So I have a very old Univox Amp its called 720 2112. It is a 2x12 with 2 g12k-85 celestion.

Here is my problem the power and preamp suck. There is no life to the tone with a flat response.

So I want to grab a head and throw it in place of the old section and use the amp as a cab. What do you all think? and suggestion for a cheap and clean response.
Main Rigs
Guitars
Thineline tele with SD lil '59

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120
Rocktron VT-60
Quote by teknotard
So I have a very old Univox Amp its called 720 2112. It is a 2x12 with 2 g12k-85 celestion.

Here is my problem the power and preamp suck. There is no life to the tone with a flat response.

So I want to grab a head and throw it in place of the old section and use the amp as a cab. What do you all think? and suggestion for a cheap and clean response.
If you're talking about putting the head in the space that the Univox chassis is sitting in right now, I think it's a bad idea. Why bother? The head already has a box. Leave it in there. Just wire up the back of the Univox to use the speakers only. Then use it like a cab. Done.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Oh, no.... lol not literally throw it in there... I meant to through it in place of the signal..

Sorry, should have been more clear...

Although What I probably would do is take out the Preamp/Poweramp anyways just to save on some weight. But i wouldnt litereally build it in, too much work.

Any Ideas on some head though? just someting with some power but has has a clean response.

And CRAZY you found a picture of it. I haven't been able to find much info on it at all!
Main Rigs
Guitars

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120
Rocktron VT-60
Quote by teknotard
Oh, no.... lol not literally throw it in there... I meant to through it in place of the signal..

Sorry, should have been more clear...

Although What I probably would do is take out the Preamp/Poweramp anyways just to save on some weight. But i wouldnt litereally build it in, too much work.

Any Ideas on some head though? just someting with some power but has has a clean response.

And CRAZY you found a picture of it. I haven't been able to find much info on it at all!
It doesn't really matter. Your chances of finding ANY head with chassis that has the right dimensions to fit properly where the old chassis was are very poor.

I really think you're better off to find a head that you like, and just use it as a separate head and use this amp just as a speaker cab.

Good luck to you, however you decide to go.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Actually, that is what I am saying dude! I wat to buy a head and use it. (I WOuld still take out the old electronics and just coveri t up with some painted ply wood.
Main Rigs
Guitars

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120
Rocktron VT-60