Page 1 of 2
Hi everyone.

Someone on another forum pointed out that Sound Control are blowing out the all-tube Grainger Hammerhead half-stack (as far as I'm aware, it's a re-branded Epiphone So-Cal halfstack, but I haven't tried the Epiphone version) for £200. That's including the 4x12 cabinet. I thought I'd better let you know, as they were going for £400 not too long ago, and they were decent value at that, in my opinion. The offer ends, according to the Sound Control website, on the 9th of March at midnight (that's this Sunday, by my reckoning). So if you do want one, you'd need to be quick.

From what I can remember from trying it, it has a decent clean channel, and a decent british-voiced overdrive channel suitable for rock (not really heavy stuff). Decent reverb, and switchable from 50 to 25 watts, which is cool.

First things first, though, some disclaimers on my part:

- I am not endorsing Sound Control. Truth be told, I'm not a fan, but there's no point in biting off your nose to spite your face.

- I've heard they don't ship to Northern Ireland (I have not confirmed this though). EDIT: according to the Sound Control website, they say they ship to anywhere in the UK for £7.50. Last time I checked, Northern Ireland was in the UK, but it might be worth checking just to be sure. Sorry about that.

- I have no idea how much postage is to the mainland UK.

- I am not suggesting you rush out and buy one- I am, however, suggesting that if you're in the market for a tube halfstack with a classic to hard rock voicing, that you should try one as quickly as you can.

- I am not trying to pressure you with the supposed limited nature of the offer- I'm just relaying the information I have. If you aren't sure, don't buy it.

- It does not say what the cab is- I'd assume it's the Hammerhead cab, but it'd pay to make sure they're not giving you an MG cab or something.

- ***IF YOU PLAY BR00TAL MODERN HIGH GAIN METAL, LOOK ELSEWHERE. IT *MIGHT* DO IT WITH A BOOST AND EQ PEDAL, BUT IT MIGHT NOT, AND IT'S CERTAINLY NOT AIMED AT THAT TONE. IT'S MORE OF A BRITISH CLASSIC/HARD ROCK TONALITY. WOULD PROBABLY DO IRON MAIDEN AT A PINCH WITHOUT A BOOST, BUT NOT MUCH HEAVIER. BASED ON THE ONE I TRIED, AND IN MY OPINION.***

- If you're used to a soldano, or other similar boutique amp, unless you need a spare, it probably won't impress you. It is £200- you wouldn't expect a ferrari for the price of a Ford, and it's the same thing here. It's a decent budget tube amp, with a sound quality similar to, say, a peavey valveking etc. But it's hard to argue with the price, and I thought the one I tried sounded decent, for the price (a little more background noise than would be ideal, but nothing awful)- and that's when it was £400. I was pleasantly surprised, I guess.

Anyway, here's the link: http://www.soundcontrol.co.uk/mod_1/pages/mod_1.12/pages/mod_1.12.1/pages/mod_1.12.1.1/pages/index.php?sku=1.1.1.3.1.1-216-27

As I said, it's not an endorsement by me, but if you're looking for a budget british-rock-voiced tube amp, it'd be hard to beat it at the price.

Also, Sound Control is (has been for a while, in fact) offering the Peavey Windsor head for £199 as well- that doesn't include a cab, though. But that's bound to be worth a try too. It's less versatile (doesn't have a clean channel), but might cope with higher gain stuff a little better- but I haven't tried the two head to head.

Anyway, I just thought I'd better let you guys know. Any questions, I'll try my best to answer (though it's a while since I've tried it).

Occasional bumps (only if it's off the front page) wouldn't hurt either, until the deal is over.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 8, 2008,
£200 for a halfstack?!?! and its not even a MG!
Gear

'07 Ibanez RG1570MRB Prestige
'97 Ibanez RGR570 - V7/Dimarzio Fast Track/ Dimarzio PAF Pro
Westfield SG Copy
Westfield Strat Copy
Falcon Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Roland Microcube
Unbranded 15W Starter Amp
damn! im actually bidding this very moment for a JCM900.... for £300.

should i just go for this or the JCM?

(this good 4 indie music eh?)

Great find!
i'd bet theyll have em cheaper if theyre at the newcastle guitar show on sunday (cant wait ^_^)
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
haha, cheers man! I can see this would be helpful for a lot of people
Looks good for me, but i think a halfstack would be impractical (yes, i look for practicality over the size of my halfstack-endorsing epenis, unlike a lot of metalheads in this forum )
Still good info
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
So what is this aimed at, clean and overdrive? If it can do cleans really well then I'm pretty interested.

They do specify the cab btw (info below) is it any good?

Ripped from the link you posted

The GraingerL 412SL cabinet has four specially designed Lady Luck 12" Eminence speakers in the acoustically designed cab.

The Grainger 412SL can handle anything else you throw at it, up to 280 watts. 11-ply birch cab has tough vinyl covering, recessed bar handles, and reinforced corners.

Grainger 412SL 4x12 Speaker Cabinet main features include:

* 4 X 12in Lady Luck Eminence speakers
* Max power: 280W
* 11-ply birch cab
* Vinyl covering
* Recessed bar handles and reinforced corners
* 28"W x 28-1/2"H x 14"D

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
EDIT:^ i'd have said the cab was alright. not mesa standard, of course, but i'd say decent. i've tried the speakers with a valve junior, and they aren't bad- though that was only 5 watts. I haven't cranked that cab with the hammerhead, though.

cheers guys! I can't take credit for the find, someone at another forum spotted it.

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
i'd bet theyll have em cheaper if theyre at the newcastle guitar show on sunday (cant wait ^_^)

ah I did not know that, thanks. if you're in the newcastle area, probably best if you wait for that first, then- and then if not, you could bid online on sunday night. Assuming they have some left by then.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
(i can't edit a post with quotes in it or i risk my computer freezing)

oh, it has a reasonably sparkly (still quite warm though) clean channel, and a decent-sounding british-voiced overdrive channel- think ac/dc, thin lizzy, up to around maiden levels of dirt. that type of tone. from what i can remember.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Nice find! I saw a rebranded Epiphone Blues Valve or something, the 30w 2x12, for only £300. It's tube rectified and everything! It's called Grainger I think. Also, PMTonline have Tiny Terrors new for £249!
Real men don't need sigs.
Nice, Dave. I suggest you emphasize this part though :
Quote by Dave_Mc

- ***IF YOU PLAY BR00TAL MODERN HIGH GAIN METAL, LOOK ELSEWHERE. IT *MIGHT* DO IT WITH A BOOST AND EQ PEDAL, BUT IT MIGHT NOT, AND IT'S CERTAINLY NOT AIMED AT THAT TONE. IT'S MORE OF A BRITISH CLASSIC/HARD ROCK TONALITY. WOULD PROBABLY DO IRON MAIDEN AT A PINCH WITHOUT A BOOST, BUT NOT MUCH HEAVIER. BASED ON THE ONE I TRIED, AND IN MY OPINION.***

Some UGers have the mentality that all half-stacks = br00t3, so yeah.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
^ too true

I saw this on the email they sent me. Good info though!
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
*reported for advertising*

Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by TNfootballfan62
*reported for advertising*

Crap, I was just going to do that.

Oh well..

*reported again*

I wish I was in the UK

Great info dave, I'm gonna have to go try one of them so-cals out
My god thats insane.

The cabs worth more than that alone.

I might be getting one.
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
Quote by dgervin839
Nice find! I saw a rebranded Epiphone Blues Valve or something, the 30w 2x12, for only £300. It's tube rectified and everything! It's called Grainger I think.

yeah, i tried that one... i preferred the hammerhead to be honest. but for british blues, the blues twin (think that's the name) is probably better.

Quote by aznrockerdude
Nice, Dave. I suggest you emphasize this part though :

Some UGers have the mentality that all half-stacks = br00t3, so yeah.

haha, i thought it was already emphasised in capitals.

Quote by False_God
Damn, that was a long read man.

But very nice

haha, yeah. i wanted to make sure that people realised that i wasn't telling people to run out and buy them. i don't want 50 people complaining that i told them to buy an amp they didn't like...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Blues Twin is also only £200 now Dave, if i'm not mistaken. Tube recto and everything on that.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
^ interesting. I thought I checked when I made this thread and it was £300 (though I could be wrong). It looks a bit like they're blowing them out. Might be worth making sure they aren't B-stock or something. But unless they say it is, it shouldn't be (not saying they wouldn't do that; but in the eyes of the law, they shouldn't be doing that).

i wasn't all that fussed on the blues twin, i thought it sounded too much like my valve junior. But for £200, and especially if you didn't already have a valve junior, that's a pretty good price too for a warm, vintage-voiced tube combo. 2x12 and valve recto too.

as i said about the hammerhead, it is a budget tube amp... but even budget tube amps (of such high wattage, anyway) aren't often that cheap.

EDIT: interesting- apparently they will ship to any UK destination. That includes Northern Ireland, unless Sound Control have a different (i.e. wrong) definition of what the UK is.

that dude on the other forum must have been wrong about that. Or else sound control don't know what "UK" means.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 8, 2008,
damn. i'm tempted to get one of these and then just chuck it on ebay if i don't like it. any idea on what their returns policy is? i can't help but feel i'd still turn a profit... but i only have about 40 minutes to decide. eek.

to those who have one/have tried one, what do you think? i like mid range, i'm mostly concerned about having a good clean channel that has a bit of dirt to it and lots of mid range goodness, or having a dirty, crunchy channel that i can dial the gain down on to being on that verge between super clean and slight crunch. i'm happy to stick with my rat for dirt. would you recommend this to me?
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
^ i have no idea what their return policy is. But since you haven't tried it, you should be covered by UK/EU distance-selling regulations. I.e. you have 7 days to change your mind (though you'd probably be out postage). And the law supersedes any company policy.

Would be worth checking into, though, just in case it doesn't apply to special offers or something.

based on what you've said you like in terms of tone, i'd think you'd probably like it (though obviously i may have misinterpreted what you meant, or you could have a different idea of "middy" etc. to me). the guy in the other thread you posted in, who bought one, has some soundclips in his profile.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^yeah, i had a listen, they didnt sound bad, but i'm never too keen on soundclips really anyway, i don't think they give a great sense of the feel of an amp when its in the room, and eq is such a massive thing...

i guess by mid range i mean i like something with a lot of mid range to it, i like really thick guitar sounds, i'd rather err towards muddy than towards that hollow scooped nonsense...

i think i'm gonna go for it. i mean, hell, i've got the money at the moment and this is astonishingly cheap. i don't think i would be out by much (if anything) even if i did have to ebay it.
Last edited by Gurgle!Argh! at Mar 9, 2008,
if you like thick, the blues twin might be worth considering too. the hammerhead is more of a rock amp, the blues twin more a thick british blues tone.

i liked the hammerhead more, though, and it had a nicer clean channel (bit more sparkle) in my opinion. of course, that might be the opposite of what you want.

hard to decide, and hard to advise since you haven't tried it (and it's like 8 months since i tried it, and i tried it once for about 20 minutes).

with any luck though, if you want to sell it on, you shouldn't lose much. but you can never tell how the market's going to go. if you need the money to live i wouldn't buy it assuming you'd be able to sell it on for more, lol.

EDIT: i should add, though, that the hammerhead is better value- it used to be £400, while the blues twin used to be £300. They're both going for £200 now.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 9, 2008,
i just did it. here comes the buyer's remorse, i'm sure. ha. like, this is so impractical for me, but i'm sure it will work out. might have to look for a 2x12 cab. hell, do they make 1x12 cabs? haha.

but yeah, i think i will probably prefer this one to the blues twin, and perhaps more importantly, this will have a much better resale value. i mean, list price is apparently £599...
^ yeah, you can certainly get 2x12 cabs, and 1x12s too (but a 1x12 would need a reasonably high-wattage speaker in there).

let's hope you like it, lol. Let me know what you think when it arrives, anyway.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Is it just me or do they still have them for 200?
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
yeah, they seem to. but it does say the date on the page, so it's hard to know. it's possible they just haven't updated it yet.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
there still at £200. Im really tempted, I have the cash but I cant get rid of my Vox AD120VT. Having another amp would be a bit silly. Then again I could cash convert it at a last resort.....

PSN ID: ArranP
phone up just to make sure though. you don't want to buy it only to be charged full wack.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
^they can't do. if its advertised at £199 they either have to sell it at £199 or not at all. they can't just overcharge you without you agreeing to it.

anyway, mine hasn't shipped yet. i'm tempted to cancel my order because i'm getting doubts about whether i can really justify it. hmmmm.
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
^they can't do. if its advertised at £199 they either have to sell it at £199 or not at all. they can't just overcharge you without you agreeing to it.

anyway, mine hasn't shipped yet. i'm tempted to cancel my order because i'm getting doubts about whether i can really justify it. hmmmm.
they advertised it at 199 BEFORE midnight march 9th. so they would be perfectly within their rights to charge you for full price.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
they advertised it at 199 BEFORE midnight march 9th. so they would be perfectly within their rights to charge you for full price.

no, they wouldnt. if you go through the checkout system and it tells you it will be 199+7.50 postage, they can't charge you more than that. when you buy online, legally speaking, you're making an offer which they then choose to accept or (rarely deny). if your offer is 199, they can't charge you 599. end of.
^ true, but it also says "offer ends march 9th".

i don't think they can charge you more than £199 without your agreeing to it; but they'd be within their rights not to sell it to you for £199, by claiming there was a gremlin on their site or something.

I think.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Lemoninfluence

If they've not update there website and you buy it now, for the 199.99 and delivery thats the price you pay. It's there fault for not updating the site and cannot change the price once the purchase has been made.

PSN ID: ArranP
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ true, but it also says "offer ends march 9th".

i don't think they can charge you more than £199 without your agreeing to it; but they'd be within their rights not to sell it to you for £199, by claiming there was a gremlin on their site or something.

I think.

this is absolutely correct.
Quote by apmaman
If they've not update there website and you buy it now, for the 199.99 and delivery thats the price you pay. It's there fault for not updating the site and cannot change the price once the purchase has been made.

yes but if you go through the checkout and at the end it says 499 or whatever, you can't then say 'oh but it's on your site for 199 so I'm only going to pay that'.

That's what I meant. I know it goes through several stages where the amount is shown but I know people dumb enough to just click on through expecting it to be 199 because it says that on the site. And it's almost guaranteed that there'll be people on here who are stupid enough to do that.

Quote by element4433
Page 1 of 2