Page 1 of 2
if you kept halving a number you would have to eventually reach 0. I know that numbers have no end but if you think about it, eventually if you kept halving infinitely you would probably reach zero at some point.
just a thought i had today..
there is no number divided by two that is zero except for zero.... you may get to around 1.0 x 10^-34582350893652374652364928367524738659238746 but its still not zero no matter how miniscule it is
you couldn't because, as many people will soon tell you, you can't divide by zero so zero can't be half of anything.
Quote by Karvid
You win this thread. And UG. I haven't actually lol'd at a post in a really long time. Thanks for changing that. I expect a sig

He expected this.

Something you definitely need to know
I bet you thought that you were smart.
My style is impetuous.
My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.
I want your heart.
I want to eat your children.

-Mike Tyson
You'll never reach zero. If there's an infinite amount of numbers, then there's an infinite amount of numbers after a decimal point, thus never reaching true zero.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
yeah that really sucked
Quote by saxaxe
YESI love you.

Quote by Wulphy
Ever stuck their finger in their ass, just to see what it was like? I did

Quote by thewho65
My sister has a big ass
no. it's called the dychotemy (sp)paradox. I can't remember who came up with it but it basically states that a number is infinitely divisible. The way he described it, he said that if you were to try to reach the other side of a room, it's impossible because to take ten steps, must first take 5 steps, before that, 2.5 steps, and so on. Therefore, it's impossible because you would have to take an infinite number of steps to reach the other side of the room. Of course it's proven wrong several times a millisecond, but that's not the point. His point was that you can infinetely divide a number.

EDIT: I just remember another name for it is the "An arrow in flight will never reach it's target" paradox.
It's an asymptote. You'll never reach 0.

In real terms, you'll eventally reach a fraction that is pretty much zero, but in mathematical terms, you'll go on forever.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by ForfeitTheGame
if you kept halving a number you would have to eventually reach 0. I know that numbers have no end but if you think about it, eventually if you kept halving infinitely you would probably reach zero at some point.

not without rounding, because what happens if u multiply 0 by two... u come up with nothing, therefore if u cnt do it both ways it means u wouldnt get zero
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

I find it odd, however, that .99999999.....etc. is equal to 1.

Watch:

1/3 = .33333333endless

2/3 = .66666666endless

3/3 = See what I did here?
Well, it is off topic, but 0.9 recurring is equal to 1.

Theres an explination, but I'm to lazy to type it.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Yes, true - but that doesn't mean that you can reach zero, it's impossible.
It will get so close that nobody will give a sh*t and they might as well just call it zero. But technically it won't be zero.
No, it's impossible. The decimal place would just keep moving infinitely.
It all makes sense
We're capable of beauty
Through sounds that make on cringe
The dogs only hear us now

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
who gives a ****?
Quote by Sir Anonymous
I'd call you a crazy Brit, but your username seems to quite assure your sanity.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Epic username of pure epicness

To: Jesus=ConArtist
Quote by SeveralSpecies
I find it odd, however, that .99999999.....etc. is equal to 1.

Watch:

1/3 = .33333333endless

2/3 = .66666666endless

3/3 = See what I did here?

Who dat?
Quote by Lil Macker
Well, it is off topic, but 0.9 recurring is equal to 1.

Theres an explination, but I'm to lazy to type it.

lol look above your post.
Quote by FireandFlames
Wouldn't the numbers in the decimal place just keep going further and further infinitely?

Yep Its impossible to divide by zero. As you know, anything multiplied by zero, equals zero, same with division.
Quote by Atomic_Assault
lololololol that was epic andyd93. you just made my day

PROUD EVERTONIAN
Quote by andyd93
Yep Its impossible to divide by zero. As you know, anything multiplied by zero, equals zero, same with division.

What? I don't believe you!

2/0

Oh shii....
Quote by ForfeitTheGame

My head hurts - this is the second thread i've opened in a row talking about infinity.
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']^ This man knows everything.

Seriously, don't even try and question him, he'll rip your face off with his awesomeness alone.
Quote by Kumanji
@ yet another win post from Vince. Kudos to you, sir.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
What? I don't believe you!

2/0

Oh shii....

What have you done?!

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by americnidiot
there is no number divided by two that is zero except for zero.... you may get to around 1.0 x 10^-34582350893652374652364928367524738659238746 but its still not zero no matter how miniscule it is

+1
sry to bust ur bubble
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Look what happened to me!!!!

I've felt like crap all night, that's the first thing that's actually made me smile

Thanks!

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Jesus Christ.

I wonder how many more people will post in this thread saying the exact same thing everyone else has said in an attempt to prove the TS wrong.

I think he gets it.
I was thinking about this the other night, but no matter how hard it is to belive, you will never reach zero
Quote by Rooster666
I was thinking about this the other night, but no matter how hard it is to belive, you will never reach zero

Please don't tell me you actually tried.
Page 1 of 2