he's got a pretty interestin scale he uses alot, cant quite put my finger on it.
sounds nearly pentatonic but not quite.

any ideas?
Quote by WickedBeast666
Noooooooooooo how could this be! he at all the chocolate in the box
Oh well, now the empty shell of what used to be chocolaty goodness can contain a tasty guitar circuit.

speaking of my homemade pedal
Yeah, I know what you're talking about. In fact i remember thinnking the same thing when i first heard him.
The thing is he is basically a jazz guitarist so he uses very strange scales that you'd have to learn in jazz courses.
But i can give you a few tips and things to help you out:

1/ String skipping - He does this alot. My advice for practising this is to try and lead only on E, G and A strings. this will help you learn how to make patterns while skipping strings. Take the other strings off if needed.

2/ Jazz Chords - When he does a lead there are lots of Arps and such, which is basically just a jazz chord picked individually instead of being strummed. Try these during leads:

In the key of A:
E----X-------------------
B----5-------------------
G----6-------------------
D----5-------------------
A----X-------------------
E----5-------------------

In the key of E
E-------------------------
B-----7-------8-----------
G-----7-------7-----------
D-----6-------6-----------
A-----7-------7-----------
E-------------------------

Try picking each note instead of strumming all of the notes at once.

3/ and finally, learn his songs - go to www.mysongbook.com and download guitar pro and some eric johnson tabs. this program will play the song for you and show you the tabs. it is very helpful.

I hope this was helpful, Peace

Jimi
Quote by Jimi-is-god
The thing is he is basically a jazz guitarist so he uses very strange scales that you'd have to learn in jazz courses.

Are you sure you're talking about Eric Johnson? He's famous for using mostly pentatonic and blues scales, and those are hardly uncommon or strange.
Quote by which ones pink
Are you sure you're talking about Eric Johnson? He's famous for using mostly pentatonic and blues scales, and those are hardly uncommon or strange.

Or is that what the subpar-guitar-knowledgeable fanbase/public says? Or is it actually true. A lot of people can pick out a pentatonic...
Quote by Galvanise69
Off topic sorry, you seem like a knowledgeble jazzbo. Can you advise me on any information on how to create rootless voicings? In jazz classes im sick and tired of playing the same of barred major7 chord shape..

I don't know, I would personally play a fun upbeat little solo in the same key!
Or learn to play songs by lee ritenour and or Guthrie Govan ( He is a "Fusion" player so to speak, but in a sense its the same thing.

Take your boring chords or scales, and kick in some speedy legatos, to string skipping speed licks. Than kick it off with a little vibrato here and there!
Quote by Avedas
Or is that what the subpar-guitar-knowledgeable fanbase/public says? Or is it actually true. A lot of people can pick out a pentatonic...

As someone who's learned quite a few of his solos: Yes, he makes frequent use of the pentatonic scale. His distinct sound generally comes from his phrasing and the wide intervalic jumps he makes during his solos...and obviously, his tone.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
As someone who's learned quite a few of his solos: Yes, he makes frequent use of the pentatonic scale. His distinct sound generally comes from his phrasing and the wide intervalic jumps he makes during his solos...and obviously, his tone.

He does use penatonic minor scale, and plays in the aeolian mode; however you do hear alot of Jazz Roots ie "manhattan"
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=XRFaf4k6cZg
Last edited by Jimi-is-god at Mar 7, 2008,
Quote by Galvanise69
Off topic sorry, you seem like a knowledgeble jazzbo. Can you advise me on any information on how to create rootless voicings? In jazz classes im sick and tired of playing the same of barred major7 chord shape..
Hey, you should create an independent post about this in AT and I'll be happy to help...cause barred 7th's in a jazz class?
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Quote by Jimi-is-god
Take the other strings off if needed

That right there is bad advice; how are you going to knnow if you're skipping over the other strings cleanly if they aren't there?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by nightraven
eric johnson is a fluent jazz guitarist. he just resides mostly in his rock/shred music, but his few jazz pieces show his capabilities.

I have no doubt that he is capable of that kind of music, I was just saying that the majority of his music is pentatonic based.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
That right there is bad advice; how are you going to knnow if you're skipping over the other strings cleanly if they aren't there?

Just to get used to it!
that is what my guitar teacher told me to do
Quote by Galvanise69

Easy, learn how to spell out the chords you are playing and put them on the top four strings and leave out the root so you can room to include extensions like 9's and 13's.
12 fret fury
Quote by Jimi-is-god
Just to get used to it!

Then your teacher is an idiot. Seriously, it's string skipping. How are you supposed to practice if the strings that you need to be skipping aren't there?
Quote by Jimi-is-god
Just to get used to it!

Then get a new teacher; the hard part about the technique is not hitting the other strings, your treachers advice defies all reason and logic.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
There's an entire issue of guitar one about eric johnson and the pentatonic scale. I'd say he mainly uses that.

edit: I think it has a lot moer to do with his control and phrasing than it does with the actual scale. his control and technique is phenominal.
Last edited by Spamwise at Mar 8, 2008,
Quote by Jimi-is-god
It says if needed not if you dont feel like it, christ....
It was a suggestion!

It was a terrible suggestion, anyone who followed that advice could end up taking a string off their guitar and wasting huge amounts of time on something that is completely un-beneficial to their playing.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.