Just how versatile is an electric guitar? I am a beginner player. I have very limited experience with both an acoustic and electric. Sure I would love the ability to play along to my favorite songs as well as creating slow (acoustic type) songs to play for my significant other, but that's where I'm lost.

I plan on getting a guitar this next week, but I don't know which to choose. I'm aware that you can basically do a lot more with an electric, as well as how it is easier to start on an acoustic. I just wanted to know from experienced players if you could perhaps play a good amount of slower, sing-along type songs from an electric guitar as well.
sure you can...just dont add any distortion through ur amp and u can get a crisp, clean sound perfect for slower songs
It's really up to you what kind of guitar you choose. I personally started on an acoustic, and it definitely influenced the way I play electric now. You can play just about anything you want on either guitar, and if you really want that acoustic sound for "sing-along" type songs and you chose to buy an electric, you can always get a pedal that will make your guitar sound "acousticky." Also, it's actually easier to start on an electric, since the strings are easier to push down.

Bottom line: I started on an acoustic, and now play both, and wouldn't have it any other way, but it's really up to you. What type of music (besides sing-alongs) would you be playing?
Listen to a lot of music to hear what the electric guitar can do. Go to the Band & Artists forums to get recommendations for each genre, then put this into Google:

intitle:index.of mp3 Led Zeppelin

if you're looking for Led Zeppelin, for example. Also search around on Youtube.
Electric guitars are definitely more versatile in being able to do different effects, and music styles.

However, although you can get an acoustic pedal to make an electric guitar sound like an acoustic, nothing beats an actual acoustic for when you need that particular sound.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Thanks for the feedback so far guys. =)

I really have a deep feel for music and I listen to a lot of everything. Led Zeppelin, Linkin Park, Guns N'Roses, Metallica, Bob Marley, Lifehouse, Three Days Grace, Pearl Jam, Aerosmith, Avenged Sevenfold, the list goes on.

That is why I look at the general 'playability' of an electric and my choice kinda sways in that direction. And if I just pitch in some extra and get an acoustic pedal like Hakael said, then I'm guessing I should just go for an electric?

Also, one last question; I've seen tons of these little starter packs floating around at Sam Ash and SoundAdvice stores, but are they any good? Those packs that come with the guitar, picks, an amp, cable, strap and a carrying case for around $200-$250 or so. Or should I just purchase everything by themselves?
The starter packs are generally crap. It would be much better to get, say, a Yamaha Pacifica 112 and Roland Cube or Vox Valvetronix.

For the bands you mention, though, if you can stretch to an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, that would be better for those styles than the Yamaha. But don't go below the Standard! The Epiphone Special II, LP100 and Les Paul Studio models are not worth buying imo.
+1 to blue_strat

Also, if you can't stretch to the Les Paul Standard, look at the Epiphone G-400; It's about $100 cheaper, and still much, much better quality than the starter packs, and is also well suited to your music style. As with the Les Paul though, don't go below the G-400, the SG Special, and SG G-310 are much lower quality. There are a couple of Schecter guitars in that price range that are also very nice guitars.
I've looked around for the most part and I came across the Ibanez GRX20. I've checked out the reviews on this site and it seems that a substantial amount of people love it. Goes for $149.99 at my local guitar shop; very affordable for the results you seem to be getting from it. I think I'll pick this up tomorrow, because it has also gained a ton of love from other sites as well.

Here is the link:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/electric_guitars/ibanez/grx20/index.html

Thank you guys for your help. It is very much appreciated! ^^