which head is better for:
blues overdrive tones
cleans
metal distortion
classic rock, blues, thrash metal, all that stuff
which one would work better with a mg cab
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Well being as though you are using the MG cab any head you buy won't sound as good as it should but anyway.
I had pretty much the same dilema as you a while ago (only I was looking at combos not heads) but chose the 900 and am very happy with my choice.
Cleans on the 900 are in my opinion the best Marshall cleans, very nice and warm sounding, to me on the 2000 they didn't have enough "life".
Blues overdrive on the is really nice also on the 900, you can knock up the gain on the clean channel aswell for a bit more of a crunch (same as above for the 2000).
For metal with the 900 I think you'd probably need an OD (I don't play metal myself so not 100% on this) though I'm pretty sure the 2000 could do that on it's own.
As for classic rock the 900 wins hands down, the 2000's distortion is just too high gain and a bit too thin in my opinion for the classic stuff.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
for cleans + bluesy overdrive i'd just get a JTM45, for metal slap something on like a Keeley modded MT-2
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Last edited by igotabcrich32 at Mar 7, 2008,
If your looking at the 2000 DSL series, go with the 50 Watt head. The cleans on the 50watt are better than the 100 watt. And the 50watt dsl has THE best Marshall cleans ive heard.. Ive even heard others say they have been told that their 50 watt dsl head has the best marshall cleans they have heard with a modern marshall.
You really need to try out both. I like the dsl tho.
JCM2000 FTW. Incredible amps. I wish I could afford one =(
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
if youre talking like kill em all metallica thrash, i imagine the jcm900 would be fine, but if youre talking like slayer etc. youll probably want an overdrive. (thats what zakk wylde and kerry king did)
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

HAHA.. i just did a JCM900 vs JCM2000 thread like couple days ago

but i think i`m getting a JCM900 4500 model

i play thrash... ALOT of Slayer and this head without an overdrive pedal will pull it off as long as your over 1/2 volume..... even better if your running EMG`s better still if you have the PA2 gain booster with your EMG`s

but this amp has that Marshall roar that is known for metal and the EMG`s are godly though this head... the 85 is so much clearer i keep forgetting to flip to the 81 for leads.

cleans with the 85 are very nice there nice and warm and creamy to me, i REALLY like the cleans

but the overdrive is where this amp is the best.... The Slayer tone is not that far away with this amp.

DO NOT use a MG cab.... i tryed using my Line 6 spider cab and this head was a total dissappointment now i have a Marshall 2 X 12 1936 lead cab and OMG.... SOOOOO much better.

i never tryed a JCM2000 but the JCM900 is perfect if your going for Thrash with the EMG`s theres so much gain and it`s perfectly clear and bright, i`m also running a Zakk Wyld Overdrive too

but ya i know you don`t wanna hear this but DUMP the MG cab trade it in on a used 1936 lead series 2 X 12, if your on a buget.... a 1960A cab if you can afford it
well then that brings me too my next questions
is the tsl that much better than the dsl is it worth it
and can the dsl/tsl do metal distortion, like metallica, megadeth, and slayer
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
i`ve heard a few people say the DSL is better then the TSL, you`ll just have to try them and find out

and really if your only doin metal the DSL is fine, you don`t need a 3rd channel.

i`m sure a JCM2000 will pull off old school metal... but honestly look for a JCM900 it roars and will do 80`s thrash with no problems... but it is voiced high, but thats awesome for leads
The older JCM series are a load better than the new ones. Get a JCM900. BUT for what you're playing you might want to lean toward a used Mesa F-30 or F-50, or a Rect-o-verb.
i'm not only doing metal though, i'm doing classic rock, blues, and metal
only some metallica and megadeth sort of stuff
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
oh.. well the 900 does classic rock should do blues too, it`s got a really awesome clean channel too, as i`m finding out the JCM900 can do alot of sounds, probly the only thing it won`t do is like Death metal or Metalcore.... although i havn`t detuned my guitar to try any heavyer stuff.
the 900 sounded better on clean and crunch settings and just about metallica but the 2000 was better on metalish stuff (this could be b.c the 2000 was in the loud lounge and the 900 was on the floor. the 900 was on 2 and the 2000 was on about 4 or 5)
why doesnt anyone ever mention the vintage modern? i have one and i love it. i can get all the tones you want with very little tweeking. i tried it along with the 900 and 2000 when i bought it and thought it was far best of the 3
Quote by gatechballer
SoLgEr is the ****ing man!!!!!
because when i think of vintage i don't exactly think metal
fair enough?
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
I tried the VM and I thought it sounded extremely thin and lacked the balls that I know marshall used to have. You should not limit yourself to only marshalls. ENGLs and MESAs are great and usually much better alternatives. The Mesa F-30/F-50 are unbelievably versatille amps, with awesome clean tones, and the gain can start at good ole classic ac/dc led zeppelin flavor, and gets into much heavier territory.
Quote by Highwaytohell
I tried the VM and I thought it sounded extremely thin and lacked the balls that I know marshall used to have. You should not limit yourself to only marshalls. ENGLs and MESAs are great and usually much better alternatives. The Mesa F-30/F-50 are unbelievably versatille amps, with awesome clean tones, and the gain can start at good ole classic ac/dc led zeppelin flavor, and gets into much heavier territory.

+123
The Mesa F-30/50 is a much more versatile amp than eitehr Marshall and will sound better than the DSL and TSL easily IMO. Amazing cleans and blues/classic rock gain. The metal sound will be better than both IMO also.