I may have asked something similar before, but I want to be 100% sure, and I have a few more questions.

So, intend on buying peavey windsor + 2x12 cab. Windsor head is 100W, cab is 120W.

Links: Head and Cab

What I'm asking is:
1) Is the windsor definitely 100W? Some places, such as the UK peavey site, say its 120W, but the US site and the place I'll get the head from say 100W, so I'm really confused.

2) Just to be 100% safe, if it is 100W, theoretically it should be fine with the cab even at full volume.

3) If the cab is 16ohms, do I set the amp to 16ohms and plug both speaker cables into the cab?

4) Know a good Fuzz pedal similar to the fuzz face that runs on an adapter (NOT batteries) that is relatively cheap, but good quality?

5) And changing the tubes on the amp when they need replacing is generally safe, right? Would the 300V be a problem when changing any of the tubes?

Thanks a lot.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
the windsor is 120w...but if the cab can handle 120w also is nothing to worry about...cause lets be honest, you will never in your life crank a 120w amp...

about the fuzz...you can get one of those nice BYOC fuzz

and i forgot what else you asked...sorry
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
It's annoying there's no 50w head or something :P.

So the cab'll be fine then...
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
50W isn't really any quieter than 100w (or 120W for that matter). you'll probably never have to put past half volume. these mother****ers are loud, just like any halfstack. if you are only running one cab, then only one speaker cable is required. make sure you set both the head and the cab to the same impedence.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Quote by psychokiller99
if you are only running one cab, then only one speaker cable is required. make sure you set both the head and the cab to the same impedence.

So, one cable from the head to the cab, so the other jack is unused?
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
yup
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
Quote by Simsimius
So, one cable from the head to the cab, so the other jack is unused?

yes, the other jack is if you are running stereo or if you are using two cabs i believe. i looked on the website right now and it looks like the windsor cab is a mono cab, so yeah only one cable from head to cab. like i said, make sure you match the impedence.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
hes not getting the windsor cab.
Wait, with the windsor head should I set the cab I'm getting to mono (it's switchable)?
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
yeah, he's getting the HB 2x12. It's 8ohm mono, switchable to 16ohm for each of the stereo jacks. Since the Windsor is not a true stereo head, you should be running the cab mono at 8ohm, using one cable to connect to the windsor. The impedance selector on the windsor head should be set to 8ohm using this cab.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
4) Know a good Fuzz pedal similar to the fuzz face that runs on an adapter (NOT batteries) that is relatively cheap, but good quality?

I suggest one of those fuzz pedals Jimi Hendrix has his name on. Haha, although I think thats just light fuzz..
Quote by CoreysMonster
Ebay Help > asking a dog for help > The Pit

Quote by brady12345
dude, you have a camera, go kick some people in the nuts and run
Quote by Erock503
yeah, he's getting the HB 2x12. It's 8ohm mono, switchable to 16ohm for each of the stereo jacks. Since the Windsor is not a true stereo head, you should be running the cab mono at 8ohm, using one cable to connect to the windsor. The impedance selector on the windsor head should be set to 8ohm using this cab.

Ah. That's cleared it up. So, windsor @ 8ohms, ONE cable using ONE jack connects to cab running at 8ohms MONO.

And that's all there is then.

And just one more thing, what about the tube question. I can't find anywhere that specifically answers it.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius
Ah. That's cleared it up. So, windsor @ 8ohms, ONE cable using ONE jack connects to cab running at 8ohms MONO.

And that's all there is then.

correct. The Windsor is not a stereo amp, therefore the 2 speaker output jacks on the back are wired in parallel. ie. if you used 2 seperate 16ohm cabs, with a speaker cable to each: 16ohm + 16ohm in parallel = 8ohm total load the amp would see.

If you used 2 cables with your cab in stereo, that would be 16ohm at each stereo input jack, so it would be the same thing as using 2 seperate 16ohm cabs in the example above. It would work, but it's using a whole extra cable you don't need. The 2x 16ohm speakers in your cab are already wired in parallel when the cab is set to mono (8ohm).

And just one more thing, what about the tube question. I can't find anywhere that specifically answers it.

don't really understand the question. As long as you are using the correct power transformer for your country, the line voltage shouldn't affect your amps internal circuit. Tubes just pull out straight, and go in straight on pins, preamp and power. They are aligned with a gap that indicates pin 1, so you can align them correctly in the sockets. As long as you aren't poking around inside the amp, changing tubes is a snap.

Biasing powertubes is a seperate issue however. If your amp has a fixed adjustable bias, then you should have a tech bias it correctly for the matched set of powertubes you decide to use. That or get a bias rite and do it yourself, however this is a little more dangerous as you are poking around inside the amp. Even off, an amp can store enough voltage in the caps to kill you. Also, when you bias an amp, you actually have to adjust the bias pot while the amp is on and fully operational.

If your amp has a fixed non-adjustable bias, then get a matched set of powertubes from a dealer that knows your amp, and will test tubes to work correctly with your fixed bias.

Biasing powertubes is a balance between running them hot enough to give you a great sound, without severely impacting the tube lifespan. Super hot tubes will sound great, but you will go thru them quickly. A very cold bias will allow the tubes to last longer, but usually doesn't sound as good because you run into sound issues such as crossover distortion. The best is to have an optimal balance between both.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Thanks for the help.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO