Page 1 of 2
Ok the krank just wasn't for me tone wise so now i'm back on the hunt. I'm looking for a really smooth high gain. I dislike the 5150 because of its harsh grainy sound so I want the opposite something thick sounding but with a lot of clarity. Any suggestions are welcome but I would prefer something that isn't obscenely loud such as a 100 watt head. I play most genres of metal but detest the tone of most bands due to the artificial compressed sound. $1200 is my limit because anymore is just not practical right now. Thank you in advance
Gear:
Ibanez RG321 SD Blackout

6505 combo

Custom Superstrat
So not very compressed and more smooth than harsh...
Maybe something like a Mesa F30/F50? I'm not sure...trying to think of a 'smooth' gained amp other than that or a Mark IV... Maybe a Laney GH50L?

Edit: ^ Damn, beat to it
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Can you go used? Maybe take a look at the JSX, if you don't need THAT much gain.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by Yngwi3
So not very compressed and more smooth than harsh...
Maybe something like a Mesa F30/F50? I'm not sure...trying to think of a 'smooth' gained amp other than that or a Mark IV... Maybe a Laney GH50L?

Edit: ^ Damn, beat to it

john, im just too c00l for u
Maybe look at the randall amp that lets you put in modules. Idr the exact name, but if you buy these preamp modules, you could pretty much get any sound you wanted.
thanks for the replies. I've actually been looking at the laney and it seems pretty sweet. Plus Opeth use them . I'm not terribly fond of the recto's but the f series seems interesting. The Jsx seemed very fizzy when i tried it but that may have been due to the settings I used. I can go used.
Gear:
Ibanez RG321 SD Blackout

6505 combo

Custom Superstrat
I agree with the Randall suggestion. The RM100M sounds amazing with the Ultra module. There's also the RM50HB which should be cheaper. Pair that with a decent cab (I've been referred to Avatar cabs on numerous occasions) and you're set.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
I definitely recommend a JSX. Maybe an older mesa mark series.
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
I've been looking at the JSX and it seems that when eq'd right it sounds killer but I haven't had an excellent experience with it. The more i look at the laney the more I doubt its metal abilities. The mark IV seems sick but expensive as hell. The Randall MTS series seems very versatile but I don't want a lot of just OK tones I want something killer.
Gear:
Ibanez RG321 SD Blackout

6505 combo

Custom Superstrat
Save up more money. You could get a VHT Deliverence 60 for around $1000...maybe an ENGL or a different VHT if you keep saving.
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
Let's go team!

J S X!

J S X!

J S X!
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

in addition to the ones mentioned, have a look at the ENGL Blackmore too. Used should be just under your pricerange.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Engl's tend to be a bit harsh no? Not that I've tried one so I may head over to a shop in naples that stocks them. Forest King I would rather not spend more than $1200 due to practicality.
Gear:
Ibanez RG321 SD Blackout

6505 combo

Custom Superstrat
Quote by Gain_Junkie93
Engl's tend to be a bit harsh no? Not that I've tried one so I may head over to a shop in naples that stocks them. Forest King I would rather not spend more than $1200 due to practicality.

Ah i understand. What kind of tone are you looking for.
Quote by tarlkea
Look at the XXX too, its less expensive than the others i think, and i read somewhere that its crunch channel is very similar to the JSX's ultra channel, so you'll definitely have enough gain on the ultra channel of the XXX, and imo there is a good deal of clarity with gain too.
Check out a ENGL Fireball or Screamer
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Engl seems really clear gain wise but like I said I want a thick smooth high gain tone with plenty of clarity because if there is one thing iI can't stand it's muddy tone or fizzy tone.
Gear:
Ibanez RG321 SD Blackout

6505 combo

Custom Superstrat
Is the Jsx really that similar to the XXX because the XXX really makes me want to hurl everytime I play it. It seems like a good option for versatility but the high gain seemed very thin. Would the fireball be able to do a thick smooth tone like I am looking for?
Gear:
Ibanez RG321 SD Blackout

6505 combo

Custom Superstrat
used Randall MTS RM50.

it's a gem.

i praise them all the time...i own one....and i absolutely love the all tube tone!!!

look into these!!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by Gain_Junkie93
Is the Jsx really that similar to the XXX because the XXX really makes me want to hurl everytime I play it. It seems like a good option for versatility but the high gain seemed very thin. Would the fireball be able to do a thick smooth tone like I am looking for?

You gotta be less picky for your pricerange man!
Quote by tarlkea
a used mesa roadking.
Ibanez RG1570
B.C. Rich KKV
Jackson RR3
Jackson RR5
Ibanez S320
Ibanez S520EX
Vox AD50VT-XL
Dunlop Zakk Wylde Wah
Marshall 2203KK
Marshall 1960A 4x12 Cab
Boss ML-2 Metalcore
Coffin Case Blooddrive
Quote by Gain_Junkie93

the Blackmore is a different animal compared to the rest of the line IMO. I didn't think it was harsh at all really, although you could jack the presence and treble if you wanted to get there. I actually like kind of a harsh aggressive metal tone, but the Blackmore was one of the few amps I've owned with a more smooth open sound to it, that I still liked for modern metal tones. I think you should try all the amps suggested, but definitely play the blackmore too if you can.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by COBHC_Slayer
a used mesa roadking.

You can't get a used Road King under about 1650...
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Quote by Gain_Junkie93

Actually the first few minutes i played it i had the same feeling, but after a lot of eqing because of the active eq controls it has not much thinness to it and of course you can't have the volume at 1 lol
I've pretty much narrowed it down to either a Jsx or a Mark IV. I'm leaning towards jsx because of all the positive suggestions and the fact that it seems very sensitive to tapping which is a huge plus.
Gear:
Ibanez RG321 SD Blackout

6505 combo

Custom Superstrat
I don't know if this guy still lurks the forums, but mexicanshred (or however you spell it) owned both, and I remember him saying that the Mesa killed the JSX.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Damn I was hoping to get a reply saying go for the jsx but now once again I'm thinking Mark IV is going to be freakin godly.
Gear:
Ibanez RG321 SD Blackout

6505 combo

Custom Superstrat
Used Mesa F-30 or F-50. Those have very clear and smooth hi-gain force. I think the would be perfect for what you are going at.
Quote by Gain_Junkie93
Damn I was hoping to get a reply saying go for the jsx but now once again I'm thinking Mark IV is going to be freakin godly.

A mark iv will be much more versatile. You can do pretty much anything with one.
Quote by tarlkea
How would a Bugera 333xl and a 2x12 vader cab sound sice it is supposed to be a jsx clone and cheap?
Gear:
Ibanez RG321 SD Blackout

6505 combo

Custom Superstrat
Back to the Laney Gh50l does it do the tone I'm looking for because I just found one for $525 and I most likely will attenuate it and I could stick an Od-9 in front of it for more gain.
Gear:
Ibanez RG321 SD Blackout

6505 combo

Custom Superstrat
Quote by Gain_Junkie93
I dislike the 5150 because of its harsh grainy sound

Harsh grainy sounds? mayby you just didnt try it on the right settings but also be reminded that any all tube high gain head needs to be pushed fairly loud to get a really good tone you gotta make those tubes work lol
Gear: Peavey 5150 Head
Peavey 5150 cab
Epiphone Les Paul Standerd
Gibson Flying V
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Marshal JCM 800 1960 A Lead Cab

Quote by dcdossett65
I dont think i'd ever buy a gibson, the epiphones dont feel any different to me, besides the sound.
Quote by outlived
Harsh grainy sounds? mayby you just didnt try it on the right settings but also be reminded that any all tube high gain head needs to be pushed fairly loud to get a really good tone you gotta make those tubes work lol

+1, thats why its tough to have a 120 watt amp in your house and crank it, which was one of the reasons i got my triple xxx.
Quote by Gain_Junkie93
Back to the Laney Gh50l does it do the tone I'm looking for because I just found one for $525 and I most likely will attenuate it and I could stick an Od-9 in front of it for more gain.

You won’t need an overdrive pedal with the GH50L... Trust me.

It is an absolutely amazing amp. Has great cleans AND is great at high gain. It has that really nice all tube sound and has bucket loads of gain. It is also very versatile. Can do metal, blues, rock, jazz, funk etc. The only downside is no reverb.

Have a listen to the tone (awesome playing too):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D_07LrHScs
Sweet I'm going with the GH50L and a Vader cab. Thanks for all the help.
Gear:
Ibanez RG321 SD Blackout

6505 combo

Custom Superstrat
Page 1 of 2