I've got a small amp made by a brand called legend, and its got a button labeled 'overdrive' with a gain knob next to it. I've also got guitar pro 5 on my pc which has distortion guitar ad overdrive guitar.

Is there a difference? Would my guitar sound different if I were to use a distortion pedal instead of the overdrive built into the amp?
your overdrive is gonna simmulate an overdriven tube, as in a tube amp and distortion is a distorted signal. i mix a little of both in my board but its all a matter of preferance
Im gonna pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans !!!!
Quote by disillusia
i think overdrive is what u hear from jimi hendrix and distortion is from slipknot.

Worst explanation I've ever heard...

..and yet pretty much spot on, I salute you sir.
Overdrive is warmer and less intense. Distortion tends to be fizzier and more intense.

Personally, I prefer to use an OD cascading into another to get a heavy sound, but you're better off upgraing your amp before you buy any pedals- it's a pile of poo.
A good OD/Dist pedal would sound a lot better than the built in distortion on your amp. However a good pedal would also cost about three times what the amp's worth so I wouldn't bother. Unless of course you mean the rather rare Legend amps like this.

To clear things up, Overdrive is an effect simulating the way a valve amp breaks up when running at high power.
Distortion is a less natural and usually harsher increase of gain usually produced by diode clipping. Overdrive tends to be smoother and warmer whilst distortion is harsher and can provide much more gain.

Most popular pedals fit somewhere into the big grey area inbetween...
OK thanks for this info

While on the subject of an new amp, am I better off buying a new guitar (i've got a strat copy made by a brand called Vintage) or a new amp (ive got a practice amp made by a company called Legend)?

edit: ive actually got no money so ive got ages to decide
OK

I saw a cool video on an amp called the roland cube 60 or something similar. Opinions? I've got ages before I even get the cash, let alone buy anything
Quote by Silky Smooth
Their nice

The best of the SS modeling amps IMO especially the 60!

Will they work for every location (practise and live in small venues)? And if I wanted to could I put a bass into it, and does the amp have distortion/overdrive?
Quote by kenan6346
Will they work for every location (practise and live in small venues)? And if I wanted to could I put a bass into it, and does the amp have distortion/overdrive?

Yup.

NO. Never run a bass through a guitar amp, it's too risky as it may blow the speakers.

It has distortion, and a simulated marshall sound that could be classed as overdrive. Just play around with it and get the sounds you like.
Quote by AAAAAAAAAARGH
Yup.

NO. Never run a bass through a guitar amp, it's too risky as it may blow the speakers.

It has distortion, and a simulated marshall sound that could be classed as overdrive. Just play around with it and get the sounds you like.

OK thanks

Umm, I don't have a bass yet, but I want to get one, and if I got a bass and a decent bass amp, would I be able to plug my guitar into the bass amp and receive the same effect as a normal amp? Do bass amps have distortion/overdrive?
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
bass amps with a guitar give a really trebly sound and its all up to personal preference whether you like it or not. But basses through a guitar amp will blow the speaker, so don't do that.
Quote by bi-ah!

good freakin ability mate

Quote by Grimpenguin
bass amps with a guitar give a really trebly sound and its all up to personal preference whether you like it or not. But basses through a guitar amp will blow the speaker, so don't do that.

ok thanks, looks like ill have to get both if i want to play bass

Quote by Silky Smooth
Yeah the 60s good for just about anything home use and gigs

thanks for that, i'll have to see if any stores have them so i can try them, ive only seen a vid on youtube abouut it