Hey, my problem is basically that I want to be able to tune my guitar without needing to lug a tuner around everywhere. The thing is that I always like, memorise an E note but when it comes to tuning, I can't keep it locked in mind, it's like when I hit a note a little south or a little sharp of E, my mind's image of it readjusts to suit that so I'll be 'in tune' at a D or an F.

Is it possible to get a real hold of tones through backwork or is it something you're just born with?
some tuners can fit in your pocket, so it's not like you're "lugging" it everywhere.

If you tune the whole guitar a different way then I would recommend a tuner, but if your just drop tuning the low E string, drop D for example, then tune it to the A string (e.g. 5th fret a = D)

Hope that helps a bit
Whats wrong with carrying around a tuner?

If a standard one (fits in your pocket) is still too big, get you Planet Waves SOS tuner. It's the size of a guitar pick.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Tuning the strings into scale with eachother is fine, I can do that, but getting the first string in tune is the hardest. And yeah, well, I didn't mean 'lugging' like that, I just meant that I'm never really one to have batteries / foresight when it comes to this kind of thing. It's not that I CAN'T get a tuner, I just thought it'd be handy to be able to do it myself.
Oh my bad. Yeah i cannot do it either. I don't know anyone who can. I don't see how it's really possible. I mean i could get close but not too close.
It's kinda tough to teach perfect pitch. It seems like you have relative pitch. You can come about a quarter tone either above or below E? Right? If so, that's alright, so long as it's not in the D or F range. Practice practice!
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Classic Ebony with gold hardware
Fender American Stratocaster 3 color sunburst maple fretboard tortoise shell pickguard
Martin 000-M Auditorium
Mesa Boogie F-50
Maxon OD-9
Dunlop 535Q Wah pedal
Velcro it to your amp if your mind is that preoccupied.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
What are you, an oompa loompa or something? My tuners not much bigger than a stack of picks!

I can get close to tuning to pitch by ear but it's not exact and that's after 18 years of playing, it's not a particularly easy thing to learn.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Something easy that I do is listen to a song with a root note that you need to tune to. If I have my MP3 player with me, or even just a ringtone on my cell phone, I play it and tune to that. For example, I listen to metalcore tuned to Drop C, with a lot of breakdowns. I know that many of the breakdowns are played with open C5 chords, so I tune my 6th and 4th strings to that C, and tune the rest of the guitar accordingly.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
I have a tuner on my phone
Ibanez RG1527
ENGL Blackmore Sig.
Marshall 1960A Cab
Orange 4x12 Cab

Member of UG's Official Gain \/\/hores - Invite Only
The thing I did was get adjusted to the sounds of the strings so that I can tune by ear. It only took a few months from when I started to do this and I didn't even try, it just naturally came. I assume you've been playing guitar for more than a few months so I think you can just strum the strings and get used to how they sound
I just think of a song that is in a particular tuning and play it till it matches the recording.
son, every night before you go to bed, hit that good, tuned-up low-E and let it ring. close your eyes a listen to it. don't listen to anymore music, just go to sleep and try to keep that tone in your head as long as you can. when you wake up, do it again, and again when you go to sleep.

I've been doing it for years and I can hear E,A,D,G,B,e from a mile away.

the problem is is that i play in drop-C.

another solution: find a song that starts on a Low-E. not a chord, just a low-E. for instance, the song 'Youth of the Nation' by P.O.D. starts with a low-C. i listened to them a lot in middle school and I can hear that low-C in my head anytime I need to.
I will call you out from shelter burn your wings and learn their letters
Quote by kthxbi
Tuning the strings into scale with eachother is fine, I can do that, but getting the first string in tune is the hardest. And yeah, well, I didn't mean 'lugging' like that, I just meant that I'm never really one to have batteries / foresight when it comes to this kind of thing. It's not that I CAN'T get a tuner, I just thought it'd be handy to be able to do it myself.

They are small, and I've never seen a decent gig bag without a pocket and cases have room. The batteries on mine didn't go until recently and I've had for 1-2 years, as long as you turn it off after you are done they last awhile. The main advantage is that you can also tune without being able to hear the guitar and tune much faster, and there are situations where this can be very necessary.
There is NOTHING WORSE than an out of tune instrument.. I HATE people who sit their with their guitar for 20mins trying to tune it by ear..

Just get a clip on tuner.. It's like $30 and you can leave it clipped on your guitar and you won't be "lugging" around a tuner..

Seriously perfect pitch usually can't even be taught, you either have it or you don't, so judging by your post you don't.. So just use a tuner.