Okay so i was tuning D.. and lately my guitar strings have been breaking like its going out of style ok.. Maybe its my guitar tuner.. atleast that what i think it is.. Usually my guitar string would last me like.. forever.. but i lost my guitar tuner.. so lately I've been having to resort to this old crappy one ; ;.. I resorted to tuning the guitar myself sometimes.. But it gets very fusterating sometimes.. I just recently taught myself how to tune it myself.. I usually just go to the first song i learned(Johnny cash - i walk the line) and keep playing it until it sounds right.. But thats only played with 3 strings.. E, A, and D.. But i keep going down with it and play it with all strings until it sounds right.. But i also been thinking maybe its the strings I'm getting.. my question is "What would be the best kind of string i can get for my Epiphone Gibson SG special Model?"... I've also been thinking if it could be me.. But i never break strings.. Well I did when first started playing (Only been playing for 4-5 years).. Well Idk... Can anyone help me?
You've been playing for 4-5 years and can't properly tune your guitar even without a tuner?

And your strings shouldn't be breaking all the time, you must be doing something wrong. Practically all strings are ok for any guitar.
you might need to make a bridge adjustment bro, id check that and if its still a prob. look into getting the action set up. good luck
Im gonna pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans !!!!
first off...is it a gibson or an epiphone.....

if its an epiphone, then i dont see how you could break a string...

i bought my epi for christmas, and my strings havent budged.....

all my friends all play with ernie ball......exept me.....me and my new azz guitar....but i usually play with ernie balls......

but ive been looking at some elixir nanowebsm they look pretty cool......
!GEAR!

Epiphone '07 Faded Cherry G-400
Martin 00CXRAE Grand Concert
Spider III 75 watt
Fender Premium Celluloid Mediums
Dunlop Slash Crybaby Wah
umm, youre tuning down and breaking strings? and been playing 4-5 years and can't tune?

tuning down shouldn't be breaking your strings, do yourself a favour, learn to tune the guitar, and train your ear a little.
Don't tune to D standard :S. Thicker gauge strings work for me and my Junior, adjust the bridge like Opethfan1 said. Learn how to tune is another good one. I have never had this problem before, but I am trying to help. Make sure you have the tuner set right, how ever those things work. Umm...Are you re-stringing them properly? Wait till ya get a floyd Rose bridge. Hell of a pain in my bum to fix one of those. (I have been playing for 2 years ??) :S
Quote by RazorbackDevil
This man is cool in my book. He apparently likes boobs as much as me.
Quote by cerveza
as does that one.
+1
Quote by .Will.
+100
Quote by Lamrick21
yeah ill +1 that one.

i smell a hate thread brewing!
^lol
My Gear
Edwards E-LP-98LTC
Ibanez RG 321 MH
Jackson DK2M with tonezone
Mesa Mark III
Tech 21 Trademark 10
If your strings keep pinging all over the place, find out whether they're breaking at the bridge or neck end and then inspect all your hardware for little sharp bits and flaws that might catch on the string and eventually make it snap. Also lubricate the bridge and nut- a little bit of vaseline with graphite powder (pencil lead) rubbed on each saddle works great.

As for strings, go for 11s on an SG unless you play lots of bends, in which case 10s are fine.
Ok 1st.. it broke at the end of the neck..
2nd.. I know how to tune a guitar with and without the tuner but im just learning without the tuner..
3rd.. Its an Gibson Epiphone SG special model.. Gibson bought out epiphone in the late 1950s.. (Relating the to question above asking if it was a gibson or an epiphone)

Thanks for the post that were useful( kyle62 & Opethfan1 )

I'm taking it to the music store and gonna see if they can tell me something.. and getting new strings.. going to try kyle65's advice and getting 10s.. going to look into Opethfan1's advice on a bridge adjustment.. never did or heard of it so thats why im taking it to the music store..

I play for my church (Non-dominational) and try not to corrupt their minds to much.. trying to start a band with my friends.. We play mainly rock at the church tho.. This year im going to try to get into Powerchordacademy in texas.. I'm 16 and playing in-front of 100+ ppl every sunday.. on the way the Powerchordacademy.. Has played til fingers bleed.. So to all Rude post.. Do you really think your post has done anything to help me at all? If you don't wanna help me and just be rude then please just don't post.. Thanks.. I'd really appreciate it..
Why dont you use relative tuning....

at least thats what i think its called... where you play E on 5th fret, etc etc
Jeff Buckley

R.I.P
Quote by Soah
Ok 1st.. it broke at the end of the neck..
2nd.. I know how to tune a guitar with and without the tuner but im just learning without the tuner..
3rd.. Its an Gibson Epiphone SG special model.. Gibson bought out epiphone in the late 1950s.. (Relating the to question above asking if it was a gibson or an epiphone)

Thanks for the post that were useful( kyle62 & Opethfan1 )

I'm taking it to the music store and gonna see if they can tell me something.. and getting new strings.. going to try kyle65's advice and getting 10s.. going to look into Opethfan1's advice on a bridge adjustment.. never did or heard of it so thats why im taking it to the music store..

I play for my church (Non-dominational) and try not to corrupt their minds to much.. trying to start a band with my friends.. We play mainly rock at the church tho.. This year im going to try to get into Powerchordacademy in texas.. I'm 16 and playing in-front of 100+ ppl every sunday.. on the way the Powerchordacademy.. Has played til fingers bleed.. So to all Rude post.. Do you really think your post has done anything to help me at all? If you don't wanna help me and just be rude then please just don't post.. Thanks.. I'd really appreciate it..

Thats just fantastic! But tell me... How do you play a show with your friends if you can't tune? Wouldn't it sound all dissonant and... well... out of tune?
No i don't use that guitar.. I use theirs guitars.. and idk .. It clearly say Gibson on the guitar.. SG Special model.. and also clearly says Epiphone.. want me to take a picture?
and also i dont play with my friends... i play with their band.. I play as an inspiration to all the other kids showing them they can do anything they set their mind to..
Quote by Soah
No i don't use that guitar.. I use theirs guitars.. and idk .. It clearly say Gibson on the guitar.. SG Special model.. and also clearly says Epiphone.. want me to take a picture?
and also i dont play with my friends... i play with their band.. I play as an inspiration to all the other kids showing them they can do anything they set their mind to..

If your doing it for the sake of God stick with it. Theres a bunch of musicians that aren't going to make it. If you know what I mean.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Quote by Soah

Firstly, its an Epiphone. Epiphone is a subsidiary of Gibson, but they are 2 different brands. The Gibson logo on the headstock is just a selling point. Its like BMW putting their logo on Minis.
Secondly, if you want to be an inspiration to anyone, learn to tune your guitar. Imagine a string slips and goes out of tune during a show, and you can't tune it. You think they're gonna be inspired?
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by Scream And Fly
Learn to tune your guitar without a tuner. Jeez.

Even most pros use tuners, unless you have perfect pitch it's damn near impossible to tune it accurately without a tuner or a reference source.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Even most pros use tuners, unless you have perfect pitch it's damn near impossible to tune it accurately without a tuner or a reference source.

Its really not that hard once you've been playing for a while.
Quote by Ichimaru
Firstly, its an Epiphone. Epiphone is a subsidiary of Gibson, but they are 2 different brands. The Gibson logo on the headstock is just a selling point. Its like BMW putting their logo on Minis.
Secondly, if you want to be an inspiration to anyone, learn to tune your guitar. Imagine a string slips and goes out of tune during a show, and you can't tune it. You think they're gonna be inspired?

Again.. I can tune a guitar.. With and without a tuner.. I'm just learning without one.. and if that were to happen.. Thats exactly why im going to Powerchordacademy.. http://www.powerchordacademy.com/newSite/index.cfm
check it out..
Quote by Kid_Thorazine

i dont seem to have much trouble doing it...and I dont think I have perfect pitch
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
Quote by Kid_Thorazine

Most pros use them because it's silent, you can't stand and tune by ear blasting hundreds of dB out on an arena. But I've seen a lot of guys playing a song and all of a sudden tug one of the tuners because they're hearing that string isn't quite in tune. Then they keep playing.

Secondly, tuners haven't been around that long. How do you think a symphonic orchestra in the 18th century tuned their instruments? It's NOT hard to do, it's just about learning what to listen for and training your ear.

Using harmonic tuning I can have a good set up guitar perfectly tuned in one or two minutes. You just listen for the dissonance between two notes even out and become at the same frequency, i.e. stop warbling and lay still. It's very methodical and has nothing to do with being musical or having perfect pitch.

Technology is simply turning guitarists into lazy bastards. Don't even get me started on the decrease in musicality that GuitarPro is responsible for...
Quote by Aziraphale
Most pros use them because it's silent, you can't stand and tune by ear blasting hundreds of dB out on an arena. But I've seen a lot of guys playing a song and all of a sudden tug one of the tuners because they're hearing that string isn't quite in tune. Then they keep playing.

Secondly, tuners haven't been around that long. How do you think a symphonic orchestra in the 18th century tuned their instruments? It's NOT hard to do, it's just about learning what to listen for and training your ear.

Using harmonic tuning I can have a good set up guitar perfectly tuned in one or two minutes. You just listen for the dissonance between two notes even out and become at the same frequency, i.e. stop warbling and lay still. It's very methodical and has nothing to do with being musical or having perfect pitch.

Technology is simply turning guitarists into lazy bastards. Don't even get me started on the decrease in musicality that GuitarPro is responsible for...

oh yeah damn near anyones who's played for a while should be able to tune realative to their own instrument, the problem arises when one of the notes has to already be tuned to E or whatever, in the 1700s they used tuning forks, pitch pipes or organs for this, which is a real pain in the ass compared to a tuner.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
oh yeah damn near anyones who's played for a while should be able to tune realative to their own instrument, the problem arises when one of the notes has to already be tuned to E or whatever, in the 1700s they used tuning forks, pitch pipes or organs for this, which is a real pain in the ass compared to a tuner.

Well, my drummer took out the pitch of a pizzeria fork by using a small pitch fork that he always carries. He was 17 at the time. He doesn't have perfect pitch, he just likes to play music and trains his ear by doing it.

A pitch fork is even more portable than a digital tuner. If you tune one guitar with a pitch fork you can tune another guitar and the bass from that, in case you don't have keyboardist.

Anyway, I'm not sayin using a tuner is immoral or n00bish, I'm just saying don't be lazy and handicap yourself. A good ear is more valuable than any 32nd-note-alt-picked run repertoire. There are only benefits to get from training it.

The forks at Amore Pizza & Kebab in Leksand are tuned to A btw, just a tad flat.