quick one

anyone know ithe pros and cons of a cylindrical, spherical shaped underwater submarine and the pros and cons of a sharp angled (usually older subs) submarine and the prios and cons of the the in betweens, like a sharp agnled sub with a rounded side or bottom.

thanks much
Distribution of stresses, you'd get stress concentrations at the edges, no edges no stress concentrations
Quote by Magero
.....was....was that a serious response in the pit?
OH SHI-

...emmmm...I mean I do you mum TS. Did I get away with it?
They are both long tubes filled with seamen. I don't want any part of that. I'm staying topside where I can see the sunshine.
Quote by n2dabloo
They are both long tubes filled with seamen. I don't want any part of that. I'm staying topside where I can see the sunshine.

Submarine warfare is really interesting actually. The amount of though that has to go into submarine combat is immense. I honestly think that it is the hardest form of combat on the planet. There are so many limitations, so many things to consider. Hell, even surfacing to get your newest commands can end up being deadly.
so it's better to have a round, smooth, spherical shape instead? i thought it would be a bit better to have angles?
You gotta remember that passive sonar works on noise generated by movement in the water. A smooth hull allows you to move through the water without pushing it out in many different directions to create too much noise.

Edit: So yes
but from what it seems, its much harder to build a perfectly eual cylindrical and spherical sub right?
lol......... i gotta bug you some more sorry lol but.............. how much harder is it to build.
A lot of effort also goes in to hiding the noise from the propellers, which can make them pretty obvious on sonar. Some of the more advanced American nuclear subs are nearly impossible to find, if they don't want to be found.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
try reading some Tom Clancy novels- a lot of them have to do with sub combat, and it's amazing what some of that is like! Some good ones are:

The Hunt For Red October
Red Storm Rising

There's a lot more but I can't think of them right now.
Peace n' love
I understand about indecision, but I don't care if I get behind. People living in competition, all I want is to have my peace of mind- Boston

CLASS OF 2008!!!!!!!

Member of UG's Christian Guitarists
Quote by Jaypack44
try reading some Tom Clancy novels- a lot of them have to do with sub combat, and it's amazing what some of that is like! Some good ones are:

The Hunt For Red October
Red Storm Rising

That's pretty much where all my submarine warfare knowledge comes from too...!

Tom Clancey FTW!
Quote by Jaypack44

The Hunt For Red October
Red Storm Rising

I'm pretty certain there's a disclaimer not often read, in his novels, which says it's all BS he made up.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
Quote by Mongoose87
I'm pretty certain there's a disclaimer not often read, in his novels, which says it's all BS he made up.

nah, he wrote a book a non-fiction on submarine tactics. Most of the tactics are right. Whether the Russians had Sean Connery or not is up for debate.

Red Storm rising is very close. Especially the ASW tactics. I guess the only fault is he moves the story along quicker. Most submarine warfare is more tedious than his books would imply.
Last edited by DaveGilmour1189 at Mar 7, 2008,
Quote by DaveGilmour1189
nah, he wrote a book a non-fiction on submarine tactics. Most of the tactics are right. Whether the Russians had Sean Connery or not is up for debate.

Red Storm rising is very close. Especially the ASW tactics. I guess the only fault is he moves the story along quicker. Most submarine warfare is more tedious than his books would imply.

Now that I think about it, I'm thinking of the stuff he wrote about making nukes in The Sum of All Fears.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
Quote by Mongoose87
Now that I think about it, I'm thinking of the stuff he wrote about making nukes in The Sum of All Fears.

ahh now that is bull****. If you could make a dirty nuclear bomb using basic tools in a shack in the middle of the desert, i think 4chan would have figured it out by now.