Lately I have been listening to quite a bit of ATG and other similar bands and I've been inspired to write a few songs in this style. Does anybody know of any sorrowful, haunting scales that are used in typical Melo-Death Songs? I appreciate it, thanks

Red
Death..Is Just The Beginning..
Havent got a clue, but ATG fucking rule
Just listen to loadsa that type of music.. Dark Tranquillity, ATG, Amon Amarth etc
Quote by FreakShow99
id say the mnor scale or the diminished scale. isnt dorian a mode of major scale?

Isn't the minor scale aswell ?
TS, I don't listen to much Melo-Death but I'd imagine that using natural and harmonic minor would be a good place to start.
Quote by Eirien
Isn't the minor scale aswell ?
TS, I don't listen to much Melo-Death but I'd imagine that using natural and harmonic minor would be a good place to start.

yeah thats okay, im just looking for scales that have a dramatic sadness to them..you know?
Quote by DiamondOfBlood
yeah thats okay, im just looking for scales that have a dramatic sadness to them..you know?

Try to focus more on how you apply the scale, rather than looking for exotic scales to use.
Quote by Eirien
Try to focus more on how you apply the scale, rather than looking for exotic scales to use.

Yeah I follow you..
yeah, try listening to new metallica, dragonforce, nivarnia, greenday and early trivium for melodic metal style. For scales: pentetonic 2nd invasion with wahwah and fuzz and delay octiviumousplousofhsshifting! Dude!
キタ━━━━(・∀・)━━━━!!
Quote by Ichikurosaki
shred knows more about everything than anyone i think

Quote by IchiKurosaki
i hope we never meet shjred honestly i love you but im scared of you
Quote by Shredoftheday
yeah, try listening to new metallica, dragonforce, nivarnia, greenday and early trivium for melodic metal style. For scales: pentetonic 2nd invasion with wahwah and fuzz and delay octiviumousplousofhsshifting! Dude!

Umm, excuse me?

...Am I seeing this...
Dragonforce has alot of melody, they don't do random shredding.

Nirvana (lol@Nirvania) and Greenday however, wut
Quote by Shredoftheday

He's asking about melodic death metal, not melodic metal.

anyway...

Look at the tabs(or learn them) of the songs you like and apply what you like to your own ideas. Don't just copy riffs.
*reported*... twice in one reply!

OH NOES!!! Theowy is scawY!!!
Harmonic minor.
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
Why can't we outlaw these threads?
There is no "dramatically sad" scale. Scales do not have moods.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Why can't we outlaw these threads?
There is no "dramatically sad" scale. Scales do not have moods.

You're right. Maybe it's time for another sticky about creating moods with music.

Quote by allislost
You're right. Maybe it's time for another sticky about creating moods with music.

wrong, this is totally up to creativity.

I don't know ur music style, but I bet in the music you like there are 10000000 of people playing the same scales, but there are only a portion of those artists that appeal to you or have emotional effect on you.

What you want is a guide to human emotion.

GL on that

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
wrong, this is totally up to creativity.

I don't know ur music style, but I bet in the music you like there are 10000000 of people playing the same scales, but there are only a portion of those artists that appeal to you or have emotional effect on you.

What you want is a guide to human emotion.

GL on that

A guide to human emotion? Don't be an idiot. I'm just suggesting creating an article or thread that shows, with examples, the reasoning behind the moods created within some songs.

It's as easy as using song examples with youtube vids and explaining, with some theory, what is happening.

Last edited by allislost at Feb 6, 2009,