So i have to build something that will hold an egg and keep it from breaking after a twp story fall. The catch is, it has to be as light a possible. more weight = lower grade.

Any Ideas Pit?
/SG/
"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming."
Spikes?
Quote by Vermintide
I love getting hit in the balls.

Sometimes, I masturbate while imagining my girlfriend is ramming her knee up into my precious orbs. It turns me on so much.

Actually, that's not true. I don't have a girlfriend
I used cotton. Lots. Of. Cotton.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
We did this and we were given 2 foam cups and 3 toothpics. Needless to say I was one of the 3 people in the class who's didn't break. Basically what I did was I cut the top off of one cup (so that it would slide into the other one, used an x brace pattern with the toothpics in the bottom of the cup to cushion the fall, put the egg in and then put the other cup over the top. I made sure to have the weight at the bottom so it wouldn't fall out. This was probably just luck so if you can use more i encourage you to. This + some cotton and maybe some more toothpicks would probably do pretty well.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
I would think its pretty obvious. take egg carton style foam and wrap a few layers around. its ridiculously light and will absorb most if not all of the impact easily. this is best if you dont have a limit on your dimensions.
I love my...

Parker Nitefly Mojo - custom
Schecter 006 Hellraiser
Ibanez S470QS

Mesa / Boogie F-50
Vox AD50VT

Seagull Artist Studio cutaway I-beam

Ibanez ATK700
Ibanez Soundwave 35
That peanut butter thing is brilliant.
I suggest you wrap your egg in paper. Because paper is lightweight.
Quote by moomoocons
So i have to build something that will hold an egg and keep it from breaking after a twp story fall. The catch is, it has to be as light a possible. more weight = lower grade.

Any Ideas Pit?
What about SIZE.

Low weight, but large volume would be great.

A thin corrugated or stiff cardboard cube for the outer container would be good, I think or maybe thin styrofoam sheets. Whatever is right next to the egg should be soft, but going from there to the outside, think: crumple-zone. Like they do when designing cars.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
now while I'm thinking about it... you could cut and craft a parachute out of a prastic bag that would really help a lot and weigh next to nothing... but i'm assuming that isnt allowed.
I love my...

Parker Nitefly Mojo - custom
Schecter 006 Hellraiser
Ibanez S470QS

Mesa / Boogie F-50
Vox AD50VT

Seagull Artist Studio cutaway I-beam

Ibanez ATK700
Ibanez Soundwave 35
The ONLY rule is light weight. no size or material restrictions
/SG/
soak it in vinegar for a couple of days

EDIT: i was being serious it makes it like a bouncy ball it will just bounce,,, or splatter maybe
Last edited by bowdyyz69 at Mar 8, 2008,
Quote by moomoocons
The ONLY rule is light weight. no size or material restrictions

rub Icy Hot on it?

But really, the parachute idea sounds good. That, along with a sturdy container filled with cotton balls would work pretty well I'd imagine.
Rig

Jackson DK2M -> ISP Decimator -> Peavey 6505 Combo
Quote by x_themetalfan_x
...rub Icy Hot on it?
Quote by bowdyyz69
soak it in vinegar for a couple of days

"Rub Icy Hot on it." has tagged out. "Soak it in vinegar." is in.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Oh boy, now we can tell all the kids who think UG is a doctor to "soak it in vinegar".

I envision angry parents.
Rig

Jackson DK2M -> ISP Decimator -> Peavey 6505 Combo
Thanks for all the help in the serious replies. and thanks for the laughs in the not serious ones. any more ideas?
/SG/
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

"Rub Icy Hot on it." has tagged out. "Soak it in vinegar." is in.

I second that motion!
D:
Signature.
Quote by Atomic48
I second that motion!

have i jst created some kind of monster, i hope so
couldn't you stick the egg in a balloon, inside another balloon, inside another balloon, inside another balloon, inside another balloon, inside another balloon, inside another balloon, inside another balloon, inside another balloon, inside another balloon, inside another balloon, inside another balloon, inside another balloon, inside another balloon, inside another balloon?

that would be REALLY light, and itd be a lot of cushioning.
Quote by DaStrat0blast3r
couldn't you stick the egg in a balloon, inside another balloon, inside another balloon, inside another balloon, inside another balloon, inside another balloon, inside another balloon, inside another balloon, inside another balloon, inside another balloon, inside another balloon, inside another balloon, inside another balloon, inside another balloon, inside another balloon?

that would be REALLY light, and itd be a lot of cushioning.

dude you just gave me the raddest idea get a ballon and fill it with helium so it is just a bit heavier than air u'll ace it fo sho
Do you get extra credit for the device + egg weighing less than the egg by itself?

Egg + sticky tape + 200 helium balloons = WIN
Quote by slappymoe66
What would I say to the doctor "I got a bad case of tight balls" ? no dice nublet pie
Quote by TreeFiddy
Do you get extra credit for the device + egg weighing less than the egg by itself?

Egg + sticky tape + 200 helium balloons = WIN
1 - It doesn't weigh less than the egg it self. It weighs less than the air it displaces.

2 - The container has to hit the ground from 2 stories up, without the egg breaking.

3 - That won't hit the ground, it will just float away.
Quote by bowdyyz69
dude you just gave me the raddest idea get a ballon and fill it with helium so it is just a bit heavier than air u'll ace it fo sho
Nice!
It will take a looooong time to get to the ground, but the impact will be gentle.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by clement1
watch mythbusters, they done the exact same thing.

Watch mythbuthters? I can't even say mythbuthters!
Every time I try, it thounds like I have a lithp.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Coat in cotton and plastic bag parachute sounds a good idea.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
PARACHUTE

I remember when i did it when i was at school, i failed miserably since i threw my egg at someone, but the winning team had it in a chamber that broke into pieces when it hit the ground, but the egg survived. So maybe they were onto something, maybe that's how planes a designed
get a big sponge, cut a slit in it, push the egg through to the middle, add loose layers of newspaper, then duct tape it up
have your cat swallow it. then tape a piece of buttered toast to the back of the cat.

physics accomplished.
I have no opinion on this matter.
If the only restriction is weight, then tape a very long piece of string to it, lower it to within a couple of inches of the ground, then drop.
/mythbusters idea theft
CRUMPLE ZONES.

Get some bubble wap, and wrap the egg in it; then put that in some kind of small light case. (Aerosol lid works well.). Then encase that with some form of crumple-able metal. Modifying a Coke can is a good idea.

The metal will absorb the force as it crushes, leaving the egg intact. Also, have some fins so it falls vertically onto the crumple-zone.

(I do this for fun when I'm bored..... )
Last edited by Vermintide at Mar 8, 2008,
Just get a random cup, really light container. Polystyrene would be good.

Fit the egg in it, and then put a few holes in the top of the cup and attach helium balloons until it floats down very gently. The cup is to prevent any accidental crackage from a bad landing or the egg falling off. And if the balloons are opposite to each other and in pairs, it'd be nice and balanced and not fall out even in a gust of wind.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.