When playing the boxes across the neck in the same key, should you always start and end on the root notes?
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender MIM Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Digitech Bad Monkey
Electro Harmonix Big Muff
Ernie Ball VP Junior 250k
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Only if you want to
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat
Washburn HB35
PRS Santana SE
Yamaha Pacifica 112MX
Vox AD30VT
Fender Champion 600
Dunlop wah
Danelectro Cool Cat fuzz
if that's the way you want to practice but not every box has a root on the low E so.......

i would recommend playing the full shape not nessecarily root to rooot

if you where playng a solo you wouldn't just constantly play root to root.
song stuck in my head today

if your playing infront of a examintation board you would, but i doubt you are, if you are just soloing, improvising or something it doesnt matter do what you want.

And i would advice you not to just play box positions but branch out, becuase if you learning scales now and you can branch out early it will save you so much time in the future.
Feelin the Blues

"The Blues are a simple music and I'm a simple man. But the Blues aren't a science, the Blues can't be broken down like a mathematics. The Blues are a mystery, and mysteries are never as simple as they look" - BB King
Quote by zapparage
When playing the boxes across the neck in the same key, should you always start and end on the root notes?

No.

You should know where they are though. And you should spend time practicing it that way so that you do know where they are, and can hear those notes as the root.

if your making music though..... use your ears.... end on the note that sounds right for the moment. That may or may not be the root. It just depends on the situation, and your own personal judgement.
shred is gaudy music