I have a Valve Junior so I'd like to crank it for recording. I have read that you should have the mic about 10 cm away from the amp. Fine. But when I do this, it is too loud and the recorded sound is distorted. So I tried turning the mic input down, but it clips the sound. I don't know if this is the right terminology, but when you see the recorded sound waves, they are flat and don't go past a certain point vertically. So what should I be doing?
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender MIM Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Digitech Bad Monkey
Electro Harmonix Big Muff
Ernie Ball VP Junior 250k
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Turn your amp down and see how it works, I don't know a great deal about this though.
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
I need to crank it to get overdrive out of the VJ.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender MIM Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Digitech Bad Monkey
Electro Harmonix Big Muff
Ernie Ball VP Junior 250k
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Power attenuators could help you. Take a 4 Ohm Hot Plate, connect it between the amp out and the speaker, and it may help you get the tone at lower volumes. Be careful though, as you are more likely to overcook the amp (you'll be tempted to crank the new warm sound).

But first, try moving the microphone away from the amp and dropping the preamp levels drastically.
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Mar 7, 2008,
move the mic away and drop the amp level as much as you possibly can.
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
What are you using.... what mic? what soundcard/interface/preamp, etc?

There is no way a Valve Junior should be blowing even a basic setup like that. Moving the mic away and turning down the amp will not have the desired effect. I, personally, put the mic right up to the grille of the amp, and have never shied away from giving it some gas in the volume department.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.