I feel like modding out an Ibanez guitar into some sort of psychadelic metal / Vai-esque eccentric guitar.

Now since I will basically be scrapping most of the parts for those of my choice (I will probably keep the bridge, tuners and pots though)... all i need is a fast-neck, quality body, working trem, and a plain finish.

With this in mind, just name off of a few affordable models that I will not have remorse for when I tear it apart.
None of them... the cheap Ibanez are built like crap. Mod something that will last and you will enjoy. My advice is to look into a junked MIJ RG of some kind that needs some work; ones with faulty electronics, ones in need of a refinish, ones with worn out hardware, etc.
cheap and trem don't really go well together.

if you look for somethign with a fixed bridge you'll start finding some gems..
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by CJRocker
None of them... the cheap Ibanez are built like crap. Mod something that will last and you will enjoy. My advice is to look into a junked MIJ RG of some kind that needs some work; ones with faulty electronics, ones in need of a refinish, ones with worn out hardware, etc.

Makes sense... any good idea of where to find good-quality used models (that isn't eBay... I don't feel like ****ing around when I could just buy something)?
Last edited by RockDJ at Mar 7, 2008,
SA series.I have an SA160QM,and it kicks ass.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Quote by RockDJ
Makes sense... any good idea of where to find good-quality used models (that isn't eBay... I don't feel like ****ing around when I could just buy something)?

Pawn shops, stores that carry used stuff, Craigslist, Gbase, etc
Ibazet JetKing2 ?
Quote by killedbyaspork
because there is also a gibson squire, and they don't want to get them confused
S470/320/whatever none presige models they have now.
Used RG550s/570s that sorta stuff.

They're the only ones you can get "cheap" with good trems.
However if you don't want a trem then that's another thing entirely.
^^ Agree with the Jet King. Those guitars are awesome and really cheap. But just not for the style he's going to play.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
I might consider Ebay... what is the whole idea behind it? Is it easy to get things?

Would a SD Custom/59 combo work on these guitars (I might get one instead of my g-400).

Also, how bad are Ibanez trems?
Last edited by RockDJ at Mar 7, 2008,
Quote by RockDJ
I might consider Ebay... what is the whole idea behind it? Is it easy to get things?

Would a SD Custom/59 combo work on these guitars (I might get one instead of my g-400).

Also, how bad are Ibanez trems?

The bad ones are bad, just like most mediocre cheap LFR's. On the other hand, the high end stuff (Edge, ZR to an extent, Edge Pro, Lo Pro etc.) are awesome.
Dude I bought a Squier Bullet for $99,with the right effects i can play For the Loe Of God and it sounds perfect,I can also do a full dive and pretty much rape the trem and it stays in tune,but I might have just got lucky all the other Bullets ive played blow.
Quote by RandyRhoads2
Dude I bought a Squier Bullet for $99,with the right effects i can play For the Loe Of God and it sounds perfect,I can also do a full dive and pretty much rape the trem and it stays in tune,but I might have just got lucky all the other Bullets ive played blow.

I have one of the non-reissue bullets (ie. dull blue, no trem, questionable wood)... yeah.

Make sure the one you get has an Edge Pro.

Apparently 'Pro' is industry code for 'not ****' then.