Poll: XJ frets, good or bad for a novice.
Poll Options
View poll results: XJ frets, good or bad for a novice.
XJ frets=good
57 85%
XJ frets=bad
10 15%
Voters: 67.
XJ frets for a novice guitarist? any comments and experience very much appreciated.
Good, forces you to develop a light touch. It'll punish you immediately if you press too hard since the pitch will sharpen noticably.

So, it's good for your technique.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by Kanthras
Good, forces you to develop a light touch. It'll punish you immediately if you press too hard since the pitch will sharpen noticably.

is this talking from experience? and many have said with chords, if fingers played not near the fret itself, the notes become out of tune etc.

Anything you can add?
Good will give you light touch.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
It doesn't really matter, you will develop a preference.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
i went through a whole extra-thin fret stage in my life.

Dark times, jumbo ftw.
Ug's Stupidest Member of the Year - 2005
Good

EDIT: Wait... Jumbo frets are when the fret is wider right? I know it's a noobish question.

EDIT2: Nevermind found out what it is. It would probably be harder for a beginner.
Last edited by Masonpwiley at Mar 7, 2008,
I happen to like really small frets, so I put bad
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
jumbo frets are good no matter what level your on
but its really preference...i like jumbo or maple either
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
I would personally say good, but most guitars arent jumbo frets,
so if you want speed, stick to regular, plus itll
make you a better player in a long run.
But thats my 2 cents.
I like a balance of size the fender style med/jumbos are just about right. For me if the frets huge it's hard to get clean notes out of the higher frets
Gets you used to em, as most guitars (high end) have XJ frets...well, the guitars I like. hehe.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by Kanthras

+1

I started out on regular frets and few months later got a jumbo fret guitar and had to relearn everything again. But i liked it because it got me out of my bad habits of pressing to hard and made develop a light touch. Then i switched to XJ and being already used to jumbos it was a breeze and now i love XJ's the best...
Quote by IbanezPsycho
+1

I started out on regular frets and few months later got a jumbo fret guitar and had to relearn everything again. But i liked it because it got me out of my bad habits of pressing to hard and made develop a light touch. Then i switched to XJ and being already used to jumbos it was a breeze and now i love XJ's the best...

did the XJ frets affect chords or anything like that? (negativly)
bad idea. guitarists who have a 'light touch' are lame.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Jumbo frets all the way. I even want my guitars to have jumbo frets and be scalloped.

Scallop+jumbo frets=win
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
Quote by Epic_chef
did the XJ frets affect chords or anything like that? (negativly)

Nope, only way its going to effect anything is if you press down to hard. And heres the thing your still pressing down normally its not like you have barley touch them. Fretting a note is the same on any guitar. It's just when you have regular size frets your used to your strings touching or almost touching the wood. Since the frets are raised your going down the same distance but if you try and take it to the fretboard your gonna go out of tune... People just call it a light touch because you don't have the luxury of using the fretboard as a stopping point. Hope that makes since..
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Nope, only way its going to effect anything is if you press down to hard. And heres the thing your still pressing down normally its not like you have barley touch them. Fretting a note is the same on any guitar. It's just when you have regular size frets your used to your strings touching or almost touching the wood. Since the frets are raised your going down the same distance but if you try and take it to the fretboard your gonna go out of tune... People just call it a light touch because you don't have the luxury of using the fretboard as a stopping point. Hope that makes since..

It did. 3 Cheers for that.