I have about $1400 to spend on a head or half stack (or maybe full stack!) and I've been doing research and I was wondering if these are good choices, which amp is good at what genres/tones, which one has the best overall sound quality/volume/distortions/cleans/features/etc....

Carvin Legacy
Peavey Valveking
(don't know brand) 5150 III
Peavey JSX
Carvin V3
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
Mesa Boogie Mark IV
Peavey Windsor
------------
OhMyGosh123
Oh, by the way
I want a tone like Joe Sat on the song "super colosal"
and also i want the sound like tom morello (on practically all his songs)
and also i want a sound that sounds great with power chords like sum 41/blink182/etc
------------
OhMyGosh123
the Mesa Boogies are all very good amps with a wide variety of tones. The 5150 III is the Van Halen model of the Peavey, if I'm not mistaken. Personally I would go Mesa!
Quote by killbox2490
HOLY S**T! There is a switch hahahahahha. Thanks Red Wing. Now you're probably going to quote me for being so retarded

CLAPTON IS GOD
Mesa Mark IV

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Unless you meant 5150 II, the 5150 III is made by "EVH" which is a Fender brand. It also costs about $2000 new, so I'm guessing you made a typo?

Carvin Legacy - Shred sound, used by Steve Vai, I hear it's not too high-gain but is a pretty versatile amp
Peavey Valveking - Honestly, with the other amps you're looking at, I wouldn't even consider it. Versatile though.
Peavey JSX - Used by Joe Satriani, great cleans, lead channel etc. I really like these for metal and a lot of things really, others don't agree.
Carvin V3 - Tons of options with it, has a lot of stuff you wouldn't find on amps twice its price, can get tons of tones. Great amp for the price. Covers everything from cleans/blues to modern metal
Mesa Boogie Dual/Triple Rectifier - (imo) the weakest Mesa amps, the new ones at least. If you can find an old two channel, that'd be awesome. Their cleans are sub-par, though they can be good with some tweaking. Very loose low end. Lots of gain though, NOT a lead player's amp.
Mesa Boogie Mark IV - I own one, so I obviously have high praises for them. Extremely versatile, I kid you not, it can do everything. Switchable from 85W all the way down to 15 depending on settings. Great lead tone, very nice cleans, honestly I think this is probably your best bet, head will run you ~$1200.
Peavey Windsor - At high volumes, it's all distortion. It's a hot rodded Marshall JCM 800, no useable cleans unless at lower volumes.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
The tone on "super colossal" is mainly an octave effect, not just an amp tone.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
Quote by Aeolipile
the 5150 lll is EVH brand, if you want satriani tone id check out the jsx.

the new one, but the old on is a peavy I havent tried the new one but the old one was very acclaimed and sounded good.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Quote by helsinki_vampir
JCM 800 2205 to be exactly.

well actually i heard it was a JCM 800 2203...
------------
OhMyGosh123
V3 or Mark IV. And don't bother with a full stack. Many people regard half stacks to be overkill there is no way in hell you need a full stack.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Old school 5150 or maybe a Carvin. I have a Windsor, and you need an effects processor or a lot a pedals to achieve an excellent sound out of it.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
Quote by OhMyGosh123
well actually i heard it was a JCM 800 2203...

Considering he tells you it's a 2205, and the fact that there's more than 6 knobs means it obviously has to be a 2205.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by CarbonDeath
Old school 5150 or maybe a Carvin. I have a Windsor, and you need an effects processor or a lot a pedals to achieve an excellent sound out of it.

Can the JSX make similar sounds to the Legacy?
------------
OhMyGosh123