My novice understanding of the Japanese language leads me to believe they pronounce their vowels consistently, even when the appear next to each other in a single word.

To use a semi-lame Kill Bill reference...

Ishii = ee-she-ee
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
Quote by spadesplayer666
We pronounce it
I-BEEN-HAD

Thanks for that informative comment from the peanut gallery.

Getting back to pronounciation. I usually pronounce it eye-ban-nez although if it's Spanish in origin I believe the correct pronounciation should be closer to e-bah-neth or e-bah-nes.

Any native Spanish speakers in the house that can verify or shoot me down in flames on this.
I see Mother Nature equipped you for a battle of wits in the same way she equipped cows for supersonic flight.
i pronounce it as

Edge 3'S SUCK

nah

ee ba nez
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Quote by BigBaldIan
Thanks for that informative comment from the peanut gallery.

Getting back to pronounciation. I usually pronounce it eye-ban-nez although if it's Spanish in origin I believe the correct pronounciation should be closer to e-bah-neth or e-bah-nes.

Any native Spanish speakers in the house that can verify or shoot me down in flames on this.

From my (very basic) understanding of Spanish, I agree. But it sounds a bit strange.

Everyone pronounces it eye-bah-nez, so be a sheep and do the same.
Quote by trutrojan8
ih-bahn-yez

Yep. Me too. Guess we're both n00bs...
Epiphone Les Paul Custom(alpine white)
Roland Cube 20x
Plenty of potential
Ibanez is named after Spanish guitar maker Salvador Ibanez (pronounced ih-bahn-yez) however the most common pronounciation is eye-bah-nez (english version). Either pronounciation is accepted.
I can copy and paste from Wikipedia

Eye-bah-nez

Ibanez (pronounced /ˈaɪbænɛz/ or /aɪˈbænɛz/) is a guitar brand owned by Hoshino Gakki based in Nagoya, Aichi, Japan.

The Ibanez name dates back to 1929 when Hoshino Gakki started importing Salvador Ibanez acoustic guitars into Japan from the famous Spanish luthier Salvador Ibáñez (1854 - 1920), but when the Spanish workshop was destroyed during the Spanish Civil War (1936 - 1939) and the original guitars became unavailable (and very much sought after because of their excellent quality), Hoshino Gakki bought the Ibanez brand name rights and started making Spanish and acoustic guitars on their own, first as "Ibanez Salvador", and later as "Ibanez"
I always say it EE-buh-nez, but my friend did some research in the actual name, and he said it was originally written with an accent over then, like in spanish, so it's ee--BAHN-yez

^see post above me
Quote by Altoidwithmelon
Hambonicus, that was epic with a side of win

98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.

Proud member of the "I don't believe in global warming clan".
Eye-Buh-Nez. But yeah man, you totally need to learn that one.
Quote by The_Tiki
The hardest part about being gay is,well nothing...nothing at all...well,I guess my butt hurts...

Quote by suthy16
Agreed. If you're stupid enough to ask the Pit to help you with your homework, you're probably too stupid to succeed in life anyway.
How the hell to people get the "uh" sound from the letter a?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
If you're in an Asian country,then you might wanna pronounce it as ee-ba-nez.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Quote by steven seagull
How the hell to people get the "uh" sound from the letter a?

Like in caught.
i pronounce them:

skwy-er
sheck-ter
cape-oh
eye-ban-ez
Dee'addario (tho that's wrong im sure)
Less paul

it's different depending where you live. ta
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Page 1 of 2