Hey guys i got around $1000AUD to spend on a guitar. Like i would want to play it in C. Any good suggestions on a good metal guitar. I like stuff like As i lay dying, BTBAM, etc..
Quote by False_God
The real deciding factor is you amp. Which is?

Yeah big piece of the puzzle as well..
The poor guy is Australian which means a RUBBISH Marshall MG15 is going to set him back about $300, so it will be hard to find a decent amp in his price range .

Anyway TS, you should look into getting a better amp before a new guitar. It really is more important.
hahaha lol. Thats not nice saying that i own a Marshall MG thats offending. I actually own a peavey classic 30 at the moment and own a ibanez rg570. if i bought a tubescreamer would it get it to metal territory
Quote by Oc3lot
hahaha lol. Thats not nice saying that i own a Marshall MG thats offending. I actually own a peavey classic 30 at the moment and own a ibanez rg570. if i bought a tubescreamer would it get it to metal territory

You shouldn't really be offended - it just isn't a very good amp.

Anyway, gain-wise you might get it to some sort of metal with a tubescreamer, but I believe it's voiced more for like classic rock and hard rock.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
I dont think you will get metal territory with a tubescreamer. Maybe classic metal.
Metal muff would be better imo.

As for a guitar, any personaly preference as to shape etc.?
Well i like the horizons for Esp is there an ltd version for horizons. I like those shapes. I also like the Esp ec's shape like a gibson there alright. How are Esp's like for playing cause like im use to playing on a flat, fast neck from ibanez. One thing i dont like is the feel of a strat.
Well, look at these

LTD MH400
LTD EC400

They have a much thicker neck profile. ALong the lines of an Epi. But they are great guitars like.
yea, when looking at metal, you wann consider your amps and effects more. you might wanna consider a line 6. they're pretty decent when it comes to metal amps, i dont know which one i tried but it was pretty ace. and get some nice overdrive and crunch pedals, and get a noise supressor of some sort.
if youere into shred metal, then an ibanex would be a good idea, but your probably looking for something in trash or death metal, so maybe a dean or a B.C rich "stealth".
Quote by sweet_revenge_5
yea, when looking at metal, you consider your amps and effects more. you might wanna consider a line 6. they're pretty decent when it comes to metal amps, i dont know which one i tried but it was pretty ace. and get some nice overdrive and crunch pedals, and get a noise supressor of some sort.
if youere into shred metal, then an ibanex would be a good idea, but your probably looking for something in trash or death metal, so maybe a dean or a B.C rich "stealth".

A. Spelling please
B. Line 6!? B.C RICH!? you obviously haven't hear alot of metal amps and guitars have you!

A classic 30 is not really voiced for what you are going to be playing, and even if you drive it with something like a Metal muff, it still will sound brittle. Now you do live in australia which makes things very, very, complicated. Perhaps you could try to sell the classic 30 and snag a peavey XXX or a 6505. Those amps are much better voiced for metal. Amps contribute alot more to the tone than the guitar, despite what you may think. Get a new amp.
I know i know, ill get a metal amp later down the track , i like my peavey classic 30. But im asking for guitars specifically. I know what my amp is capable of. And recommending a line 6 :S.
Quote by Oc3lot
Hey guys i got around $1000AUD to spend on a guitar. Like i would want to play it in C. Any good suggestions on a good metal guitar. I like stuff like As i lay dying, BTBAM, etc..

anything with the letters E S P in it. the ec-1000's are super nice, you can pick em up used pretty cheap too.
you could probably get ltd's second hand with 1k, are scheters any good?
Quote by Oc3lot
you could probably get ltd's second hand with 1k, are scheters any good?

Schecters are very good, all of the ones I have tried have been good. The Classic, Hellraiser, C-1+, Elite, Omen 6, Blackjack, all of them are good. ESP are also a good choice to consider to.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
i had a schecter hellraiser fr goin for $900 aud but its sold. look for used schecters, jacksons or esp's. I just got myself a brand new jackson rr3 from ebay from america for $800aud shipped.

if ur not afraid of getting ur guitar shipped from overseas then maybe u could try what i did.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Yeah definitely look into Schecter. Probably some of the best "bang for your buck" guitars out there.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Look at Jackson the best guitars for metal by far and for $1000 you can get any Jackson except there USA models

.....\,========================]
...../ ..---.........................-----.............|]
..../_==o;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;-------.:/
....), ...(_(_) ..../
...// (..) ), ------"
..//......//
.//......//
//......//
Last edited by stussy<>punk at Mar 8, 2008,
Quote by Highwaytohell
A. Spelling please
B. Line 6!? B.C RICH!? you obviously haven't hear alot of metal amps and guitars have you!

A classic 30 is not really voiced for what you are going to be playing, and even if you drive it with something like a Metal muff, it still will sound brittle. Now you do live in australia which makes things very, very, complicated. Perhaps you could try to sell the classic 30 and snag a peavey XXX or a 6505. Those amps are much better voiced for metal. Amps contribute alot more to the tone than the guitar, despite what you may think. Get a new amp.

+1.

Today, I played my friends Samick , which is made out of plywood, through my 6505 and it sounded pretty damn good. I was quite astonished.
Quote by Oc3lot
I live in Melbourne , Vic

Well if you live anywhere near north Fitzroy you should go to Mannys
They've got a pretty good range of esp/ltd and deans.

http://www.mannys.com.au/

.....\,========================]
...../ ..---.........................-----.............|]
..../_==o;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;-------.:/
....), ...(_(_) ..../
...// (..) ), ------"
..//......//
.//......//
//......//
their different brands.

Ltd is like a budget version of ESP's

like Epiphone to Gibsons or Squier to Fender.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
i know there different but is there a big difference in quality both are made in Korea yeah?
ye their both made in korea, both are good quality as long as u get ltd's over the 400 model mark e.g ec-400.

the ltd's have a thinner neck than the schecters so try them out before you buy.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Alright guys im really liking the LTD H-1000 w/Duncans. for $1500 from a store what do u guys think?
Quote by Highwaytohell
A. Spelling please

yea youre right about the amp, a 6505 is a much better idea,
but I don't think theres anything wrong with a B.C Rich, depending on what model you get. if he says he wants to play death and metalcore stuff in drop C, then that might work, and if you're strongly against one, get an ibanez with some EMG pickups.
hey i bought the ltd h-1000 suburst flamed maple top its look really nice. What gauge strings should i use?
look at a charvel model 6 best guitar for the money.
edit: dam you already got a guitar.
My Gear
Edwards E-LP-98LTC
Ibanez RG 321 MH
Jackson DK2M with tonezone
Mesa Mark III
Tech 21 Trademark 10
hey im getting 12s-56 i think apparently if they are thin they play like rubber