Hey people, my band wants to do a cover song of Kansas' "Carry On Wayward Son"
so what does a band have to do to get permision to record a cover? Also I know other bands have covered this song, would it be easyer to get permission to cover a "cover" rather than covering the origanal. any information would help'

Ty

lucas.
just play it.
My Gear

Guitar
DEAN Razorback Shards
Wesley crappy cheap thing

Amps
Cheap Crappy Freedom Practice AMP 15watts
VOX AD50 Valtronix
I don't think you have to get permission to record a cover. However, if you make money from said recording, I think you owe the original band royalties.
If it was released in the last 15 years, then you need permission to record and sell a cover. Older than that, and you're fine.

At least in the US.

EDIT:
Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
I don't think there are any laws, as long as you credit the song to the original writer(s).

Yeah, that, too. Don't forget that.

It's an old song, though, so you're good.
My band have recorded 3 covers, 2 are on myspace, and no-one cares.
"If you don't show it, I cannot grope it."

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.."
just credit the original writers. if you aren't a famous band, don't even worry about permission.
Ok... Live, just play it.
Getting it on a labeled CD, I think you just need to credit the composers.
we want to put it on a album that can be sold. synpet713192 do you have expireance with recording covers? can you point me to a writen law that says it ok to record after 15 years. that sure would be nice.
Quote by weasel54849
we want to put it on a album that can be sold. synpet713192 do you have expireance with recording covers? can you point me to a writen law that says it ok to record after 15 years. that sure would be nice.

I can't point to a specific law, but I know my stepbrother's band, about 6 years ago (now split) covered Space Oddity, and I know they didn't need to get permission for that. They just covered it, and credited Bowie for writing it.

Credit the songwriters and you're fine. I don't remember exactly who told me the 15 years thing, but it makes sense to me, and doesn't apply anyways (since the song's what, 30 years old?)
As far as I know covering a song is ok... Cause like ever band in richmond has at least one cover song if not a whole freakin' setlist of covers. But if you record it you have to get premission (and of course pay royalties..)
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all
As long as you're not making profits and stopping people from buying the original recording, then it's ok. So you can record it for MySpace/YouTube and it's fine, but can't sell it on a disc without permission and paying a certain amount in royalties. And always credit the original writers.