ok i just found out about fret wear a while ago, i've had my schecter damien 7 with 11 to 58's for a month or two, and on the 2nd fret it looks a little flat. should i worry about fret wear? also i really dont know where i can get my frets fixed/replaced where i live. im kinda frekin out plus how much will it cost???
you probably don't need a complete refret. If you're really worried about it, you can have the frets dressed, which is basically just rounding the tops again and leveling any high spots. It's a lot cheaper than a refret, probably around $50, and most competent techs can do it easily. If you ask your local shop, they probably have or know someone that can do basic setups and fret dressing. A complete refret can get very expensive, and it's unlikely you need it, unless the guitar is quite old, and it's been played extensively. Finding someone that can do a full refret, and you trust, is quite a bit harder.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I don't know, it probably varies shop to shop what their policies are. I wouldn't worry about it with a simple fret dress however. They use small files meant for filing frets, and they usually just make the flattened parts rounded again, and bring everything level. If you are talking about a full refret, I'm sure there is much more chance of damage to the board. That's why you have to find a luthier that's experienced and you trust. I have a friend that pays about $500 on every new strat he gets, just to send the necks out to Florida to have a well respected luthier there do a refret job. He prefers a certain size SS fret, so he has it done on all his guitars, and only trusts this guy.

BTW, what kind of strings are you using? I would probably use nickel wound/plated at least, since they won't wear your frets as fast. A little flattening is fine too, happens on every guitar, I wouldn't worry unless it's actually affecting something in the sound or your playing.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Mar 7, 2008,
If you aren't having buzzing issues or dead spots, then you really shouldn't worry about it at the moment.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
you don't need redressing unless you start having dead notes (make sure it's not a technique problem though) or buzzing (make sure your action and neck relief aren't too low first) for good guitars you should only need it like every five years if you play a lot, unless you have very small frets or really low action.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I've had recrowning job done on one of my guitars, it's not that big of a deal. And you where asking if they have to pay for the guitar if they screw up the fretboard the answer is no, unless the neck and fretboard are on piece (pretty rare) all they would have to do is replace the fretboard.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
I've had recrowning job done on one of my guitars, it's not that big of a deal. And you where asking if they have to pay for the guitar if they screw up the fretboard the answer is no, unless the neck and fretboard are on piece (pretty rare) all they would have to do is replace the fretboard.

how long have you had the guitar and how much do u play it a day
also on some guitars can the fret board come off? if they screw up a guitar that has a removable fret board do they pay for the new fret board? and in the fret board has special inlays like my damien 7 will the new board have the same cool inlays? sorry for all the questions im just paranoid about my guitars, i had to save up my money for a while for them. i love them
All guitar fretboards glued with hide glue can be remove. Also, there is no way in hell you would need a refret after 2 months. I played the same axe with 11s for 2 years a good solid hour or two a day, and it still doesn't need a refret. It's the sort of thing you get done maybe 10-15 years into ownership.
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
that guitar I got used and the frets where already in bad shape, i played it for about a year before getting the work done, I use ernie ball power slinkies and play like 2-3 hours a day.

and yes, on most guitars you can replace the fretboard, as for the inlays you can probably have a certified schecter repair place order a fretboard identical to yours if you ever needed it.

Last.fm
thanks everyone,like i said im really paranoid about my babys(in a non-gay way).
all i wanted to know is if they damage my guitar at all that they would pay for it or fix it. also if they do damage the fret board can i call and order the same fret board from schecter.com something, how can i get the same fret board? this is my last question btw.
companies usually don't sell stuff like that to people, you would probably have to take it to an authorized schecter repair place to get one, and they would order and install it. But chances are you'll never need it.

Last.fm
what happens is that they certify certain shops to do warranty repairs, and they only sell replacement parts to those shops. so yo would need to take it to one.

Last.fm