Ho would I go about writing my own ska-punk bassline? I like prominent bass, that can stand out against reggae-esque breakdown upstrokes. I like that the bass is a little more important in ska than in basic three chord punk, only because it is much groovier, in my opinion.

Anyway, now that my diatribe is over, I have no idea how to write my own stuff........

Any useful lessons, advice, ideas, things I should know?

Thanks everyone!!

Best,

E
Most ska bassists stick to pretty basic shapes. Namely, major arpeggio, major scales and minor scales.

and they also change chord along with the guitarist.

You'd primarily play on the beat 1/8th notes too.

Listen to some Streetlight Manifesto and look at the corresponding tabs.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Haha I have the exact same problem xD

So yeah... free bump because any answers would help me =]
"Punk is a state of mind, and no one can take that away from you."
yea definately listen to some good ska like streetlight manifesto / catch 22 , reel big fish, less than jake, mustard plug, the mighty mighty bosstones, and the toasters
and check out the the tabs like jonnomainman said.
i wrote a ska bass line the other day, im not sure if it actually sounds ska (ish) but i think it is, (sounds a lil like greenday).

E:555---------777-555------------
A:----555-777---------55(p)0(h)7
D:-------------------------------------
G--------------------------------------

Please for the sake of honesty, dont steal my line or pass it off as your own. thanks
i hope i helped.
thanks for al the help so far!! The basic shape thing is what I'll adhere to for now. Feel free to comment away!!

Best,

E
Walking basslines and arpeggios are your friends while writing ska lines. Some root pounding during heavy breakdowns is also acceptable.
Quote by The Sallad
Walking basslines and arpeggios are your friends while writing ska lines. Some root pounding during heavy breakdowns is also acceptable.

I'd agree with that as well.

stuff like this:

G------------------------------------------
D-----2-5-2-2-5-2-----------------------
A-3-3----------------0-0-3-3------------
E--------------------------------1-1h3---

lines like that go greatly IMO. stick to arpeggios and the breakup of scales =\ works well for me atleast.
Quote by yawn
Don't type in all caps.

Otherwise You Look Like A Complete Moron.

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
1) Bold print. Reason? Y/N?