There's been heaps and heaps of threads on computer help, so lets consolidate it here. If you need help, post away. I probably won't be able to help you for everything though.

Hmm... If this doesn't get closed like all the other threads I post in, I actually do need help.

So I'm on this old laptop now, because my main PC isn't working. What happens is, that I switch it on, it starts up for about 4 seconds and turns off. After that I have to wait like 5 minutes until it does anything again; but the same thing happens. Anybody know what hardware problem that would be? New power supply or something? If it helps... before that happened it frequently gave me electric shocks.

edit: sry for the confusion, but it's the main PC is broken, NOT the laptop.
“If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?”
- Scott Adams

No they don't, and UG is proof...
Last edited by Canne at Mar 7, 2008,
Quote by Canne
Hmm... If this doesn't get closed like all the other threads I post in, I actually do need help.

So I'm on this old laptop now, because my main PC isn't working. What happens is, that I switch it on, it starts up for about 4 seconds and turns off. After that I have to wait like 5 minutes until it does anything again; but the same thing happens. Anybody know what hardware problem that would be? New power supply or something? If it helps... before that happened it frequently gave me electric shocks.

I don't know too much about laptops but a new power supply is probably what you need. i don't even know if you can replace the power supplys on laptops but i would assume so... You probably should've got it checked out when it started shocking you.

EDIT: Good thread idea TS I'll check back regulary see if i can help with anything
Quote by Canne

So I'm on this old laptop now, because my main PC isn't working. What happens is, that I switch it on, it starts up for about 4 seconds and turns off. After that I have to wait like 5 minutes until it does anything again; but the same thing happens.

So how are you using it now???
I was saying that my main PC is broken down, and using a secondary laptop right now. The PC is a normal tower machine... sry for the confusion.
“If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?”
- Scott Adams

Oh so it's the PC that's ****ing up. Um **** it could be lack of memory a number of things but if it's shocking you it's most likley the power supply
Yeah, I'd check out the PSU. If you have been running the system with a PSU that doesn't provide enough power to your system, it may have damaged other components too. Best bet here is to take it in to a computer shop for full testing.
Quote by Canne

I really dont know anything about PC's but the same thing happened to my old one, when we had it checked out it was the fan and needed replacing.
Quote by saphrax
Yeah, I'd check out the PSU. If you have been running the system with a PSU that doesn't provide enough power to your system, it may have damaged other components too. Best bet here is to take it in to a computer shop for full testing.

When we bought it we made sure to buy the highest power one we could, because the components we put in need it. So maybe it is that, just hope nothing more is damaged. I think i'll just bring it to a shop and let them check it out...
- Scott Adams

Remove the battery and try with just the power cable. My laptop does this now and again, usually I take out the battery then put it back in and all is well.
Quote by Bendybaws
Remove the battery and try with just the power cable. My laptop does this now and again, usually I take out the battery then put it back in and all is well.

That's what she said
Gear:
2011 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
2012 Tanglewood TW170

Boss Katana 100w 1x112
Line 6 HD500
I am hoping to buy another computer in about a month or so time. I am hoping for one just to put programs on, for mixing and stuff. I probably wont have any internet so yeah. Any cheap ones ya'll can recommend?

has no signature.
Quote by 11223344554433
I am hoping to buy another computer in about a month or so time. I am hoping for one just to put programs on, for mixing and stuff. I probably wont have any internet so yeah. Any cheap ones ya'll can recommend?

you could just get a cheap kind of home/office type computer and get them to put a decent sound card in it?
Canne: Does the PC beep at all? Beeps can indicate what type of problem you have.
I'd still recommend opening it up and making sure you memory and video card etc are all pushed all the way in properly. A simple knock can sometimes dislodge something enough to stop the PC turning on.
Quote by consecutive e
you could just get a cheap kind of home/office type computer and get them to put a decent sound card in it?

I'm a bit not up with the times. What would this sound card do?

has no signature.
Quote by 11223344554433
I'm a bit not up with the times. What would this sound card do?

The sound card controlls all the sound input/output (I/O) functions for your computer. Basically put, the better the sound card, the better quality you will hear and the better quality you can record!
Are there wireless card readers that have their on GPU and can run a bios? The reason I ask is because I am making a laptop Xbox360 and rather than install the network adapter from Microsoft, I'd rather have actual wireless card support. I want to use N network to be perfectly honest. But I will need a card that can perform its functions independently of the GPU, thus it will need to be flashed with the network information. I am wondering if there are slots capable of this?
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Always outnumbered, never outgunned...
Quote by i have to pee
Are there wireless card readers that have their on GPU and can run a bios? The reason I ask is because I am making a laptop Xbox360 and rather than install the network adapter from Microsoft, I'd rather have actual wireless card support. I want to use N network to be perfectly honest. But I will need a card that can perform its functions independently of the GPU, thus it will need to be flashed with the network information. I am wondering if there are slots capable of this?

What? GPU = Graphics Processing Unit. Network cards are completely independant of GPUs in any system. You could just buy the official 360 Wifi adapter. That just uses USB. Your question is very ambiguous though, I'm not sure if I've been of any help!
Quote by saphrax
What? GPU = Graphics Processing Unit. Network cards are completely independant of GPUs in any system. You could just buy the official 360 Wifi adapter. That just uses USB. Your question is very ambiguous though, I'm not sure if I've been of any help!

Meant CPU sorry. It is 5AM here. What I want is to use network cards and I need a card slot with its own CPU, something that will run independently of any other CPU it is connected to. I don't want to use my Wifi adapter, because I want to use one of those wireless broadband cards not a simple network card.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Quote by i have to pee
Meant CPU sorry. It is 5AM here. What I want is to use network cards and I need a card slot with its own CPU, something that will run independently of any other CPU it is connected to. I don't want to use my Wifi adapter, because I want to use one of those wireless broadband cards not a simple network card.

Really, I don't think that what you want can be done. You would have to have a network card run with the main CPU, in order for applications to send commands to the network card to transmit data over the network. I've honestly never heard of an I/O port that runs independantly of the main CPU.
There are network adapters that run independently of the CPU. They have a small version of Linux on them and run without causing any "drain" on the PC. It would only have to transfer the wireless signal to a network adapter.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Quote by i have to pee
There are network adapters that run independently of the CPU. They have a small version of Linux on them and run without causing any "drain" on the PC. It would only have to transfer the wireless signal to a network adapter.

Could you give me a link to one of these so I can check it out? Also, if you draw me some sort of diagram, so I can work out exactly what you want to do, that would help. Something like:

Internet >>> Router >>> XBOX.
http://www.killernic.com/products/default.aspx <- card I was talking about. I want something similar to this. I might just be dreaming though. I've been desoldering / soldering all night. My Xbox360 is completely taken out of its shell and still runs. It is amazing.

Diagram will be Wireless card > wireless adapter slot with CPU > wired into ethernet port > Xbox360 mobo
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Last edited by i have to pee at Mar 7, 2008,
Quote by i have to pee
http://www.killernic.com/products/default.aspx <- card I was talking about. I want something similar to this. I might just be dreaming though. I've been desoldering / soldering all night. My Xbox360 is completely taken out of its shell and still runs. It is amazing.

Nice! I like! Good luck with getting that working on a 360 though. Personally, I think you are a might insane, but damn hardcore! you should put some pics up of broken apart 360 for my idle curiosity!
If I had a camera I would. Luckily all my taking apart and extending the wires to drop in a laptop still function. I can't wait for my LCD monitor to get here so I can put everything together. I get to go looking for Sintra tomorrow to make my case!
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Quote by i have to pee
If I had a camera I would. Luckily all my taking apart and extending the wires to drop in a laptop still function. I can't wait for my LCD monitor to get here so I can put everything together. I get to go looking for Sintra tomorrow to make my case!

Damn, that's going to be a cool thing to have when it's done! I hope you can get enough cooling sorted for it! You HAVE to get pics of the finished thing up somehow, I'd love to see a portable 360! You should somehow dual boot it with Linux as well, then you'd really be rocking!
Quote by saphrax
Damn, that's going to be a cool thing to have when it's done! I hope you can get enough cooling sorted for it! You HAVE to get pics of the finished thing up somehow, I'd love to see a portable 360! You should somehow dual boot it with Linux as well, then you'd really be rocking!

The 360 has been unmoddable so far so I don't know about a dual boot yet. As far as cooling, I will have 3 30x30mm fans in front of the GPU heat sink and 3 35x35mm fans behind it. I am not putting a battery in it so my power supply will be outside, which cuts down a lot of heat. The only concern is I have to make a custom heat sink for the GPU which is about half the width of the original one (to keep it from being 4" thick).

There are 3 or so floating around the web, it is where I got the idea. There is even a guide for it, after reading it I am roughly following it. More of general idea than exact.

There is a much better one out, with a built in Vision camera but I can't find it. I am putting one in and upgrading my HDD to 300gigs.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝