Page 1 of 2
This has been rattling around my mind for a few day's now so I want to know what you guy's have on it.

If in fact the Universe is infinitively large, That means an infinite amount of worlds with life on it. This means infinite worlds with humans, of which an infinite amount speak our languages. This means that there are an infinite amount of worlds exactly like ours, down to the last person. Makes you feel special doesn't it?

The only problem with that the universe is not infinite, how could it be? But do not let that stop us....
I have nothing witty to say here at the moment

Expect a change soon
Why don't you worry about this world first before the other ones?

If the universe is infinite as you say, and have other worlds like us, that would only mean that there are other worlds making the same mistakes we do.
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
The Universe is infinite, but that doesn't mean there is an infinite amount of planets with life.

If you think about infinity for too long your head might explode.
Einstein claimed that the universe is so complexly shaped that if we travelled all the way to "the end" we'd end up right back where we were. I think we're told it was infinite because the scale is phenomenol, we cannot comprehend the size of it

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
that sorta thinking gives me headache (sp?)
Too tired and lazy to bother with a sig, Sorry.
Even if it is infinite i dont think there are worlds that resemble earth exactly with people that look just like us who speak the same languages as we do. I'm sure they look different and speak different languages.
I'm Tyler
Quote by toshiro umezewa
why can't it be infinite?
space is a void, therefore nothing.
no boundaries in nothing, only the edge of where the matter has expanded to from the big bang.
so
space = infinite
planets = limited by the amount of matter in existence

Spacetime is limited.
I can't understand infinity. Perhaps I'm just too stupid get my head around it.

It's fine in maths, like equations that tend towards infinity, because you can see it as a number, not as an actual thing.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by toshiro umezewa
why can't it be infinite?
space is a void, therefore nothing.
no boundaries in nothing, only the edge of where the matter has expanded to from the big bang.
so
space = infinite
planets = limited by the amount of matter in existence

True, but with all the asteroids and other things that can potentially frighten you at night tarting around and hitting things, eventually these parts of blown up stuff as a result from the tarting will for a new astrological body comprising of the old planets on the receiving end of the tarting?
Quote by Karvid
You win this thread. And UG. I haven't actually lol'd at a post in a really long time. Thanks for changing that. I expect a sig

He expected this.

Something you definitely need to know
Quote by Octtwe88
Even if it is infinite i dont think there are worlds that resemble earth exactly with people that look just like us who speak the same languages as we do. I'm sure they look different and speak different languages.

I don't think you understand large probabilities. If the universe is infinite, which it isn't, then there'd be an infinite number of planets where everything s exactly the same as earth.
dont think about it... it will make your head ache... nobody has answers and astrophysics or cientists or whatever never end up explaining everything... all their answer end up in another question so you will never know... just live ur life and dont think about it
Quote by Narwhale
This has been rattling around my mind for a few day's now so I want to know what you guy's have on it.

If in fact the Universe is infinitively large, That means an infinite amount of worlds with life on it. This means infinite worlds with humans, of which an infinite amount speak our languages. This means that there are an infinite amount of worlds exactly like ours, down to the last person. Makes you feel special doesn't it?

The only problem with that the universe is not infinite, how could it be? But do not let that stop us....

and is infintitly full of geeks i.e you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by Narwhale

Ah, the "Infinite Monkeys on Typwriters" theory.

The only problem is that the universe isn't infinite with worlds going forever, matter ends at the end of expansion from the Big Bang, so the universe in terms of matter isn't infinite.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
i try not to think about it, i just live life as it comes.
We'll never know, so who gives a crap.

infinite ammo however, is for noobs.

Amen.
Quote by blackenedktulu
CFH82, I love you. I didn't laugh, but my god, I love you.

Quote by Zero-Hartman
Holy shit, that was epic. A mighty roar escapeth'd my mouth.

Quote by WyvernOmega
I saw a penis.

last.fm
anyone got a link to that flash video that tries to explain 10 dimensions?

i remember it telling me something about an infinite number of infinities before my head imploded.
Check out my guitar quartet composition The Lone Wolf and you will be rewarded! With a live wolf!

Are you a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm adding you to my list of most hated UGers.

i think it's funny how sure some people are of something that's impossible to prove, for example the infiniteness or finiteness of the universe. no one has an answer, don't bother trying to find one.
dst127 wrote:
Soundwash22 wrote:
Fred Durst is the Tom Green of music

No, some people actually like Tom Green.

dancesisidance wrote:
Shiroshu wrote:
I can't see Jimi approving of this.

Me neither, due to him not being alive and all.
Quote by Portuguese_boy
The Universe is infinite, but that doesn't mean there is an infinite amount of planets with life.
True.
Quote by Narwhale

Well, if the universe is infinite, how do you conclude that there is an infinite number of planets? Do you know the probability of the existence of a planet in a given location? If the Big Band theory is true, there is a finite number of planets, stars galaxies, etc. expanding into an infinite amount of space.

Plus, there's more to think about, when dealing with life on others planets besides "Universe is f*cking huge, therefore life" (I won't even begin to talk about how illogical that argument is).

There is no such thing as a universal definition of "life", for the time being. You can say that an organism must have characteristics like homeostasis, response to stimili, growth, etc. However, this only defines life on earth. By these standards, we could find something on another planets that is roughly our size, walks, makes tools, communicate's with others like itself, and plays games. However if it had none of the characteristics above, it wouldn't be considered life.

I'm sort of straying away from my point; Life has not been defined universally. You can't really say there is life out there unless you truly know what it is.
Quote by irongoat666
anyone got a link to that flash video that tries to explain 10 dimensions?

i remember it telling me something about an infinite number of infinities before my head imploded.

Ah, I've seen that... Pretty interesting stuff.
There is no such thing as a universal definition of "life", for the time being. You can say that an organism must have characteristics like homeostasis, response to stimili, growth, etc. However, this only defines life on earth. By these standards, we could find something on another planets that is roughly our size, walks, makes tools, communicate's with others like itself, and plays games. However if it had none of the characteristics above, it wouldn't be considered life.

Being a principle of science, that must work everywhere. As you said, that is what we are aware of on earth. If we were to learn of something contrary to that than the rule would need to be expanded according to new discoveries.

On the other hand, the argument on the Universe being infinite but the matter not being had not occurred to me, thanks for bringing it up.

Expect a change soon
I don't know for sure if this applies to what your talking about, but once of my teachers once explained time, or space time, as a globe.

We are travelling on a latitude line around the space time, going in a circle, no beginning, no end. Longitude could be anywhere and everything if you were travelling on them. All the longitude lines travel to 2 center points and can go anywhere from there.

something like that

I try not to think about such things, as they are irrelevant and can only cause head explosion :/
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
You want answers to questions like this, smoke a joint... Rather that's probably what got you to this question in the first place.
Quote by Narwhale
Being a principle of science, that must work everywhere.
It doesn't work everywhere, though. There simply is not a universal definition of life. It still is a debate on what life exactly is. There is a variety of different definitions.
Quote by Narwhale

you're assuming all other life forms are human, and that they all speak our language. That pretty much means you're retarded.
No, but in infinite there would be, there would also be an infinite of worlds with other form of life

t doesn't work everywhere, though. There simply is not a universal definition of life. It still is a debate on what life exactly is. There is a variety of different definitions.

Which is what the next part of that paragraph is about

Expect a change soon
Quote by LinkManDX
Ah, the "Infinite Monkeys on Typwriters" theory.

Anyone seen Ricky Gervais talking to Karl Pilkington about this?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4mGXYVlLJQo
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']^ This man knows everything.

Seriously, don't even try and question him, he'll rip your face off with his awesomeness alone.
Quote by Kumanji
@ yet another win post from Vince. Kudos to you, sir.
Quote by Narwhale
No, but in infinite there would be, there would also be an infinite of worlds with other form of life

That doesn't make any sense, we are in infinite, and by worlds do you mean other planets or worlds as in other planet earths with creatures exactly like us?
TS, have you ever read Aurther C. Clarke's short story "The Other Tiger"?
It kind of deals with the subject. In a creepy way.
But yeah, if the universe is in fact infinite, there are an inifinite number of yous out there doing an infinite number of things an infinite number of times. Kind of hard to wrap your head around.
kill all humans
The universe isn't infinite, but that doesn't mean it's limited. So I don't think there is another crazynickman typing on ultimate-guitar.com billions of billions of billions of lightyears away, but I do believe there is life somewhere else that is distinct from humanity.
Quote by Douche ©
I may not be cool off the internet, but on the internet I am pretty cool.

Aww

The Pit Cliff Notes:
Quote by SOADfreak6
myabe we all suck thats why were sitting at a computer desk talking **** thro the enternet lol

If not all of us, at least him.

<//////>~
Quote by alaskan_ninja
TS, have you ever read Aurther C. Clarke's short story "The Other Tiger"?
It kind of deals with the subject. In a creepy way.
But yeah, if the universe is in fact infinite, there are an inifinite number of yous out there doing an infinite number of things an infinite number of times. Kind of hard to wrap your head around.

The universe is infinitely large, yes, but that DOES NOT mean that there are duplicate planets/solar systems/galaxies/you's/me's.
Quote by bene8754
The universe is infinitely large, yes, but that DOES NOT mean that there are duplicate planets/solar systems/galaxies/you's/me's.

If the Universe IS infinite like your saying and agreeing to it would mean theres a damn good chance there would be planets the same as ours doing the exact same thing sometimes altering the slightest movement, action making it a differant world.. Think about INFINITE, how is that in infinite amount of time and space these circumstances only happened once in the universe. It's more likely there is similar planets and life forms than it isn't IF the universe truly is infinite..

Lately scientists have been claiming the universe is constantly expanding at which point it will eventually switch and go back receeding, cleaning the pallet and starting fresh.
Quote by Jericho114
You want answers to questions like this, smoke a joint... Rather that's probably what got you to this question in the first place.

My friend did that. She smoked and wrote her entire philosiphy on life in this notebook. Pretty deep stuff too.
Quote by HelpTravesty
Hey everyone, SMOKE WEED!

It's raining blood from a lacerated sky.

All matter is infinite.
-\_/-
Quote by Fred1000000
BlackZeppelin is like Ghandi. With a bigger sense of humor.
it's the silence between the notes that makes the music.
do you know how many factors there are when it comes to determining what kind of world we live in? COUNTLESS. There is no way there is another planet out there with the EXACT same conditions that we have here on earth (life forms, history, social structure, language, ethics, traditions, weather conditions, etc.)

To say that the UNIVERSE is infinite, does not mean that there are infinite planets. I think you've misunderstood.
these are gas pillars in the eagle nebula
our whole solar system is so small on that pillar you cant even see it. our solar system isnt even the size of a pixel on this.
Attachments:
Star_Birth_small.jpg
Page 1 of 2