Hey boys and girls. =)

Lately, I have been really interested in meditation.
I seen a lot of people talk about it, and how much their life has gotten better since they started to do it, and I decided that I want to try it as well.
I love to be relaxed, and calm, and peacefull, and all that jazz.

So, I just read about it a bit on Wikipedia, and it dosen't really explain how to do it, and dosen't really have anything usefull, besides history.

I was wondering if any of you do it, or know someone who does it, and if you do, please share the story in this thread.

If you could point me to something to read, on lessons on how to do it properly.

Also, I read on wiki that there are risks: Potential hazards

"There is anecdotal evidence that meditation can cause some people to experience psychotic episodes, particularly in those with a history of mental illness, or those who submit themselves to long meditation retreats without prior meditation experience."

If you could help out with how to avoid the risks, that would be great as well.

So yeah, post away, get interested, share stories, tips, and everything you want.
=)
books have knowledge, knowledge is power, power corrupts, corruption is a crime, and crime doesn't pay..so if you keep reading, you'll go broke.

UG Profile
I'm interested in this as well. *awaits people with knowledge to post*
I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer, the future is uncertain and the end is always near. - The Doors, Roadhouse Blues
Quote by minibrowny
Word on the street is, this girl called axel i think it was, spent the night in a disused barn eating owls.
Quote by mulletman500
I like my women like I like my coffee... male.

Yeah, but I sing like an amputee though.
Why?
'Cause. Can't hold a note, can't carry a tune.
i should take it up again, its awesome but i havnt bothered recently =)
Quote by darkstar2466

I love you.

Quote by rabidguitarist

Can I be your adopted parent? I'd love you like a real son.

"Arguing over the internet is like the special olympics. No matter who wins, your both still retards." - A man of many muffins
When I do it, I just sit in a comfortable position and inhale/exhale SLOOOOWLY while only focusing on my breathing and nothing else. Bear in mind that there are LOTS of ways to meditate, if you want to find more methods try searching the web or talking to other people that practice it.

Thoughts can't be hindered , but I've heard someone that's better than me saying that you should not hinder them from appearing, just get to a state where you can "watch them" from a third-person-view of sorts.

Regardless of how deep you want to go with it, even just a couple of minutes feels great afterwards.

Also, I won't recommend lying down, I always fall to sleep when doing that

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Comfortable clothing is recommended as well, explains all the gurus with their dresses and stuff I guess .
Quote by faqu

If you could help out with how to avoid the risks, that would be great as well.

Don't be that guy .
First off, nice to see you again faqu! guess i haven't been online too much. Old school!

anyways, coming to meditation, I think it is a fantastic idea. I myself go for yoga classes which includes meditation. Trust me, the mind is capable of doing amazingly strange things and meditation will help you reach your potential. Go for it!

As for the risks, from what i know, meditation is highly recommended for people with depression or mental disorders. But there have been cases where this hasn't worked out at all for people with disorders. The trick is to inform your instructor before hand, for I know my yoga guru lays down a different set of excercises for me.

Happy meditating!
ITS NOT RAPE ITS SURPRISE SEX!!
Club Member #4
PM me or jay2k2jay to join
Quote by -Vogel-
When I do it, I just sit in a comfortable position and inhale/exhale SLOOOOWLY while only focusing on my breathing and nothing else. Bear in mind that there are LOTS of ways to meditate, if you want to find more methods try searching the web or talking to other people that practice it.

Thoughts can't be hindered , but I've heard someone that's better than me saying that you should not hinder them from appearing, just get to a state where you can "watch them" from a third-person-view of sorts.

Regardless of how deep you want to go with it, even just a couple of minutes feels great afterwards.

Also, I won't recommend lying down, I always fall to sleep when doing that

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Comfortable clothing is recommended as well, explains all the gurus with their dresses and stuff I guess .

Sounds good.
how do you decide on wich method is the best for you?
Do you just pick a random method and stick with it, or do you practice a lot, and then figure out what's best for you?
Do you do it every day? I'm looking at something like 10 minutes every day.

Also, could you point me to some methods, or sites with explanations on how to do it properly?

Thanks. =)

EDIT: classical_metal good to see you, I remember you. =)
What's the difference between Yoga and meditation?

And Do I have to get an teacher of some sort?
books have knowledge, knowledge is power, power corrupts, corruption is a crime, and crime doesn't pay..so if you keep reading, you'll go broke.

UG Profile
I wouldn't think that it would be dangerous unless you either used drugs, or were in some sort of confining position where your airways may get blocked if you fall asleep.

I like to meditate to music, generally; stick on a Mozart piano sonata and just relax into the music and follow each note and phrase. Actually getting into the music like that can be very insightful.
Meditation only works because you think It'll work. Purely placebo.

There's no harm in doing it, it might help you theough it's placebo effect. and the act of sitting in quiet can possibly help you relieve some tension and think things through.

But don't get too sucked into the spiritual mumbo jumbo.

And anecdotal evidence is just that, an anecdote. Could be nothing more than an urban myth. Or If someone has a history of mental illness, whats to stop it coming back at any moment. Chances are it's either a coincidence or the fact that their belief that they're doning something spiritual triggering their psychosis.
^ There is a big psychological aspect to sitting and letting your cares fall away, and just exist in the world. It frees you from social constructions and gives you a healthier perspective on life imo.
erowid.org has a lot of guides on it, under mind and spirit
I like to meditate. I only do it when I'm really stressed, because it takes a lot of energy from me. I imagine myself in a really beautiful place (lake windermere works for me, it's better if you've been to the place.) You need to feel like you're there. Smell, feel, see, touch it. I imagine myself going through dors, stairs, caves until I reach an opening in some woods, where I talk to my guide. (At this moment in time, I'm still not confident on wether he is just me communicating with my deeper brain, or actually a physical being) and I can talk to him about stuff, and sort out my problems with me. Once, he helped my find my keys :p.

When you're finished, don't try to just wake up, you can upset yourself. Come back slowly, going back through the doors and caves and shizz. Wake up.

I find that it really helps.

That's really vague, but it sort of gives an outline of how I do it anyway.

I meditate through night walking. Very relaxing and nerve calming. Reccomend doing so to some Tragically Hip tunes or other calming music.
Quote by richwatkinson
haha You pwned an entire website....i bow down...

TheDudeBox
Quote by Oasis-fanatic
i should take it up again, its awesome but i havnt bothered recently =)

Just like me.
Quote by radio_schizo
I can't do it. My mind wanders off into thought too easily.

If that's so, then meditiation could be what you need to change that or at least have your moments where you do not wander into thoughts too easily.
We did it in R.E. It didn't work 'cause my brain wouldn't STFU.
NO ONE EVER READS MY POSTS.
It takes massive amounts of concentration, we do it in RS in college for like 30 minutes, I wouldnt know how to do it myself, we have someone 'leading' it, talking us through it if you get me?
It really feels nice once you've done it, but the amount of concentration it takes is ridiculous.
D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

Quote by -Vogel-
If that's so, then meditiation could be what you need to change that or at least have your moments where you do not wander into thoughts too easily.

Do you know any good tips or any good videos/articles on how to learn how to meditate?
I feel it is a skill I really need to learn in life as often my mind is in serious need of de-cluttering.
I tried meditating today while I was high.....I didn't like it. It felt like my brain/head had been injected with a ridiculous amount of novacaine.

Anyawy.....this is just a tip. If your forhead is hurting when you first start out, imagine it as a flowing piece of silk. I read that somewhere and it worked for me...but I dunno if it works for everyone.
"Imagine all the people, sharing all the world"
-John Lennon
you go to sleep, but in a sitting state so that you don't actually fall asleep. that's pretty much it. try not to let your mind settle on any thoughts, but if thoughts come passing by, don't try and force them out, or your mind will never settle.
Quote by Punk Rocker

Anyawy.....this is just a tip. If your forhead is hurting when you first start out, imagine it as a flowing piece of silk. I read that somewhere and it worked for me...but I dunno if it works for everyone.

It could also be a sign of your Third Eye Chakra getting activated. Then again, it's not something everyone wishes to experience in the first place, so I can see why you did the Silk-thing (which sounds like quite a pretty visualization)
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
don't try and force them out, or your mind will never settle.

QFT.

Instead of forcing, observe. Or even better, raise positive energy and start manifesting whatever it is that you want to create.