Hi. I've been reading and enjoying the threads for a little while now, but this is my first post. I'm a beginning guitarist and am looking for the best guitar and amp setup I can get for around $500. Based on some things I've read and people I've talked to, I was looking at the Ibanez RG321 or RG2EX1 and a Roland Cube 30X. Is that a good setup for someone starting out, but something I can grow into? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Casey
Quote by ch0
RG321 and a Cube30X would be a great setup.

Can't get much better for starting out!
Quote by killbox2490
HOLY S**T! There is a switch hahahahahha. Thanks Red Wing. Now you're probably going to quote me for being so retarded

CLAPTON IS GOD
^^ If you play hard rock/metal.

If you play more blues and rock, maybe a Vox Valvetronix AD30VT and a (used) Fender Strat/Tele?
Quote by Iceman 420
^^ If you play hard rock/metal.

If you play more blues and rock, maybe a Vox Valvetronix AD30VT and a (used) Fender Strat/Tele?

I've been playing alot of blues rock on my Ibanez. I wouldn't disagree with the Fender `but since your starting out I would suggest getting a humbucker in the bridge so you can get a greater variety of tones. The Cube 30 is a very versatile amp and personally would take it over the Vox.
Quote by killbox2490
HOLY S**T! There is a switch hahahahahha. Thanks Red Wing. Now you're probably going to quote me for being so retarded

CLAPTON IS GOD
My daughter's guitar teacher (I take her, listen to the instruction she gets, and then go home and practice--seems to be working out pretty well) said that the Ibanez guitars are pretty versatile as far as being able to play various types of music. That's why I had been looking at them more than others. They also seemed to be a good value for what you get.
i think the iceman guitar will be better. get iceman ic200, ic300, or ic400; and get micro cube!
I am purchasing an Ibanez SZ520 for my first electric. Right now you can find them on close-out at a few places (Ibanez has a new version for 2008, the SZR). I'm getting mine at a local non-chain retailer, but I see American Musical Supply has them at a similar price ($379.98).
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-IBA-SZ520QM-GAB-LIST

A little more than the RG321, but I've heard good things. The set neck is very nice, although it doesn't have the Wizard II neck (like the RG which is thinner and very fast), which made me hem and haw a bit, but decided to go that route anyways. The sustain is awesome and the axe looks incredible (quilted maple top). I like the toggle switch better than the blade on the RG's. I pick mine up in a week. I'm going with the Vox DA5 for a amp. It's portable with lots of tone options to discover what you like. It even runs on batteries in case you want to play in the middle of nowhere. Total will be slightly over $500 (around $550, not including case or instrument cable).

d-axenut
Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it. Anyone played the RG2EX1? The RG321 doesn't seem to be readily available, but the RG2EX1 is. It lists for $529 and sells for $299. Reviews seem to be very good. Didn't know if any of you have personal experience with it. They have one down at Guitar Center, so I'll go by there. I think I'm going to go with the Roland 30X amp. I'll listen to that while I'm there too.
Quote by caseyd1012
Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it. Anyone played the RG2EX1? The RG321 doesn't seem to be readily available, but the RG2EX1 is. It lists for $529 and sells for $299. Reviews seem to be very good. Didn't know if any of you have personal experience with it. They have one down at Guitar Center, so I'll go by there. I think I'm going to go with the Roland 30X amp. I'll listen to that while I'm there too.

I'm going out on a limb and assuming that the RG2EX1 is gonna play pretty much the exact same as an RG321MH except with different materials used (basswood / mahogany, EMG-IBZ pickups / IFN series) so... if it is... great choice! Personally, I would hit the RG321MH as IFN pickups will be a tad more versatile (they still sound kinda ****) than the EMG-IBZ pickups.

Out of curiosity, what music styles do you intend on? Personally, the Roland Cube is a decent amp if you want hi-gain and play metal stuff, but OD tones are kinda mediocre. If you plan on playing stuff that tends to lean towards light gain and cleans, I would go for the Vox AD15VT / AD30VT.
Well, I like classic rock a lot. Also, I'll be playing a lot of praise band stuff. I doubt I'll ever play too much metal stuff, but who knows. I'll check out that Vox. I had asked my daughter's guitar teacher about others besides the Ibanez, since I won't probably play much metal, but he said the Ibanez guitars are still good because of their versatility. He said the Fenders and such might not be able to play all types as well. Thoughts?
Eh...I'd say a strat would be more versatile than an Ibanez RG.

EDIT: Especially if you won't be going into high-gain territory.